Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought I may as well start up this thread as we're approaching that time of year where we start hearing about contract news and the like.

Myself and Red Crow will update the OP with confirmed changes as they come across; rumours can go in the thread itself.

Changes for 2021

Adelaide
New Manufacturer - O'Neills - Confirmed 2/11/20; Source.
New clash jumper - Inverse of home using gold base - Confirmed 28/11/20; Source.

Brisbane Lions

Carlton

Collingwood

New Manufacturer - Nike - Confirmed 8/1/20; Source.
New Clash Jumper - Return of pinstrips; Source.

Essendon

Fremantle

New Manufacturer - Sekem - Confirmed 12/11/20; Source.

Geelong

Gold Coast

New Manufacturer - New Balance - Confirmed 17/11/20; Source.

Greater Western Sydney
New Manufacturer - Puma - Confirmed 4/12/20; Source.
New Home Jumper - Centred G - Confirmed 14/1/20; Source.
New Clash Jumper - All-orange version of home - Confirmed 14/1/20; Source.
New Alternate Jumper - 2020 White Indigenous Jumper - Confirmed 14/1/20; Source.
Removed/Retired Canberra-specific Jumper - Confirmed 14/1/20; Source.

Hawthorn
New Home Jumper - Added Brown Sidepanels - Confirmed; Source.

Melbourne

North Melbourne

Port Adelaide

New Manufacturer - Macron - Confirmed 27/10/20; Source.

Richmond

St Kilda

New Manufacturer - New Balance - Confirmed 20/10/20; Source.

Sydney
New Manufacturer - Nike - Confirmed 26/11/20; Source.

West Coast
New Manufacturer - Castore - Confirmed 18/12/20; Source.

Western Bulldogs
New back sponsor - TBA - Confirmed 31/8/20; Source.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
First off (and this is the reason why I created this thread, because I didn't really have anywhere else to put it)

It appears that Mercedes-Benz won't be renewing with the Western Bulldogs for next season.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thats actually quite funny, I was just wondering about the Bulldogs Mercedes Benz Vans sponsorship today! I was stuck behind a Vito, and as well as thinking about Get This, I started to wonder whether Mercedes ever felt they got bang for their buck from that sponsorship. Always seemed an odd fit, and was really only brokered due to Shane Delia.

Anyway I don't think I've ever seen an AFL club advertise so blatantly for a new major sponsor before. Maybe in the 90s I guess. Interesting to see how it pans out.

In other news, according to Rucci, the Crows are arguing with the AFL about not wanting a white clash jumper, but the AFL are saying that neither red or gold is sufficient as a clash. Now obviously, we know this to be a furphy considering Essendon have a red clash, and Richmond (and others) have a yellow clash. There is no good reason for the AFL to deny us on this request given the precedent set. Hope the club can push this through and get a new jumper in club colours. I've said it ad nauseum, but I really would love to see us get both a red and gold variant and just wear whichever is most suitable for the occasion. Watch this space I guess.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
the Crows are arguing with the AFL about not wanting a white clash jumper, but the AFL are saying that neither red or gold is sufficient as a clash
is this only for the Crows. Man I'd be so angry if he have to get rid of the gold jumper.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
is this only for the Crows. Man I'd be so angry if he have to get rid of the gold jumper.

Found the audio so I could listen to it properly, as I was only originally going off a comment from the Adelaide board. Quotes as follows:

"The Crows are campaigning that they only wear two jumpers next year - not three, just two - and they want no white in their clash jumper. I'm not sure they can design one that doesn't have in the end some need for white."

*Kane Cornes suggests they use a yellow one, considering that is what Richmond use*

"They tried putting up that yellow one with the hoops... and the AFL won't wear it. They don't want white because they consider white is not in their colour combinations. So it'll be interesting what they design and how the AFL treat them on that as well, they've had a fair bit of difficulty on it in recent weeks."

So firstly, he's got the number of jumpers we currently wear wrong. We haven't had three jumpers since 2017. Secondly, theres actually no mention at all of red not being acceptable. So I'm not sure if he's just going off half cocked (it is Rucci after all), but if we're denied a gold clash and are forced into white again then really every other team with gold/yellow should be forced to adopt a white jumper too.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
In other news, according to Rucci, the Crows are arguing with the AFL about not wanting a white clash jumper, but the AFL are saying that neither red or gold is sufficient as a clash. Now obviously, we know this to be a furphy considering Essendon have a red clash, and Richmond (and others) have a yellow clash. There is no good reason for the AFL to deny us on this request given the precedent set. Hope the club can push this through and get a new jumper in club colours. I've said it ad nauseum, but I really would love to see us get both a red and gold variant and just wear whichever is most suitable for the occasion. Watch this space I guess.

Vic bias!

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Found the audio so I could listen to it properly, as I was only originally going off a comment from the Adelaide board. Quotes as follows:

"The Crows are campaigning that they only wear two jumpers next year - not three, just two - and they want no white in their clash jumper. I'm not sure they can design one that doesn't have in the end some need for white."

*Kane Cornes suggests they use a yellow one, considering that is what Richmond use*

"They tried putting up that yellow one with the hoops... and the AFL won't wear it. They don't want white because they consider white is not in their colour combinations. So it'll be interesting what they design and how the AFL treat them on that as well, they've had a fair bit of difficulty on it in recent weeks."

So firstly, he's got the number of jumpers we currently wear wrong. We haven't had three jumpers since 2017. Secondly, theres actually no mention at all of red not being acceptable. So I'm not sure if he's just going off half cocked (it is Rucci after all), but if we're denied a gold clash and are forced into white again then really every other team with gold/yellow should be forced to adopt a white jumper too.
swear to god I have no idea the reasoning behind most decisions that come from AFL house. One thing that really caught my eye recently was that Eagles have been wearing white shorts against Carlton in Melbourne but a few weeks ago the Blues wore full navy against us in Perth.

Personally I despise white jumpers unless it's in the colour scheme.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!

Rucci gets so many things wrong about footy jumpers - has done for as long as I can remember. I reckon it would be perfectly sensible for Adelaide to have red & yellow away/clash jumpers.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Vic bias!

Its the only explanation! :cool:

Rucci gets so many things wrong about footy jumpers - has done for as long as I can remember. I reckon it would be perfectly sensible for Adelaide to have red & yellow away/clash jumpers.

Yeah I take most things Rucci says with a grain of salt - particularly if its related to the Crows - but I just thought it interesting and something worth keeping an eye on. The current seagull clash was designed by ISC, so even though we've only had it one year it makes some sense to move away from it.

Just as an aside, I reckon this has Adam Kelly's fingerprints all over it. He came in as our new Head of Football to replace birdbrain Burton, and one of the first things he did was make sure that the home jumper was sacrosanct, decreeing it could only be worn in Premiership matches; no pre-season, practice or scratch matches. You had to earn that jumper. I can definitely see him looking at the clash jumper and wanting it to be more in line with the home design / club colours to give it more meaning also.

Just as an aside, I reckon this has Adam Kelly's fingerprints all over it. He came in as our new Head of Football to replace birdbrain Burton, and one of the first things he did was make sure that the home jumper was sacrosanct, decreeing it could only be worn in Premiership matches; no pre-season, practice or scratch matches. You had to earn that jumper. I can definitely see him looking at the clash jumper and wanting it to be more in line with the home design / club colours to give it more meaning also.
Sounds like it, could just be a potential sweetener to a new manufacturer though. Crows would be looking to break the 'two year rule' so that the new sponsor can launch with a new guernsey fans will be eager to buy.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sounds like it, could just be a potential sweetener to a new manufacturer though. Crows would be looking to break the 'two year rule' so that the new sponsor can launch with a new guernsey fans will be eager to buy.

Yeah could be. I guess the design will be telling. An over-designed, artistic, cartoonish piece and you're probably right. Simple hoops on a gold or red base, and it might well be Kelly's influence.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Is there any reason for the Crows only wanting 2 guernseys? I feel like the obvious solution is to have a red based clash for games against Richmond/West Coast and a gold based clash for games against Melbourne and St Kilda etc.

I'm fully supportive of them moving white out of their palette, they've got the right idea.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
It is my understanding Brisbane had a perfectly usable Gold Clash jumper that paid homage to both the original Bears jumpers and the last Bears jumper with the Vee.
And then the club told the manufacturers it needed to be White because of an AFL directive on Clash jumpers.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is my understanding Brisbane had a perfectly usable Gold Clash jumper that paid homage to both the original Bears jumpers and the last Bears jumper with the Vee.
And then the club told the manufacturers it needed to be White because of an AFL directive on Clash jumpers.

Hence the superfluous white side panels on their current otherwise decent gold clash jumper. Remember that weird "70% white" rule floating around a few years back?

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s

Attachments

• 1598928022321.png
    1598928022321.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can confirm that O’Neils will have at least 1 afl team. They are now the apparel manufacturer of my local cricket club and at the fitting and sizing night the rep told the secretary that they have signed at least 1 afl team although he wouldn’t tell me who

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Can confirm that O’Neils will have at least 1 afl team. They are now the apparel manufacturer of my local cricket club and at the fitting and sizing night the rep told the secretary that they have signed at least 1 afl team although he wouldn’t tell me who
Adelaide or West Coast at a guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back