News New Jumpers For 2018 - All Changes In OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this...

IMG_1525.png

1. That new Melbourne clash looks great! Will look smashing in play.
2. I wish ISC kept the straight line down the side of the shorts like they do with Freo, Sydney and the Bombers.
Looks much better than the curve (or the Port no stripe at all, however I think that's a Port idea for the whole "bold black" look they like)
3. Hungry Jacks need to consider the Eagles...

Did nobody else notice that the article about the Dees new jumper says exactly who they will wear which jumper against?

"Melbourne will wear its royal blue clash guernsey in away matches against the likes of Adelaide Crows, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and St Kilda.

The red back jumper will be worn in away matches against the West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs."

I really like the royal jumper, but I can't help but feel this jumper suite just isn't enough to provide adequate contrast. I thought last year that the redback was a mess. It suffers from the same problem as the Hawks original white jumper and the Swans/Giants jumpers, in that it is two completely different colours front and back. I'm also increasingly of the opinion that royal blue against navy blue is not adequate.

My personal view, is that they should either turn the redback into a proper inverse to make it predominately red, or keep a white variant for games against Adelaide, North Melbourne, West Coast and Western Bulldogs.

Also, does anybody else find it strange that they can't wear their home against West Coast and Western Bulldogs (royal v navy), but can wear it against North (also royal v navy), and can wear their royal against Adelaide and Carlton (navy v royal)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The post two above mine was criticizing both the dogs and port.

In any event the light vs dark kit thing works in the NBA (albeit in reverse) and most of theirs are white alternates.

Richmond with a white strip with a yellow sash and black outline, similar for the bombers etc. etc.

I'm not a designer but if the rules were, home is dark and away is white it would make it a lot easier for everyone to adhere (the politics of Collingwood and the like notwithstanding)
Why go light vs dark when you can go colour vs dark and get a matchup that is both distinguishable and good to look at?

Why go light vs dark when you can go colour vs dark and get a matchup that is both distinguishable and good to look at?

Because we haven't been able to come up with any system that works. White versus every home jumper (with a few exceptions where the away team would wear their home strip, think Sydney v Melbourne) would work.

Its simple, effective and easy to administer.

Because we haven't been able to come up with any system that works. White versus every home jumper (with a few exceptions where the away team would wear their home strip, think Sydney v Melbourne) would work.

Its simple, effective and easy to administer.
I don't see any issue with the current system: look at two jumpers - if they clash, the away team needs to come up with a suitable alternative. It's flimsy interpretation that's the problem. Why should Richmond wear a soulless white clash jumper when we have a ripping yellow one that solves all clashes?

I don't see any issue with the current system: look at two jumpers - if they clash, the away team needs to come up with a suitable alternative. It's flimsy interpretation that's the problem. Why should Richmond wear a soulless white clash jumper when we have a ripping yellow one that solves all clashes?

I think we did this to death a few pages ago but at the risk of rehashing the same argument.

The current clashes work for a lot of teams but not for some also the rules and the way they are applied (inconsistently) means we will continue to have issues with clashes.

The Richmond one does work but I don't see how your current is any more or less "soulless" than say this one.

RichmondClash.png

Also the clash jumper is to eliminate clashes, heritage, history etc. are not the point (you have a home jumper for that). I stand by my opinon that a white clash rule is the best way to do this. For the hell of it ill list all teams with what would work

Adel - White with the black, yellow and red hoop (single)
Bris - White with maroon yolk, small blue underline and lion symbol
Carl - White with navy monogram
Coll - White with black braces (or white on black if you prefer)
Ess - As above but with red sash
Freo - Current clash
GWS - Current clash
Geelong - Ala Adelaide but with maybe 3 single navy hoops
Gold Coast - All white with monogram
Hawks - All white with brown and gold V (or something better I don't really care)
Melbourne - White with Red yoke with navy outline
North - As Collingwood or white on blue
Port - Current
Saints - White with black and red braces (or 2010 grand final clash)
Sydney - All white with red V
West coast - All white with Eagles logo and wings
Dogs - Current

In the instance a clash jumper cause a worse issues (see Melb away to Syd) teams just wear their home jumpers.

I just don't see why this is such a big issue for AFL team, NBA, NFL, MLB most major soccer comps do it, it works, it eliminates clashes and its not like those teams don't have "history" and "soul" either.

I think we did this to death a few pages ago but at the risk of rehashing the same argument.

The current clashes work for a lot of teams but not for some also the rules and the way they are applied (inconsistently) means we will continue to have issues with clashes.

The Richmond one does work but I don't see how your current is any more or less "soulless" than say this one.

View attachment 453220

Also the clash jumper is to eliminate clashes, heritage, history etc. are not the point (you have a home jumper for that). I stand by my opinon that a white clash rule is the best way to do this. For the hell of it ill list all teams with what would work

Adel - White with the black, yellow and red hoop (single)
Bris - White with maroon yolk, small blue underline and lion symbol
Carl - White with navy monogram
Coll - White with black braces (or white on black if you prefer)
Ess - As above but with red sash
Freo - Current clash
GWS - Current clash
Geelong - Ala Adelaide but with maybe 3 single navy hoops
Gold Coast - All white with monogram
Hawks - All white with brown and gold V (or something better I don't really care)
Melbourne - White with Red yoke with navy outline
North - As Collingwood or white on blue
Port - Current
Saints - White with black and red braces (or 2010 grand final clash)
Sydney - All white with red V
West coast - All white with Eagles logo and wings
Dogs - Current

In the instance a clash jumper cause a worse issues (see Melb away to Syd) teams just wear their home jumpers.

I just don't see why this is such a big issue for AFL team, NBA, NFL, MLB most major soccer comps do it, it works, it eliminates clashes and its not like those teams don't have "history" and "soul" either.
So we fix the system, not force everyone into white.
The current clash jumpers work fine until they don't, which is when an alternate clash is needed. Adelaide's yellow is fine against everyone they clash with except Hawthorn (add GWS and GC if you like) - why should they then not be able to use it unless they desperately only want one alternate jumper?

So we fix the system, not force everyone into white.
The current clash jumpers work fine until they don't, which is when an alternate clash is needed. Adelaide's yellow is fine against everyone they clash with except Hawthorn (add GWS and GC if you like) - why should they then not be able to use it unless they desperately only want one alternate jumper?

Read your post again and it kind of answers itself “it’s fine until it isn’t” which leads to arguments over what is and isn’t a clash. IMO the white rule avoids this, there is no “that’s dark or not” rule it’s clear, and again, it works in most other major sporting codes.

I’m not trying to convince anyone btw. This is just what I think and I’m yet to see a solid argument otherwise.

Home - whatever you want (no ones is white)
Away/Clash - white

Read your post again and it kind of answers itself “it’s fine until it isn’t” which leads to arguments over what is and isn’t a clash. IMO the white rule avoids this, there is no “that’s dark or not” rule it’s clear, and again, it works in most other major sporting codes.

I’m not trying to convince anyone btw. This is just what I think and I’m yet to see a solid argument otherwise.

Home - whatever you want (no ones is white)
Away/Clash - white
The argument is that by and large, it is an unnecessary intrusion to demand that the away team MUST wear white. It's simply not necessary to have such a blanket rule.

Step 1. Both teams wear their home jumper unless there is a clash.
Step 2. Away team wears their choice of clash jumper, unless it still clashes.
Step 3. Away team wears a white clash.

How easy's that?

The argument is that by and large, it is an unnecessary intrusion to demand that the away team MUST wear white. It's simply not necessary to have such a blanket rule.

How easy's that?
Too easy.

Geelong's is white which is why they are the only team in the comp that doesn't need a clash jumper.

Fair. Then they don’t have one.

How easy's that?

I’m onlt suggesting that the white rule eliminates a step in that chain and simplifies it.

If it works for most other professional sporting leagues I really don’t get why the suggestion is so contraversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back