Employment New job experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

Just started a new job after a long tenure at another company.
Been here a few weeks, was at the old employer for almost a decade. I had a good experience with my old employer, but just decided to make a change as I had reached comfort/boredom/a bit of stagnation.

Am not 100% I've made the right decision, there's a lot of differences and a lot of things that I'm finding difficult to adjust to, on top of all the new job normal worries and challenges, missing all my old work colleagues and the familair environment, etc.

Questions are, what have been your experiences with changing jobs?
Grass not always greener?
How long to stick it out?
Ever asked for your old job back?
Look for something else at a 3rd company and then see how that goes?

Just unsure what I want to do moving forward, and how to approach this.

Good question. For me I have always found the first one to six months I find myself missing the other job and the people.
Find myself questioning my decision..

Once I'm settled and have adapted, all good.

I've gone back to an old job once. Was a great decision too. But only once. Usually once u leave that's it no going back move forward.

But now I can look back and I can think of a job where one of the best life decisions I ever made was moving.

Right now, I'm in a job that sucks compared with my last job. My last job was less demanding, better people, better security money probably better. I regret leaving that job 100 per cent. But I'm in a better city now. It's hard to get everything.
I still am thinking of going back.

So yeah pros and cons and no right answers.

Good question. For me I have always found the first one to six months I find myself missing the other job and the people.
Find myself questioning my decision..

Once I'm settled and have adapted, all good.

I've gone back to an old job once. Was a great decision too. But only once. Usually once u leave that's it no going back move forward.

But now I can look back and I can think of a job where one of the best life decisions I ever made was moving.

Right now, I'm in a job that sucks compared with my last job. My last job was less demanding, better people, better security money probably better. I regret leaving that job 100 per cent. But I'm in a better city now. It's hard to get everything.
I still am thinking of going back.

So yeah pros and cons and no right answers.
I've stuck it out and have been at the new place for about 13 months now, which is good because if I leave the short tenure challenge is no longer an issue, by the time I'd actually resign it wouldn't be a short tenure to explain.

The two things keeping me here at the moment are the pay is better, the flexibility is good (complete WFH or office available at my choice), and now I am "settled".

I do thing with an incoming structural change things might be different, so I'll assess that over the next 3 months.

Other challenge is atm I'm not sure exactly where I want to be next or what I want to do.

Interesting thread.

Been in my current workplace for 11 years this month. Progressed from casual labourer, to now the Business Manager for 2 businesses with full autonomy. (I've taken the long way 'round).

Getting to the stage where a change is likely required for further development. But i'm just so damn comfortable, and the thought of a new business is daunting.

I'm also conscious of being "too far removed" from operations. I like to know what's going on, I like to drive culture and be in a position where I can influence the business on a level that has a real world impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back