New Japan Pro-Wrestling (On NJPWWorld and FITE)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
G1 been super the first couple of days. Suzuki v Ishii phenomenal.

I've been holding off for the English commentary, but am almost certain that Kelly will have pissed me off within a week and I'll have gone to live/Japanese commentary.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
I've been holding off for the English commentary, but am almost certain that Kelly will have pissed me off within a week and I'll have gone to live/Japanese commentary.

I love Kelly. But such is the enthusiasm of the Japanese commentators that nothing is lost in comparison. Been awesome.

cant understand why so many people *need* english commentary
Even if I don't like the commentators, I'd prefer to hear little tidbits in English rather than being completely out of the loop on some things. Also when a Japanese guy cuts a promo the English guys would translate during.

Even if I don't like the commentators, I'd prefer to hear little tidbits in English rather than being completely out of the loop on some things. Also when a Japanese guy cuts a promo the English guys would translate during.
Yeah the translation is what I miss but the Japanese commentators get so ******* hyped, it's great.

itchee40

Debutant
Mar 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I know what you mean, but like some people act as if the entire thing is unwatchable if there's no english commentary

I know what you mean, but like some people act as if the entire thing is unwatchable if there's no english commentary
Yeah it's not a deal breaker, but if both are available I'll naturally choose English.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
sometimes I wish for a 'no commentary' option. Obviously when cheering's back, but it feels like you're there live and it's great

Yea I like that best too. I think it can depend a lot how much you know about the product and characters. Everyone in here knows enough about it to not really be fussed by commentary but someone new to NJPW I can understand needing it.

Won't lie that the initial thing that got me into NJPW was seeing somewhere that JR was calling Wrestle kingdom 2015.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
In some ways I wish we'd never gotten English commentary - I might've just preferred English subs on promos.

Before we were getting regular English commentary I was really getting into the normal commentary, and could even feel some of my grade 7-8 Japanese coming back. But the English commentary just seems so much easier in terms of being able to understand storylines, which I think has become more important in NJPW over the last 6-8 years. The notion that it's wrestling first and storylines waaay behind is a bit outdated.

itchee40

Debutant
Mar 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Yea I like that best too. I think it can depend a lot how much you know about the product and characters. Everyone in here knows enough about it to not really be fussed by commentary but someone new to NJPW I can understand needing it.

Won't lie that the initial thing that got me into NJPW was seeing somewhere that JR was calling Wrestle kingdom 2015.
Even if you're new I feel like if you do enough research you can figure most of it out

itchee40

Debutant
Mar 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Who said they did?
If you don't then it's fine, but there is a large minority of those that are open about not being able to watch without it which is... odd

Also after tonight I hope it's a reminder to everyone that YOSHI-HASHI is a gun

Harold Meji resigns as CEO/President. He lasted 2 1/2 years.
Change In Leadership at NJPW, Harold Meij Out As CEO

Last edited:
Back