New Japan Pro-Wrestling (On NJPWWorld and Triller TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a big wrestling fan in the 90s/early 2000s and became interested again through the network. Havent seen any njpw at all apart from the odd youtube clip but im considering going to this show. Can someone point me in the direction of the best stuff to watch?

Putting the biggest honkey star in a 6-man tag reinforces this'll be one and done for me. If resting/protecting the wrestlers is so important then don't have them wrestle 4 states in 4 nights. Or better yet don't have house shows at all.

I bought my ticket knowing full well how NJPW tour cards usually go, and the fact we're even getting singles matches is a pleasant surprise for me. A NJPW tour show in Japan that doesn't air on NJPW World will get zero singles matches, like this one from a week ago. This is NJPW's first steps into the Australian market and they've started off by having Okada appear in a singles match for a MCW and now a four night tour that brings out some of their biggest stars, and are giving local Australian wrestlers a chance to shine in front of both Australian crowds who may have never watched them before and the NJPW bookers, and that gets them a lot more credit for me. We're getting the same type of main event as most of the shows in Japan get with a different style of undercard; that doesn't hurt their credit with me

(I would also say the Jonah Rock/Suzuki example is a pretty bad one in that Jonah's hype has been picking up since he got booked for PWG and he's about to make his European debut which only increase the hype. He has also been in the ring with Suzuki before, in Pro Wrestling NOAH and was a logical singles match. The only problem with it is the question mark that looms over any Suzuki singles match.)

Last edited:

I bought my ticket knowing full well how NJPW tour cards usually go, and the fact we're even getting singles matches is a pleasant surprise for me. A NJPW tour show in Japan that doesn't air on NJPW World will get zero singles matches, like this one from a week ago. This is NJPW's first steps into the Australian market and they've started off by having Okada appear in a singles match for a MCW and now a four night tour that brings out some of their biggest stars, and are giving local Australian wrestlers a chance to shine in front of both Australian crowds who may have never watched them before and the NJPW bookers, and that gets them a lot more credit for me. We're getting the same type of main event as most of the shows in Japan get with a different style of undercard; that doesn't hurt their credit with me

(I would also say the Jonah Rock/Suzuki example is a pretty bad one in that Jonah's hype has been picking up since he got booked for PWG and he's about to make his European debut which only increase the hype. He has also been in the ring with Suzuki before, in Pro Wrestling NOAH and was a logical singles match. The only problem with it is the question mark that looms over any Suzuki singles match.)

Does NJPW charge $455 a ticket for Japan house shows? It's 2018. We shouldn't be happy they simply decided to come and we definitely shouldn't assume they'll lift their game next time around. That's not how business works.

Not gonna lie, kinda disappointed at the card.

I get they're trying to do four shows across four nights or whatever, so wrestlers need to be protected a bit, but feels like I'll just be going to see NJPW Lite. Already missing a fair few top stars to being with, and then to water down the card with locals I could go see around the corner from my house for $10-20, sorta kills my excitement a bit.

Not gonna lie, kinda disappointed at the card.

I get they're trying to do four shows across four nights or whatever, so wrestlers need to be protected a bit, but feels like I'll just be going to see NJPW Lite. Already missing a fair few top stars to being with, and then to water down the card with locals I could go see around the corner from my house for $10-20, sorta kills my excitement a bit.
I think better seeing NJPW Lite live than not seeing NJPW at all.

I made the mistake not seeing WCW tour Australia, thinking they will be back next year. Well they never came back. This could be a once off opportunity to see stars Okada, Omega and Suzuki in your backyard. And possibly a future star in Jay White. $55 for the cheapest ticket in a small venue. I think that is good value.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the Adelaide show last night - overall a fun show.

I've now seen some absolute stars live (even if Okada and Omega barely got out of 2nd gear). This was my first ever live wrestling show and there was barely a botch the whole night. Putting Cody and Omega's matches one after the other dulled the crowd a bit. I prefer singles wrestling over tag matches so some of the spots got repetitive (so many corner spots!) and fell into the "everyone must get their stuff in" mode. Jay White is a star who wrestled someone who is... not a star and it showed. Loved the passionate crowd and the audible hits and slaps throughout the night. All in all pretty good.

Adelaide Tour Results
Yuji Nagata d Chase Owens
IC Champ Minoru Suzuki and Lance Archer vs Jonah Rock and Slex (TMDK) ended in a double countout after the bottom rope broke
5 min break to fix the rope
Cody d Rocky Romero via the crossrhodes
We want Brandi chants after the match and Cody got on the mic and said they couldn't fit her in the budget and he also said the ring was stiff and hurt his ass also gave props to Fale for setting this tour up. He also said tve Bullet club is fine.
Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale, Gino Gambino d Juice Robinson, Kushida, Henare after Kenny hit the one winged angel.
Kenny got on the mic said the Bullet club is NOT FINE then his usual goodbye and goodnight catchphrase.
Intermission
IWGP HW Tag Champs Sanada and Evil d Gorillas of Destiny
US Champ Jay White d Elliot Sexton via the bladerunner.
IWGP World Champ Okada & Ishii d Young Bucks via Okada hitting 3 rainmakers on one of the bucks
Okada got on the mic and asked if the crowd liked the show and want New Japan to come back and the crowd did a yes chant and he said they'll come back.

Got some (pretty average lol) photos in my google drive of the event if you are interested.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S2YzD1DsFjxDtJ-zD_TyDXta3hLSW_cQ?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Went to the Adelaide show last night - overall a fun show.

I've now seen some absolute stars live (even if Okada and Omega barely got out of 2nd gear). This was my first ever live wrestling show and there was barely a botch the whole night. Putting Cody and Omega's matches one after the other dulled the crowd a bit. I prefer singles wrestling over tag matches so some of the spots got repetitive (so many corner spots!) and fell into the "everyone must get their stuff in" mode. Jay White is a star who wrestled someone who is... not a star and it showed. Loved the passionate crowd and the audible hits and slaps throughout the night. All in all pretty good.

About the botching, if I was nitpicking the bottom rope breaking, Rocky Romero slipping a bit (but recovering) before doing a move to the outside and Juicy Gambino getting clotheslined over the top rope but not going over and just rolling under the bottom rope were the only mistakes I saw.

Adelaide Tour Results
Yuji Nagata d Chase Owens
IC Champ Minoru Suzuki and Lance Archer vs Jonah Rock and Slex (TMDK) ended in a double countout after the bottom rope broke
5 min break to fix the rope
Cody d Rocky Romero via the crossrhodes
We want Brandi chants after the match and Cody got on the mic and said they couldn't fit her in the budget and he also said the ring was stiff and hurt his ass also gave props to Fale for setting this tour up. He also said tve Bullet club is fine.
Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale, Gino Gambino d Juice Robinson, Kushida, Henare after Kenny hit the one winged angel.
Kenny got on the mic said the Bullet club is NOT FINE then his usual goodbye and goodnight catchphrase.
Intermission
IWGP HW Tag Champs Sanada and Evil d Gorillas of Destiny
US Champ Jay White d Elliot Sexton via the bladerunner.
IWGP World Champ Okada & Ishii d Young Bucks via Okada hitting 3 rainmakers on one of the bucks
Okada got on the mic and asked if the crowd liked the show and want New Japan to come back and the crowd did a yes chant and he said they'll come back.

Got some (pretty average lol) photos in my google drive of the event if you are interested.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S2YzD1DsFjxDtJ-zD_TyDXta3hLSW_cQ?usp=sharing

That crowd looks pretty awful :(

It's got me reconsidering going tonight, cos based on the Adelaide crowd I don't think they'll be rushing back.

It's got me reconsidering going tonight, cos based on the Adelaide crowd I don't think they'll be rushing back.

I don't think the shots do the crowd justice, but other cities either sold out or are very close to doing so. Still, 100% worth going.

Doesn't look like a NJPW ring.
Yeah looked like a 16 by 16 or something. Some little Adelaide boxing ring.

I remember Austin Aries came down here before complaining about the ring too.

No idea what the crowd was but if I had to guess it would be anywhere from 500 to 2000. (Assuming the capacity is 8k I reckon it was under a quarter full).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back