News New Jumpers for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weirder than that. Dangerfield had jumpers made in 2014 (new jock tag) with the 2013 neck. Sometimes he'd change at half time and come out with the 2014 template.

Thompson, Talia, Wright, Brown, and maybe a couple others actually wore their 2013.

Never heard anything about fines. Maybe all the same sponsors, etc, made it OK? Or just only weirdos like us noticed.

Maybe it's just us, along with our eye for detail and various symptoms of OCD. Lol

I'm guessing some players didn't like the collars if that's the case.

Weirder than that. Dangerfield had jumpers made in 2014 (new jock tag) with the 2013 neck. Sometimes he'd change at half time and come out with the 2014 template.

Thompson, Talia, Wright, Brown, and maybe a couple others actually wore their 2013.

Never heard anything about fines. Maybe all the same sponsors, etc, made it OK? Or just only weirdos like us noticed.
There was a Freo game sometime in the 2000s where Troy Cook ripped his guernsey. I can't recall which way around it was, but he replaced it with either their home jumper while his teammates played on in the clash, or vice-versa. I kid you not, this happened. Sadly I can't back it up with an image.

There was a Freo game sometime in the 2000s where Troy Cook ripped his guernsey. I can't recall which way around it was, but he replaced it with either their home jumper while his teammates played on in the clash, or vice-versa. I kid you not, this happened. Sadly I can't back it up with an image.

No way that would have happened (unless there is photo evidence)

He would have done what Tom Hawkins did last year when they had the players names on the jumper - he chucked on his teammates jumper and for the rest of the match there were two #34s running around for Geelong (Walker)

No way that would have happened (unless there is photo evidence)

He would have done what Tom Hawkins did last year when they had the players names on the jumper - he chucked on his teammates jumper and for the rest of the match there were two #34s running around for Geelong (Walker)
Sounds like BS, I realise. I have no way of substantiating it sadly

Also when I say clash, I mean one of the away monstrosities Freo used to have. So predominantly purple anyway.

Shaun Rehn #52 wore the highest number on an AFL jumper that I've seen:

802596-shaun-rehn.jpg

I doubt he'd have been allowed to change his jumper number for a one off, they're set pre-season by the club and stay that way.

In the early 90s, Nicky Winmar played about half a game in the number 60 after his jumper was ripped/damaged/blood-stained. From memory I think the game was played at Waverley but I can't remember any more details or find a picture...

EDIT: I found it! Can't believe it!

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.15.34 PM.png

Last edited:
I had a thread going on that Dangerfield jumper issue and no one cared and wrote the issue off as a small thing in the greater scheme of things.

Funny how we look back fondly on history.

I doubt he'd have been allowed to change his jumper number for a one off, they're set pre-season by the club and stay that way.
IIRC, the manufacturers never made one for Pods specifically so he had to use a higher-numbered spare.

Surely the spares could have had lower numbers though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't have to wait too long to see if the AFL have hardened their stance on clash jumpers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-24/round-one-fixture-tigers-and-blues-kick-off-2016-season

Also, interesting to note that there are no marketing terms used in the fixture at the end of that article. 'Greater Western Sydney' rather than 'GWS GIANTS', 'Gold Coast' rather than 'Gold Coast SUNS', 'Geelong' rather than 'Geelong Cats' etc.
Interesting that 'Adelaide' has been omitted from Port's name.

Is it me or are there less new jumpers than most years?
They generally release pre-orders for new merch around late november/early December, this is so that stuff will be bought for Christmas.

We gotta remember it's only less than a month after the Grand Final.

They generally release pre-orders for new merch around late november/early December, this is so that stuff will be bought for Christmas.

I thought I may have been jumping the gun a little.

We won't have to wait too long to see if the AFL have hardened their stance on clash jumpers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-24/round-one-fixture-tigers-and-blues-kick-off-2016-season

Also, interesting to note that there are no marketing terms used in the fixture at the end of that article. 'Greater Western Sydney' rather than 'GWS GIANTS', 'Gold Coast' rather than 'Gold Coast SUNS', 'Geelong' rather than 'Geelong Cats' etc.

And about f**king time. Sick of reading about the GWS GIANTS and Gold Coast SUNS, no need for the caps lock.

Also sponsorships and contracts expire October 31st, thins will start to heat up next week.

I remember when GC joined people were posting round these parts about a possible Trademark clash with Phoenix Suns which prevented them from using the nickname, so the use of the full Gold Coast SUNS with the caps somehow got around this. Perhaps it was speculation. I assume most clubs have their nicknames Trademarked, separate to the club name, excluding some like Brisbane Lions which I assume goes as one name.

It will be fantastic if this change means we stop hearing the media call them The GWS Giants!!

I'd love to be able to refer to any team as their location OR their nickname, and in some cases both. "Hawthorn Hawks" is a little to alliterative, and "St Kilda Saints" too. But to be able to just say "Brisbane" or "the Lions" or "Brisbane Lions".
Thats what I don't like about the Western Bulldogs. You can't use the first word without the second, it sounds stupid: "An important goal there for Western".

Yeah, that really annoys me. Could someone please explain why I am seeing "Geelong Cats" plastered everywhere in the same manner as "Brisbane Lions"? It's bizarre, it's even like that on tv. Why isn't it just Geelong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back