New Japan Pro-Wrestling (On NJPWWorld and Triller TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you guys think about the show at MSG on Mania weekend? Kind of funny how marks etc will wank off over it selling out, getting a big crowd and all that when the main reason it's a big show is purely because it's on Mania weekend. I dunno, strange.

What do you guys think about the show at MSG on Mania weekend? Kind of funny how marks etc will wank off over it selling out, getting a big crowd and all that when the main reason it's a big show is purely because it's on Mania weekend. I dunno, strange.
On Mania weekend it might sell out.

But if you put the show on a random weekend, it will get a crowd of 10k imo.

NJPW & RoH popularity is growing from strength to strength. Largely because WWE has been so dire lately.

I also think their is more wrestling fans on East coast compared West coast. They got 8k at Cow palace in San Francisco. They would of done better if they ran the show in the east.

Would sell out on Friday night. Not sure about Saturday with NXT TakeOver on at the same time.

Hiromu Takahashi suffered a broken neck

Highlights one of the major problems with pro-wrestling and the Japanese promotions have been guilty of this. That is performing highly dangerous spots without concern for the opponent. I reckon All Japan wrestling from the 80s through to the early 90s was probably the best promotion in the world for actual workrate.

However some time in the 90s they decided to really beat the crap out of each other. Kawada, Kobashi (who is lucky to be alive), Misawa (who didn't make it) started dropping each other on their heads relentlessly. It might have been a response to the rise of shoot fighting but it made an already dangerous profession even more hazardous for it's workers. And for what ever reason, that attitude has persisted and permeated the business rather than going back to what pro wrestling should be about. Watch the true professionals: the wrestlers who draw you into the match and make it look real without risking massive injury. Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Ted Dibiase, Bret Hart, Terry Funk, Jumbo Tsuruta, Randy Savage, Harley Race, Genichiro Tenryu, Great Muta, the Midnight Express, Jack Brisco, et al

I know I'm on my high horse and stuck in the past but that was a ludicrous spot that does nothing for either wrestler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cant take switchblade seriously screams vanilla midget

interesting with omega beating naito in the g1 since everyone was sure naito would win and get the title shot and set up the main event for kopw leading to naito vs okada at the dome.

now everyone thinks kenny wins and chooses okada as his opponent

It would be nice if, when discussing this 'spot', people actually acknowledged it was a botch and not the actual spot. Owen Hart breaking Austin's neck was also a pretty silly spot, but you know, that wasn't the spot, was it? You'd think from some of the responses across the world that Dragon Lee and Hirmou decided after many matches and after previously using this move to, this time, just intentionally drop Hiromu on his head. Spoiler: They didn't, but for whatever reason, the move was botched and like so many moves, when botched the move can be dangerous

heard a decent bulletclub theory
ibushi turns on omega and becomes leader of bulletclub og aka samoan boys. leading to bullet club og vs bullet club elite. basis for the theory is the ring announcer introducing them as different stables and tama tonga aint big enough to lead them

It would be nice if, when discussing this 'spot', people actually acknowledged it was a botch and not the actual spot. Owen Hart breaking Austin's neck was also a pretty silly spot, but you know, that wasn't the spot, was it? You'd think from some of the responses across the world that Dragon Lee and Hirmou decided after many matches and after previously using this move to, this time, just intentionally drop Hiromu on his head. Spoiler: They didn't, but for whatever reason, the move was botched and like so many moves, when botched the move can be dangerous
dragon lee had wrestled like 4 matches in 2 days leading up to this match. look we all love the hard hitting japanese matches but its ******* stupid the way they take so many neck bumps and they really need to cut that s**t out

cant take switchblade seriously screams vanilla midget

interesting with omega beating naito in the g1 since everyone was sure naito would win and get the title shot and set up the main event for kopw leading to naito vs okada at the dome.

now everyone thinks kenny wins and chooses okada as his opponent

Could Choose Ibushi as well

Could Choose Ibushi as well
ibushi wont sign a fulltime contract so they wont put the belt on him or give him the main event at wk. the ace always closes the show and 99.9% wins its just the way it is so okada will be in the match and will win the belt

I don't think you can pin on Dragon Lee working a few matches in a weekend, otherwise every WM weekend you would see a hospital full of wrestlers. Who knows, maybe Hiromu did try to do something different in the move. Rumour has it that when Roderick Strong did damage to his neck on a Styles Clash, it was because he intentionally didn't take it the way it should be taken. Wrestlers can be weird beasts. But I don't like the blame game that comes with injures, particularly when we're in the dark about what happened...except for the one fact that went unacknowledged: it was a botch, and botches happen.

Anyway, g1/stable talk

I'm a little biased, because I predicted when he came back, but I think Switchblade is nailed on for the Bullet Club OGs/an Oceania stable. It just makes too much sense. The only issue is that Jay White's story in CHAOS (him being a dick) is months away from finishing, and Tama Tonga just hasn't got what it takes to keep the OGs relevant until the move. Tama's words after Kenny's failed bid to lure Jay White remain key: "Maybe we had the wrong guy trying to recruit him"

I had Naito/Omega booked in for the dome and obviously with Okada almost certainly out of the running for the G1, I think that's still on. Maybe this is the year the winner of the G1 loses the briefcase and that's how Naito gets there. 2020 is Naito/Okada. MSG could be the place for Omega/Ibushi, which would mean Naito loses again at the dome, but this just seems to make business sense. Naito wins it at Dominion 2019, Okada wins 2019 G1. The way blocks are this year and the story being told with Okada, it just seems to me two guys from the B block end up in the main event at the Dome. I suppose they could do Omega vs Tana, they have been kept away from each other for a long time now. But to do this, I kinda think Okada would have to intentional lose to Tana on the final night to keep Jay White out of the final

Last edited:

And the WWF at the time seriously looked at piledrivers and pretty much banned them after the Owen Hart botch. They also banned other moves that were potentially dangerous to the neck region. The point for me is these guys in general are great workers and shouldn't have to resort to spiking each other or performing dangerous moves to get a match over.

You're right that any botched move can be dangerous (Stan Hansen broke Bruno Sammartino's neck with a body slam) but surely wrestlers should look at minimising the risk rather than increasing it substantially with these type of spots. I personally find it hard to watch "strong style" wrestling because it is so dangerous.

ibushi wont sign a fulltime contract so they wont put the belt on him or give him the main event at wk. the ace always closes the show and 99.9% wins its just the way it is so okada will be in the match and will win the belt

Fair Enough. So Ibushi is a Gun for Hire or something like that with his Short Contracts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back