New Japan Pro-Wrestling (On NJPWWorld and Triller TV)

Remove this Banner Ad

If wrestlers get say 40% of their income from NJPW, ROH, etc, that's roughly speaking 40% of time AEW will not be able to use them. AEW will not be able to work around it by synching tapings up to cater to everybody's individual schedule. They'll be ******* lying if they claim that. It's impossible. The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc. Imagine if the major actors in those ****** off in the middle of everything to be on other shows. It's a nightmare to write around. AEW would be lesser for it.

And if they need to work around people and other fed's schedules, then they're really just another indy fed with good funding.

They'll have their core guys and their regulars, but it makes it hard to really establish anything long-term story-wise, when half the roster's availability is up in the air from month to month.

And if you're then just presenting a series of matches without story and stakes, you're really limiting your appeal to the existing wrestling fan who like or can appreciate a match for the art of it, without rhyme or reason or context, rather than "changing the game" and expanding the genre, as they claim they want to do.

Jay White the new IWGP champ in a bit of a shocker. Tanahashi loses at New Beginning again like in 2015. Ibushi has signed with NJPW. Seems likely to win the New Japan Cup.

No Shock to me.

Was Expecting it Actually

Hardly a shock at all they took the belt off Kenny because he left tana got one last thank you run and they put it on vanilla midget jay white

Naito will take it off him

Perhaps not. I didn't think he'd hold it long but at least until Aptril after a NJ Cup win by White. Okada was to be winning the title from Omega if he stayed at the G1 Supercard. Wonder if that will still be the case.

Last edited:
Hardly a shock at all they took the belt off Kenny because he left tana got one last thank you run and they put it on vanilla midget jay white

Naito will take it off him

I reckon White will keep it to next years WK where he will then Drop it to Okada

I reckon White will keep it to next years WK where he will then Drop it to Okada
Possible but I doubt it. Naito is the most over the failed ace being the one to save new japan from bullet club and switchblade makes most sense but yes Okada will have the belt again and everything builds to him

Perhaps not. I didn't think he'd hold it long but at least until Genesis after a NJ Cup win by White. Okada was to be winning the title from Omega if he stayed at the G1 Supercard. Wonder if that will still be the case.

I agree with Sim Dog-- I think the most likely situation is that Okada will win the NJ Cup and then defeat Jay White at the G1 Super card in NYC. It will be really unlike NJPW, but I think that will be their aim in the next few months to get the title onto Okada while also giving Okada his win back over White.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think of them more as "teams" than "stables" in New Japan. They kind of fade into the background... until the don't (eg. Bullet Club/Firing Squad, Chaos/Okada/Gedo/Switchblade)

I don't understand why some random guy just gets to join a stable, like whats the kayfabe reasoning?

Ospreay has said he wants to be responsible for Australian expansion (even though Nick had already made an international name). Chaos have lost a few recently. Not saying that's it, but how it could be explained in the future.

Liger to retire in the Jan Tokyo Dome show next year. What a legend.

Still putting on watchable matches now. In the late 80s/early 90s he was off the charts. What a lot of people forget with Liger is not only could he do the flying stuff but he was a terrific wrestler and character to boot. I saw him get over in a match with Chris Benoit in the early 90s at Festival Hall, Melbourne wrestling in the world's crappiest ring. They couldn't do any real flying stuff because of it so had to stitch together a scientific mat and hold match in front of a crowd that was there to see ex WWF stars like the Junk Yard Dog. Liger totally got the crowd into the match with all sorts of little tricks playing the subtle face and the pop when he hit a franksteiner for the win was huge. He went from a basic unknown to the talk of the crowd after the card.

I thought NJPW may have a bit of a lull without the AEW guys, but it seems they're doing just fine. It might not be minimum 3 stars from top to bottom anymore, but there's enough intrigue about wrestlers (young & old) pushing up the card to partially fill the void.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back