News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

D BRIDGE

Premiership Player
May 28, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Totally get that he was playing against low-level players in that game... I'm happy that in any clip I have watched him in, that he has the same "take on the player" attacking attitude (although I will say that many do in this game).

He clearly does go ok at the top level of the game though as he won young player of the year.

The kid just looks like a legit talent and it's very exciting because we are not flushed with too many quality young prospects.

Last edited:

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Totally get that he was playing against low-level players in that game... I'm happy that in any clip I have watched him in, that he has the same "take on the player" attacking attitude (although I will say that many do in this game).

He clearly does go ok at the top level of the game though as he won young player of the year.

The kid just looks like a legit talent and it's very exciting because we are not flushed with too many quality young prospects.
He’s a class act. It’s a great signing for Geelong. I think he definitely has the talent to make it. No question about rhat whatsoever. A line breaking half back with power and pace and a decent contested mark too. The biggest issue will be whether he settles into life in Australia. Mayo would be one of the highest profile glamour sides in the GAA playing in big games pretty much every year, unlike say Laois (Zach Tuohys county) so the temptation to go back and play GAA will always be there for Oisin. In saying that it’s there for mark o connor too in Kerry.
Will be watching his progress with interest

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
He’s a class act. It’s a great signing for Geelong. I think he definitely has the talent to make it. No question about rhat whatsoever. A line breaking half back with power and pace and a decent contested mark too. The biggest issue will be whether he settles into life in Australia. Mayo would be one of the highest profile glamour sides in the GAA playing in big games pretty much every year, unlike say Laois (Zach Tuohys county) so the temptation to go back and play GAA will always be there for Oisin. In saying that it’s there for mark o connor too in Kerry.
You can not make the money that you can in the AFL that's what he is coming for

No doubt he''s a great prospect with a potentially very high ceiling.

Long long way to go however and whilst im happy he's on our list.. this will be a 2-3 year slow cook IMO so ill hold the parade for a little bit.

He's got great ability... let see how it translates to AFL

GO Catters

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

The Curse of Mayo would weigh pretty heavily though, and might encourage frustrated players to keep looking elsewhere!

The story of the curse dates back to that last All-Ireland win for the county just after World War Two. The Mayo panel (team) were travelling back to the west from Dublin along with the Sam Maguire after beating Meath.

Apparently the team, who were travelling in the back of a truck, passed a funeral in the town of Foxford without paying their respects and stopping.

The curse was then put on them that they would not win an Alll-Ireland again until every member of that team was dead. It is believed a priest or a woman put the curse on them.

Two members of the panel are still alive today, Dr Padraig Carney who lives in the US and Paddy Prendergast who lives in Kerry...

Thanks for your comments on this fella, much appreciated. but just a general question about the afl recruiting all the guns from the Irish game. The locals must be livid with it surely??

Clubber79

Debutant
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The Curse of Mayo would weigh pretty heavily though, and might encourage frustrated players to keep looking elsewhere!

In a way, I think that almost makes the decision tougher for the Mayo guys, particularly someone like Oisin who is an established senior player.
They are always in the mix at the business end of the championship, they just can't get over the line.
Some day they will.
Imagine that day finally comes and you're not part of it?

Clubber79

Debutant
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks for your comments on this fella, much appreciated. but just a general question about the afl recruiting all the guns from the Irish game. The locals must be livid with it surely??

They're mostly recruiting younger guys who have yet to make their debut at senior level so there isn't any real concern to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, Mayo fans would rather Oisin Mullin stayed where he was but anyone I've spoken to wishes him the best of luck and understands that he wants to have a crack at being a professional sportsman.
In addition, there is a particular type of player that the AFL is typically looking for, i.e. a running half back.
That is the area of the field that suits Irish players the most based on their existing instincts and skill set.
Taller, key position recruits don't tend to do as well.
The running half backs tend to be easier to replace and Mayo are a great example of a team that has other guys who can play the role Mullin plays, while maybe not being quite at his level yet.

To be honest, there used to be a lot more interest in the AFL amongst GAA people, particularly in the early days when Tadhg Kennelly went over and we had the International Rules series, but that's kind of faded over time.
You'd rarely hear anyone mention it other than to highlight an Irish guy having a good game.
It's certainly not seen as some kind of boogeyman plundering all our young stars, although there was a fear maybe 10 years or more ago that it was going in that direction.
In general, the GAA and GAA people wish the players well going to Oz, understanding I think that only a small number will actually make it and the rest will come back and pick up where they left off.

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
They're mostly recruiting younger guys who have yet to make their debut at senior level so there isn't any real concern to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, Mayo fans would rather Oisin Mullin stayed where he was but anyone I've spoken to wishes him the best of luck and understands that he wants to have a crack at being a professional sportsman.
In addition, there is a particular type of player that the AFL is typically looking for, i.e. a running half back.
That is the area of the field that suits Irish players the most based on their existing instincts and skill set.
The running half backs tend to be easier to replace and Mayo are a great example of a team that has other guys who can play the role Mullin plays, while maybe not being quite at his level yet.

To be honest, there used to be a lot more interest in the AFL amongst GAA people, particularly in the early days when Tadhg Kennelly went over and we had the International Rules series, but that's kind of faded over time.
You'd rarely hear anyone mention it other than to highlight an Irish guy having a good game.
It's certainly not seen as some kind of boogeyman plundering all our young stars, although there was a fear maybe 10 years or more ago that it was going in that direction.
In general, the GAA and GAA people wish the players well going to Oz, understanding I think that only a small number will actually make it and the rest will come back and pick up where they left off.
A bit like our guys going over to the states as NFL punters. Just wish them the best and accept that we will never quite understand why they are wearing shoulder pads and helmets.

Thanks for your reply. I have always wondered about this issue. It’s nice to hear the locals are supportive of there guys heading to oz for a crack at the big time. Much appreciated mate.

At the preseason Dec 19 Europe combine Mullin's 20m sprint (2.86sec) agility (8.06sec) and Vertical Jump (70cm) would have placed him as the fastest at the 2020 Australian NAB combine, 3rd in agility and equal 3rd in Standing jump.

He’s athletic.
Seeds will be the judge of that. He applies a single “shimmy” criterion.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Whether he makes it or not it's a great sign that we can attract an elite young player ahead of the other clubs. Unless I'm missing someone his Gaelic career sounds more impressive than any prior recruit. Normally AFL clubs are recruiting juniors with O'Connor being about the most highly rated that has come here before.

Clubber79

Debutant
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Tommy Walsh (below) would have had a higher profile when he went to St Kilda because he had actually won an All-Ireland championship with Kerry before he left, plus he was an attacking player so they tend to get more headlines anyway. Other than that, you're right to say it's nearly all been younger guys who were elite level u-18 players but had yet to play at senior level.

490960.jpg

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Something strange going on here guys. I heard this rumour at a club match in Mayo 2 weeks ago from as close to the horses mouth as you can get, and I was surprised to see the move announced by Geelong a few days later.

Something strange going on here guys. I heard this rumour at a club match in Mayo 2 weeks ago from as close to the horses mouth as you can get, and I was surprised to see the move announced by Geelong a few days later.
Kid literally made a video talking about how excited he was to be coming to Geelong. Can't have been that big a stumbling block

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kid literally made a video talking about how excited he was to be coming to Geelong. Can't have been that big a stumbling block
That’s what I thought too when I saw this. John Fogarty is a decent journo and he wouldn’t have run this story without something substantial behind it. He’s no Tom Browne! Maybe something had happened to disrupt the move.

Whether he has signed or not wouldn't make any difference in terms of whether he changed his mind or not. Contract would be unenforceable if had signed it and decided to stay in Ireland anyway. Bigger concern would be whether another AFL club has gotten in his ear. More likely though if he hasn't signed, its just because they haven't finalised all details.

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Does he have a player manager acting on his behalf? I know part of the role of a manager is to play funny buggers around contract-signing time, hoping to up the final figure and of course their cut of that figure.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
The kid had a tough time in their championship against Tyrone. He was up against a larger, veteran star for much of it. Still, he looked good when he pressed forward. Will be interesting how he handles the physicality of Aussie Rules.

IF he makes it big, Merrick has a big year, and even though he wasn't imported by GFC, Tuohy continues...That would have the Cats with the most Irishmen playing seniors. In that situation, I can just see the AFL coming up with a new rule that restricts or equalizes recruiting from Ireland. :winkv1:

Back