News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

merely speculation, for various angles
There could be a lot of tribalism between the GAA counties, or even underworld involvement what with it supposedly being amateur. It isn't unheard of sports clubs, not at the elite level, having unsavory links. Under the table stuff probably is common place.

If I was place a bet in a pool, I go with something covid related.

You reckon the Mayo mafia have got to him? ;)

Anyone got access to the recent Geelong Addy article about this? Headline is 'Fresh Reports Cats Irish Recruit May Not Front' and indicates it has a response from the club about it.

Along with some quotes from November. No new "official" statements in the article. Addy writers reading bigfooty again?
Note sure - the journo who used to be a mod on this board has moved on from the Addy

Either way it is not a promising start. Homesick before he arrives. Hopefully O'Connor and Tuohy have been engaged as consultants to sell the 'dream'.
TBH it is hard to say - with Covid raging through Europe and visas/travel problematic, this may not be as simple as all that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mullin said that “going to Australia to play professionally was a really interesting opportunity and it was something I wanted to research and consider in detail.

“It was a big decision for me as playing for Mayo with my friends is a huge honour and something I love doing, so I wanted to take the time to consider all aspects of it. After some careful thinking and a lot of support from family, I have decided to stay in Ireland and I am really excited about joining up with the Mayo Senior Football panel as soon as possible.

“I am grateful to everyone who helped me during the process. I especially want to send my appreciation to everyone at Geelong Football Club. I want to thank them for their understanding and wish them every success for the future.”

Mayo chairman Seamus Tuohy lauded Mullin’s “brave decision”, while manager James Horan welcomed the 21-year-old’s call to remain. “It has been a pleasure to work with Oisín since he came into the panel in 2019. I am delighted he will be part of the Mayo Senior Football panel this year.

“Oisín is a fantastic guy, a leader, and adds so much to the setup. There is a great spirit in the current squad and all the players are delighted to be back up and running. Our first game is now only a few weeks away and we as a team are really looking forward to the year ahead.”

Speaking over the weekend, Geelong Cats chief executive Steve Hocking had been of the mind that Mullin’s delay in travelling to Australia was due to a Covid test. “He’s been much talked about,” Hocking told a Geelong radio station. “I think there’s no doubt the Irish are doing everything possible to retain that level of talent, which is quite understandable.

“He tested positive just as he was about to get on a plane to come across here, hence there was no point in him getting on the plane. So he’s back there at the moment. I’m sure they (Mayo) are working really, really hard behind the scenes to retain him but we’re obviously excited that we’ve got him available to us so we’ll keep working through it.”

He was a free hit but sounded very promising.

However, if he was already in two minds he wasn't going to be able to give it 100% and I doubt we would've seen the best of him.

I guess we can now all move on and focus on Merrick becoming "Ling 2.0"?

This is really disappointing, but better knowing now than mid-way through the season.

Could Mullin be our new Stephen Michael? The best Irish talent never to play AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back