News New Jumpers For 2019 - All Changes In OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing about this without explaination

What happened?

Here's an example of a Captain Marvel guernsey that the Collingwood Women's team were meant to wear last weekend in the double header, coincidentally at Docklands (Marvel Stadium), Norths, Melbourne and the Bulldogs were going to wear similar guernseys

1552459204153.png

And that got canned in January I believe it was after fierce backlash

I know that part. But what was the extent of the backlash?

Basically...they felt it was trivialising the women’s league.

That’s right.

:p

The league of course is terrified of any female backlash around AFLW so they completely bowed to the slight amount of pressure so as not to appear to support this horrendous idea. #maleguilt

Basically...they felt it was trivialising the women’s league.

That’s right.

:p

The league of course is terrified of any female backlash around AFLW so they completely bowed to the slight amount of pressure so as not to appear to support this horrendous idea. #maleguilt
It does trivialise the women's game and attempting to correct that by putting the mens game in a similar farce makes it worse.

I never caught this - is there a link to any coverage?

Takes on more relevance I think with the Bulldog’s worst-of-all time shocker.

I know that part. But what was the extent of the backlash?

Bringing your quote over from the AFLW thread so as not to duplicate discussion. North Melbourne in particular was against it given they already had three jumpers for a seven-game season, but the AFLW idea was leaked in December, months before the game and the resulting negativity from fans and the other three clubs gained enough traction to see it dumped.

I found two interesting quotes in this article from when the jumpers were first mooted (There is another discussing them being dumped but it is basically just the same article with a different opening paragraph).

An unnamed club official said "Some would rightly see it as trivialising the competition, I mean would they do it with the men?

The Western Bulldogs certainly don’t have an issue given its vice-president Kylie Watson-Wheeler is the managing director for the Australian arm of Disney, which owns the Marvel franchise.

That second quote says to me that this whole initiative, in both competitions, was driven by the Western Bulldogs and their Disney-employed board member.

The Western Bulldogs certainly don’t have an issue given its vice-president Kylie Watson-Wheeler is the managing director for the Australian arm of Disney, which owns the Marvel franchise.

Given that there's a Disney executive on the inside of the AFL, I doubt we'll be seeing the back of Marvel anytime soon.

Right now it's a stadium name and one teams jumper. But I can see it becoming much bigger. How much more, I don't know. But the whole 'Marvel Takeover' is growing, and growing fast

That second quote says to me that this whole initiative, in both competitions, was driven by the Western Bulldogs and their Disney-employed board member.

That makes sense as to why both the AFLW Marvel guernseys and now the Thordogs guernsey exists, the good news is the Swans might wear their clash with red shorts rumor has it, something that hasn't been seen since the Opera House mk1 guernsey was last worn way back, in August 1991

That makes sense as to why both the AFLW Marvel guernseys and now the Thordogs guernsey exists, the good news is the Swans might wear their clash with red shorts rumor has it, something that hasn't been seen since the Opera House mk1 guernsey was last worn way back, in August 1991

While the Swans will look fantastic, the whole matchup is going to be very, very messy. It's going to be Dark Blue/Red/Royal vs Red/White/Red

Given that there's a Disney executive on the inside of the AFL, I doubt we'll be seeing the back of Marvel anytime soon.

Right now it's a stadium name and one teams jumper. But I can see it becoming much bigger. How much more, I don't know. But the whole 'Marvel Takeover' is growing, and growing fast

Agreed. I don’t like, but its happening.

Conan O’Brien rocked that look on a recent visit to Sydney. I got a new appreciation as to how good it looks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, the fact that the AFL tried to push it onto three other clubs in the W and it got leaked so that there could be public outrage about it before it was signed off on and the AFL then pulled it suggests to me that the other clubs aren't having any of it. You might see some of the avengers show up on some kmart level club merchandise, but I think the AFL and Disney will have a real fight on their hands if they want clubs to wear superhero gear on match days.

Conan O’Brien rocked that look on a recent visit to Sydney. I got a new appreciation as to how good it looks.

It looks really South Melbourne, would really like to see this be their home setup, other clubs would just have to work around the white jumper coloured shorts combo.

It looks really South Melbourne, would really like to see this be their home setup, other clubs would just have to work around the white jumper coloured shorts combo.

It wouldn't really change much from the status quo I reckon. Geelong would have to wheel out a navy clash, and Gold Coast would have to continue with a blue clash (with blue shorts as well). Every other club could wear their full home uniform against it no worries I reckon. Would solve the Sydney derby eyesore as well.

If you allow Sydney to wear red shorts, then Geelong would have to be allowed to wear Navy, it would be a massive backflip by the AFL

Nah, the fact that the AFL tried to push it onto three other clubs in the W and it got leaked so that there could be public outrage about it before it was signed off on and the AFL then pulled it suggests to me that the other clubs aren't having any of it. You might see some of the avengers show up on some kmart level club merchandise, but I think the AFL and Disney will have a real fight on their hands if they want clubs to wear superhero gear on match days.

There may not be Marvel themed guernseys every other week, but its all the stuff around that. Going to watch football at Marvel Stadium is going to end up feeling like what you're actually doing is going to a Marvel theme park and the football is one of the sideshows.

If you allow Sydney to wear red shorts, then Geelong would have to be allowed to wear Navy, it would be a massive backflip by the AFL
I don't have an issue with this, clubs should be able to wear whatever shorts they want at home.

There may not be Marvel themed guernseys every other week, but its all the stuff around that. Going to watch football at Marvel Stadium is going to end up feeling like what you're actually doing is going to a Marvel theme park and the football is one of the sideshows.

I went to plenty of BBL at Marvel Stadium this year, and it's already starting to feel like a theme park. There's huge murals all over the walls, pictures of superheroes everywhere, and the sports store at the Coventry end is being pulled apart and replaced by a Marvel merchandise store. While the pictures add a bit of colour to the stone-grey concrete, it's starting to look very tacky

Even last year when Marvel was still Etihad there were 'activations' taking place all over the joint. At the Dogs vs Cats game last season (the one where Taylor missed after the siren) they showed the Ant-Man movie before the game and some kids went onto the ground at quarter time to race Ant-Man and the Wasp around the boundary to win movie tickets

I went to plenty of BBL at Marvel Stadium this year, and it's already starting to feel like a theme park. There's huge murals all over the walls, pictures of superheroes everywhere, and the sports store at the Coventry end is being pulled apart and replaced by a Marvel merchandise store. While the pictures add a bit of colour to the stone-grey concrete, it's starting to look very tacky

Even last year when Marvel was still Etihad there were 'activations' taking place all over the joint. At the Dogs vs Cats game last season (the one where Taylor missed after the siren) they showed the Ant-Man movie before the game and some kids went onto the ground at quarter time to race Ant-Man and the Wasp around the boundary to win movie tickets

Yep, have noticed the changes at Melbourne Victory games. It will be worse at AFL games though because they own the joint and will shove it down everyones throats.

But the AFL would tell Geelong to wear navy shorts if it best prevented a clash

Another look

indigenous%20jumper%20web%20123.jpg
It's has WiFi
It says so down the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back