News New Jumpers for 2017 - All changes in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm Cotton On have Cats guernseys in there design area and have done so for 6 months. Comes from the inner sanctum, not sure why this person has not told me considering they know I collect guernseys.

The family who own Cotton On have a strong affiliation with local football and they are a strong progressive Geelong company unlike a lot of other places in town. Should be interesting, I think they will stick with a traditional style and nothing too controversial.

Pretty big-time sponsor to not actually have any uniform or apparel exposure. Ground signage only by the looks of things.

In all seriousness now, I would have thought there would be rules regarding airline company's sponsoring individual teams because of the AFL's deal with Virgin?

If there was going to be any AFL sponsor that was protected, it would be their major sponsor Toyota. But around half the clubs have different car sponsorship deals. Can't see why Virgin would get special treatment.

Pretty big-time sponsor to not actually have any uniform or apparel exposure. Ground signage only by the looks of things.

If there was going to be any AFL sponsor that was protected, it would be their major sponsor Toyota. But around half the clubs have different car sponsorship deals. Can't see why Virgin would get special treatment.
Actually, I forgot that Skoda and Jeep came on to GWS and Richmond post 2004 so that just makes you right...

Actually, I forgot that Skoda and Jeep came on to GWS and Richmond post 2004 so that just makes you right...
Not to mention Fiat with Gold Coast, Ford and Geelong, Volkswagen and Sydney, Renault and Port, Hyundai with Carlton and Brisbane etc etc

Not to mention Fiat with Gold Coast, Ford and Geelong, Volkswagen and Sydney, Renault and Port, Hyundai with Carlton and Brisbane etc etc
I thought existing partnerships or lower level partnerships were ok but the major sponsorship wasn't, but clearly not.

There was a lot of controversy at the time with Geelong and North's Ford and Mazda sponsorships. From memory, I seem to recall that they were allowed to continue their deals, but were told they couldn't renew them once they were up. Clearly something changed big time and the AFL backed down. Geelong did refuse to have any Toyota logos anywhere around Kardinia Park though, other than the on-ground paintwork and goal posts (pretty sure that still continues to this day).

There was also a big hoo-hah at Brisbane in the early 2000's, when they signed a deal with Cadbury-Schweppes even though the AFL had a deal with Coca-Cola. That was also resolved in a similar way.

In reality, given the large number of "official AFL sponsors", if the league didn't allow competing sponsors at club level, then no club would ever get a decent deal, and you'd end up with Bob's fish and chip shop sponsoring the clubs. The A-League have had this very problem until recently, when they've finally allowed competing sponsors (see Etihad at Melbourne City, a competitor to the FFA's Qantas sponsorship). Melbourne Victory allegedly had a very lucrative shirt sponsorship deal with truck company Iveco vetoed by the FFA due to the Hyundai sponsorship 3 or 4 years ago.

I did notice that there was a lack of the Toyota sponsorship at Kardina on the fence at the start of each quarter, unlike the MCG/Etihad.

Also guys, you can keep an eye on my main board thread here with all relevant club & list changes (includes jumper changes, manufacturer changes) & my thread on the Richmond board that will document all jumper number changes here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did notice that there was a lack of the Toyota sponsorship at Kardina on the fence at the start of each quarter, unlike the MCG/Etihad.

Geelong get the signage rights (hence the money they make at KP) and have Ford starting at the 1st and 3rd quarters and Momentum Energy for the 2nd and 4th quarters.

But yes there are Ford signs everywhere! And really the electronic Ford signage looks awesome how it grabs your attention as it appears compared to the blinding read of Toyota.

upload_2016-8-23_21-26-55.png
upload_2016-8-23_21-29-29.png
upload_2016-8-23_21-28-36.png

I miss the days when the ads would go up and replaced with a different ad and it not be completely digitised.
And there'd always be one section that didn't change with the others, so you'd have one random red bit saying "OYOTA" in the middle of the black NAB ads

And there'd always be one section that didn't change with the others, so you'd have one random red bit saying "OYOTA" in the middle of the black NAB ads

Don't remember that but didn't some signs stop halfway on occasion?

The best one I recall was around 2004 maybe where it was a black background and had something written in the middle with all the club logos underneath that wrapped around the ground.
I remember it when they were re building parts of the G.

Also mods, appropriately re name thread "Best signage"

Don't remember that but didn't some signs stop halfway on occasion?
Yeah, that was great too.

The best was when you'd get one section just continuously rotating through ads for a while. The digital signage looks great, but I miss the analog peculiarities.

Yeah, that was great too.

The best was when you'd get one section just continuously rotating through ads for a while. The digital signage looks great, but I miss the analog peculiarities.
Don't be so sure we won't have them.
I've already seen some sections of the digital turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back