Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, New York Rangers
Thread starter #751
Maybe... probably...

I guess it all depends on whether the Kahn's money will last long enough for them to get a full time roster. The reason Impact (and ROH as well) are in this situation is that they can't afford to pay guys a living wage to do a handful of PPVs a year and a tv taping every 4-6 weeks. If AEW end up in a similar boat beyond their top 7 or 8 guys, they're going to have to let their guys work elsewhere.

I think the ability to work elsewhere (as long as it's not in the US or Canada) also ends up being a bit of a draw for talent - it's a point of difference with WWE, it allows them to have a couple of different income streams, and it probably allows them a couple of different avenues for creativity. Certainly it's been a draw for guys like PCO and Rush who've just signed with ROH.
If wrestlers get say 40% of their income from NJPW, ROH, etc, that's roughly speaking 40% of time AEW will not be able to use them. AEW will not be able to work around it by synching tapings up to cater to everybody's individual schedule. They'll be ******* lying if they claim that. It's impossible. The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc. Imagine if the major actors in those ****** off in the middle of everything to be on other shows. It's a nightmare to write around. AEW would be lesser for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damon_3388

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red WIngs
If wrestlers get say 40% of their income from NJPW, ROH, etc, that's roughly speaking 40% of time AEW will not be able to use them. AEW will not be able to work around it by synching tapings up to cater to everybody's individual schedule. They'll be ******* lying if they claim that. It's impossible. The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc. Imagine if the major actors in those ****** off in the middle of everything to be on other shows. It's a nightmare to write around. AEW would be lesser for it.
And if they need to work around people and other fed's schedules, then they're really just another indy fed with good funding.

They'll have their core guys and their regulars, but it makes it hard to really establish anything long-term story-wise, when half the roster's availability is up in the air from month to month.

And if you're then just presenting a series of matches without story and stakes, you're really limiting your appeal to the existing wrestling fan who like or can appreciate a match for the art of it, without rhyme or reason or context, rather than "changing the game" and expanding the genre, as they claim they want to do.

The Sim Dog

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Hardly a shock at all they took the belt off Kenny because he left tana got one last thank you run and they put it on vanilla midget jay white

Naito will take it off him
Perhaps not. I didn't think he'd hold it long but at least until Aptril after a NJ Cup win by White. Okada was to be winning the title from Omega if he stayed at the G1 Supercard. Wonder if that will still be the case.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
I reckon White will keep it to next years WK where he will then Drop it to Okada
Possible but I doubt it. Naito is the most over the failed ace being the one to save new japan from bullet club and switchblade makes most sense but yes Okada will have the belt again and everything builds to him

AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon White will keep it to next years WK where he will then Drop it to Okada
Perhaps not. I didn't think he'd hold it long but at least until Genesis after a NJ Cup win by White. Okada was to be winning the title from Omega if he stayed at the G1 Supercard. Wonder if that will still be the case.
I agree with Sim Dog-- I think the most likely situation is that Okada will win the NJ Cup and then defeat Jay White at the G1 Super card in NYC. It will be really unlike NJPW, but I think that will be their aim in the next few months to get the title onto Okada while also giving Okada his win back over White.

Top Bottom