Discussion Bushfire Relief 'State of Origin' Game Jumper Concepts & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

1581902316080.png
Guernsies are out.
The OCD in me is wanting a sponsor, or something on the right breast bit

Other than that, can't go wrong with the Big V. I like the All Stars one. Better than the one in 2008.

Also, Puma getting in on more stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a purely design perspective, the A is quite clever. The jumper is definitely better looking than 2008, and its all for an excellent cause, BUT...

The utter contempt that the AFL shows the “other” states is disgraceful. Its literally an upside down V. Either everyone should get to represent their state, or nobody does. I get that Victoria has the biggest talent pool to draw from, but that doesn’t make them any more important, nor should it diminish the importance of other states and their players desire to represent them. Victorian players get to feel the pride of wearing the big V jumper while all the others will never get that chance.

Just make both teams all stars. Split the teams east/west, do a schoolyard pick, whatever. If they must do SoO, then make it Vic v WA. They’d be the two strongest teams currently and everyone involved is actually playing for something meaningful.

Excited to spend $100 on a guernsey that will probably sit in the wardrobe, never to be seen again. Can't wait.

Excited to spend $100 on a guernsey that will probably sit in the wardrobe, never to be seen again. Can't wait.

Love this bit...

***PRE ORDER YOUR GUERNSEY***
***PLEASE NOTE - DELIVERY PRIOR TO THE GAME CANNOT BE GUARANTEED***

View attachment 824139
Guernsies are out.
The OCD in me is wanting a sponsor, or something on the right breast bit

Other than that, can't go wrong with the Big V. I like the All Stars one. Better than the one in 2008.

Also, Puma getting in on more stuff.
TBH I'm surprised one of the AFL's sponsors haven't pitched in some money to get their logo on the jumpers. They'd get massive quantities of good will from the public, and they'd be able to do it so it was tax deductible.

From a purely design perspective, the A is quite clever. The jumper is definitely better looking than 2008, and its all for an excellent cause, BUT...

The utter contempt that the AFL shows the “other” states is disgraceful. Its literally an upside down V. Either everyone should get to represent their state, or nobody does. I get that Victoria has the biggest talent pool to draw from, but that doesn’t make them any more important, nor should it diminish the importance of other states and their players desire to represent them. Victorian players get to feel the pride of wearing the big V jumper while all the others will never get that chance.

Just make both teams all stars. Split the teams east/west, do a schoolyard pick, whatever. If they must do SoO, then make it Vic v WA. They’d be the two strongest teams currently and everyone involved is actually playing for something meaningful.

Its why State of Origin works for NRL and not AFL.

Outside of Qld and NSW no one else even comes close to deserving there state in the NRL origin matches.

With AFL, there are times when Victoria isn't even in the top two teams on paper.

WA, SA, sometimes even Tasmania.

NSW in the nineties with Carey, Kelly, Longmire, Danihers and Co.

If someone could get together a concept that works it would take off, but I am yet to see a concept that works.

I think it's rather amusing that the non-Victorian team is an upside down V. Victoria v Not Victoria couldn't be summed up any better.

Its why State of Origin works for NRL and not AFL.

Outside of Qld and NSW no one else even comes close to deserving there state in the NRL origin matches.

With AFL, there are times when Victoria isn't even in the top two teams on paper.

WA, SA, sometimes even Tasmania.

NSW in the nineties with Carey, Kelly, Longmire, Danihers and Co.

If someone could get together a concept that works it would take off, but I am yet to see a concept that works.

This has always been my stance. Every year when NRL SOO rolls around, like clockwork the talkback is discussing a return for the AFL. But it just can’t work like it does in the NRL because we are actually a national game.

I can't remember where I read it (it was probably here tbf), but I liked the idea someone put that Victoria has their usual jumper, and the other team has their respective state jumpers, but they all have the same white/gold colour scheme.

How about the All-Stars all wear their respective jumpers in colour, and Victoria wears a white jumper with a navy V?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back