New International Stadium Designs and builds

Been watching the progress of the new Golden State Warriors stadium the last couple of years as they move from Oakland across the bay to San Francisco and part of an multi billion dollar urban renewal and redevelopment of an old wharf area. The original plan was to be at Pier 30-32 close to the Bay Bridge but a couple of years of s**t fighting saw them give up and move down the bay a few kms and set up at Mission Bay.

The Chase Center ( US spelling) will be 18,000 seater and ready for 2019-20 season see more pictures and specs at
http://www.chasecenter.com/

920x920.jpg

Last edited:

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Been watching the progress of the new Golden State Warriors stadium the last couple of years as they move from Oakland across the bay to San Francisco and part of an multi billion dollar urban renewal and redevelopment of an old wharf area. The original plan was to be at Pier 30-32 close to the Bay Bridge but a couple of years of s**t fighting saw them give up and move down the bay a few kms and set up at Mission Bay.

The Chase Center ( US spelling) will be 18,000 seater and ready for 2019-20 season see more pictures and specs at
http://www.chasecenter.com/

920x920.jpg

This really really frustrates me and I understand supply and demand and they. An drive their prices and revenue up with the move to a new stadium, but they have had over 200 consecutive sell outs at Oracle with a capacity of about 1500 more. This means that 1500 fans who love their team are going to miss out at every single home game!
Given the love of basketball in that city, I think they are just being greedy and a 25000 seat stadium is what is really needed!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This really really frustrates me and I understand supply and demand and they. An drive their prices and revenue up with the move to a new stadium, but they have had over 200 consecutive sell outs at Oracle with a capacity of about 1500 more. This means that 1500 fans who love their team are going to miss out at every single home game!
Given the love of basketball in that city, I think they are just being greedy and a 25000 seat stadium is what is really needed!

Why are you frustrated? Are you missing out on a seat? Its a $1 billion USD state of the art stadium. An extra 7,000 seats will cost at least $200 million. Have you offered to finance the extra cost? Would local government have given approval for a stadium at least 1/3rd larger?? By making it sate of the art means there is a better chance it will be hired for 100+ days rather than just the 41 days for home games plus play off games. Bigger isn't always better!!

TTRRAAVVIISS

All Australian
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why are you frustrated? Are you missing out on a seat? Its a $1 billion USD state of the art stadium. An extra 7,000 seats will cost at least $200 million. Have you offered to finance the extra cost? Would local government have given approval for a stadium at least 1/3rd larger?? By making it sate of the art means there is a better chance it will be hired for 100+ days rather than just the 41 days for home games plus play off games. Bigger isn't always better!!

I'd say they kept it at 18k for a number of key reasons. One being that warriors won't sell out as often if the size was 20k plus. The core warrior fan base won't bother travelling from east bay to the mission district to watch them. So the warriors will essentially need to capture a new (and possibly fickle) market, more affluent people that live in San Fran city area. East bay people seem pretty pissed at both the raiders and warriors moving out of Oakland and will probably choose to just watch at home or in a local bar instead of going to higher priced games in a state of the art stadium

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

It is frustrating when a franchise which has completely sold out their last 200 games in an arena of about 1500 more, can you not see what is wrong with that? 1500 fans are going to miss out on watching their side every single home game and it's built on the pure greed that they will be able to add more to the price of their seats and pricing out families that maybe able to now.

It is frustrating when a franchise which has completely sold out their last 200 games in an arena of about 1500 more, can you not see what is wrong with that? 1500 fans are going to miss out on watching their side every single home game and it's built on the pure greed that they will be able to add more to the price of their seats and pricing out families that maybe able to now.....
But why would anyone be frustrated if it doesn't effect them personally? See you called it a franchise not a sporting club - which says straight away its about business. The owners of the Warriors in 2010 paid a then record $450mil for an NBA franchise/licence. Its a private ownership system league and the private owners have the right to make a decent return on equity and they are also spending $1 bil on a new stadium, which they believe will give the owners the best chance to get a better return on their investment, after they pay off the $1 bil stadium, and to make $$$ to pump into a wining team year in year out. NFL stadiums have been getting bigger capacity, whereas NHL, MLB and NBA stadiums haven't been getting bigger but smaller and more facilities since the early 1990's when all 4 North American sports went into expansion mode. That is their system and their marketplace, so I just don't see why an Aussie sports fan would get frustrated about the way they run their businesses ie leagues.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38262946

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But why would anyone be frustrated if it doesn't effect them personally? See you called it a franchise not a sporting club - which says straight away its about business. The owners of the Warriors in 2010 paid a then record $450mil for an NBA franchise/licence. Its a private ownership system league and the private owners have the right to make a decent return on equity and they are also spending $1 bil on a new stadium, which they believe will give the owners the best chance to get a better return on their investment, after they pay off the $1 bil stadium, and to make $$$ to pump into a wining team year in year out. NFL stadiums have been getting bigger capacity, whereas NHL, MLB and NBA stadiums haven't been getting bigger but smaller and more facilities since the early 1990's when all 4 North American sports went into expansion mode. That is their system and their marketplace, so I just don't see why an Aussie sports fan would get frustrated about the way they run their businesses ie leagues.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38262946
Gotta feel for the Oakland fans actually living in Oakland. Plus not sure Vegas would have a huge population that would care a whole lot about sport at least, where the oakland fans have been extremely loyal.
Still would be a great away trip for travelling fans.

Gotta feel for the Oakland fans actually living in Oakland. Plus not sure Vegas would have a huge population that would care a whole lot about sport at least, where the oakland fans have been extremely loyal.
Yeah I feel for all fans who have a team moved away from their city and moved to somewhere the owners reckon they will do better or new owners buy a team with the express purpose of moving them. But they are always realistic possibilities when you barrack/support a team that is privately owned and you have no real input into decisions the owner's and management make.

I have a Canadian mate who grew up a mad ice hockey fan in Thunder Bay, moved to Toronto in his early 20's, but then by the time he got to 30 he lost his passion for ice hockey ( and other professional sports), because he saw how the game changed so much and it was all about the business side of things and not the sports side of things. He still watches the scores and is interested in the business type decisions made, as he worked in senior marketing roles for large corporations and ran a regional division of software firm in Dallas for most of this century, before starting up his own business, but he just can't watch with any great passion he reckons. He is intrigued by the Oz sports community club aspect of teams that play in our different national leagues and he wonders how long they can ignore private ownership, especially the 2 big leagues of AFL and NRL as other national leagues have gone the private ownership route.

Its getting ugly in San Diego. People assumed they would keep following the team in LA, but there is a lot of anger about the move and hate towards la

Rich

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought we should have a thread where we can note new proposals and things for stadiums overseas.

Ill kick it off with Chelseas proposal for Stamford Bridge

Chelsea have been looking to redevelop for years - there was talk ages ago that they were going to knock down the Earls Court and rebuild there but nothing happened of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-new-stadiums-stamford-bridge-white-hart-lane

Nice article today about the challenges Chelsea and Spurs face redeveloping.

Rich

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I feel for all fans who have a team moved away from their city and moved to somewhere the owners reckon they will do better or new owners buy a team with the express purpose of moving them. But they are always realistic possibilities when you barrack/support a team that is privately owned and you have no real input into decisions the owner's and management make.

I have a Canadian mate who grew up a mad ice hockey fan in Thunder Bay, moved to Toronto in his early 20's, but then by the time he got to 30 he lost his passion for ice hockey ( and other professional sports), because he saw how the game changed so much and it was all about the business side of things and not the sports side of things. He still watches the scores and is interested in the business type decisions made, as he worked in senior marketing roles for large corporations and ran a regional division of software firm in Dallas for most of this century, before starting up his own business, but he just can't watch with any great passion he reckons. He is intrigued by the Oz sports community club aspect of teams that play in our different national leagues and he wonders how long they can ignore private ownership, especially the 2 big leagues of AFL and NRL as other national leagues have gone the private ownership route.
A few NRL clubs are privately owned.

The AFL's want to control as much as possible and the failed Edelsten experiment play their part for our code. But as you say, it will be interesting what the future holds.

A few NRL clubs are privately owned.

The AFL's want to control as much as possible and the failed Edelsten experiment play their part for our code. But as you say, it will be interesting what the future holds.
Indeed, but it is still the minority and when we first started talking about it it was only 2, Brisbane and Melbourne.

NZ Warriors?

They've just about always been privately owned, including a Maori tribe at one point!
Ok, I probably was wrong all those years ago, as I thought they originally were run by a partnership involving the NZRL body.

Rich

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyway, back to stadiums, I love this photo of Stamford Bridge in 1973 from the article linked above.
E31B042E-62DA-4A20-9F95-36AE52CB9E48-3008-0000043BE28727A3_tmp.jpg

And I'm no Chelsea fan. Something about the city backdrop with it.

TTRRAAVVIISS

All Australian
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is frustrating when a franchise which has completely sold out their last 200 games in an arena of about 1500 more, can you not see what is wrong with that? 1500 fans are going to miss out on watching their side every single home game and it's built on the pure greed that they will be able to add more to the price of their seats and pricing out families that maybe able to now.

I understand your point of view to an extent. But have you checked the cost of a season ticket for the warriors at oracle?

Check stubhub. The cost of tix to a warriors home game is insane. Hate to burst your bubble but it ain't like successful NBA teams are handing out discounted seats to working class families.

And as for the 200 plus sell outs. As soon as the Curry and co winning run dries up so to will the run of sell out home games.

Warriors need to maximise profits and opportunities for better facilities while the iron is hot. Moving across the bay also makes it more attractive to future players to join the club. They can live in San Fran and be close to the stadium.

It ain't great for an east bay fan, but how many Oakland families could seriously afford season tickets at oracle at the moment?

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I understand your point of view to an extent. But have you checked the cost of a season ticket for the warriors at oracle?

Check stubhub. The cost of tix to a warriors home game is insane. Hate to burst your bubble but it ain't like successful NBA teams are handing out discounted seats to working class families.

And as for the 200 plus sell outs. As soon as the Curry and co winning run dries up so to will the run of sell out home games.

Warriors need to maximise profits and opportunities for better facilities while the iron is hot. Moving across the bay also makes it more attractive to future players to join the club. They can live in San Fran and be close to the stadium.

It ain't great for an east bay fan, but how many Oakland families could seriously afford season tickets at oracle at the moment?

Yeah, tickets aren't cheap, believe me I know but it was a bucket list item that I had to check off, but still, at the end of the day 1500 people are going to miss out to every single home game, no matter how ever you spin that it is terrible for fans who love love sport.

Golden State have an extremely good record of their fans turning up even when they are loosing with a lot of sell out and close to capacity for most games even back in the days where they were a struggling franchise and as for the location, yes moving across the bay will be a great move for the franchise, but it is hardly like Oracle is out in the burbs, it's really just over the bridge or a little train ride away

The new LA Rams stadium will be ready in 2019. Called Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park it will host the 2021 Super Bowl and since the Rams announced they would help build it and play there, they went into an arrangement with both San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders to also play games there from 2019 depending on who accepted the option first. The Chargers exercised their option first on 12 of January this year and are moving the team north to LA and the backlash from fans has been vocal the last 2 weeks.

The stadium has a 80,000 capacity which is expandable to 100,000 for Super Bowl and other events. The whole development costs $2.6 bil USD but is for the development of a 298 acre entertainment and apartments complex. They are building a 5 acre lake and the whole development is referred to as City of Champions Revitalization Initiative. There have been other proposal for a new LA stadium but the owner of the Rams did a deal with the group that owned some of this parcel of land to go with the parcel of land he owned. See more at

http://www.hollywoodparklife.com/
and
http://www.harthowerton.com/case-study/city-of-champions/

la-sp-nfl-stadium-inglewood-20150322

Edit I don't know why the images aren't coming up but here is their links
img-header-stadium.jpg

http://www.hollywoodparklife.com/wp-content/themes/hollywood_park/images/img-header-stadium.jpg

Rams_Ground_Breaking_Images_03.jpg

http://www.hollywoodparklife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Rams_Ground_Breaking_Images_03.jpg

Rams_Ground_Breaking_Images_05.jpg

http://www.hollywoodparklife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Rams_Ground_Breaking_Images_05.jpg

Last edited:

TTRRAAVVIISS

All Australian
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, tickets aren't cheap, believe me I know but it was a bucket list item that I had to check off, but still, at the end of the day 1500 people are going to miss out to every single home game, no matter how ever you spin that it is terrible for fans who love love sport.

Golden State have an extremely good record of their fans turning up even when they are loosing with a lot of sell out and close to capacity for most games even back in the days where they were a struggling franchise and as for the location, yes moving across the bay will be a great move for the franchise, but it is hardly like Oracle is out in the burbs, it's really just over the bridge or a little train ride away

I think people in SF city would consider oracle in the burbs and a hassle to go to. At least a 30 min train ride from Embarcadero. If you don't live near a BART station in SF, then you'll have to drive to one or catch a bus or cable car to a BART.

Then if you choose to drive the traffic on the bay bridge after work is next level. I never seen anything like it (besides NY, and I ain't been to LA). I wouldnt bother going to a regular game at oracle if I lived on the SF side of the bay.

And if SF based fans can't be assed going to oracle I doubt the 1500 east bay fans your concerned about are going to bother to make the trip to the mission district. Hence why they are pissed the team are going across the bay. They are pissed cause it is easy for east bay fans to get to oracle and they don't care that it's hard for SF fans to get to oracle. In 2020, east bay fans will have to cross the bridge and a lot of them, I'd say at least 1500, won't bother going to as many games.

I can't imagine that, with all the research and crowd projections the GSW would have done for the stadium, they would go with a smaller stadium if they thought they could consistently sell out a 20k plus stadium. The projections must have told them a 18k stadium is the right size.

I understand people saying "well this move to SF sux for loyal east bay fans as around 19k turn up week in week out and it's all about the economics and ALL east bay fans get screwed". I get that and agree. You can't deny if you were a east bay GSW fan you'd be pissed.

But to say 1500 people now can't get to a game in SF? I don't agree. Lets say currently 15k GSW fans at oracle are east bay fans. That means 5k come across the bridge from SF to oracle home games (I'm just guessing. Maybe less maybe more come from SF). But there is no way 15k east bay fans are gonna cross the bridge to watch them in SF every home game. You might be lucky to get 5k purely because of the inconveience of getting across the bay. So the 1500 number becomes kind of redundant. Moving to SF means the dynamics of the GSW fan market has completely changed and flipped on its head.

It would be like moving Geelong to MCG full time. Or, an even better analogy due to the way the harbour dissects Sydney, moving Manly Sea Eagles home games to the SFS. A much smaller percentage of fans are going to travel from Geelong or Manly to see their team play every home game at MCG and SCG. Therefore you have to re do your crowd projections based on the demographics in the new area your moving to.

Back