Opinion New Kids On The Block 2020 - who's now your fave?

Who is your pick for new talent season 2020?

• Hamill

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Sholl

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • McHenry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Butts

• Keays

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Jones

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • McAdam

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Crocker

• McAsey

• Frampton

• McPherson

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Stengle

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If someone can be an A grader, then there's every chance they can become elite as well. Fun though in a few years time, to see how far correct/incorrect we are looking back on these kind of early predictions. :)

Oh I would love to be so wrong, looking back on this in 3-4 years time. Gosh that would be good.

I think a good example of what I am saying is look at Sloane. I dont rate him as elite, at any stage of his career, but definitely A class player.

McAdam, Stengle, Keays, McPherson, Hamill, Sholl, Schoenberg all up there.

I'll always have a soft spot for Stengle as someone who's loved him during his draft year, but I have to go McAdam here. Love his defensive intensity and miraculous offensive game

Schoenberg has major upside and is going to be a Star! I also love the way McPherson has come into the team and looked like a polished AFL player from the word go. Really strong in one on one contests and looks comfortable enough with ball in hand.

Still Fogarty for me. Love his swagger.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’ve recently seen a few clips of younger Tex when he was evasive and a whole lot lighter. Unfortunately Fog is already way less athletic than Tex was. I’m not sure what they can do with Fog to speed him up, I think he’s too slow for AFL. Even his predraft footage I noted he was slow but able to strength his way through traffic. His opponents in AFL are not 17/18 year olds. Hope I’m wrong.

I’ve recently seen a few clips of younger Tex when he was evasive and a whole lot lighter. Unfortunately Fog is already way less athletic than Tex was. I’m not sure what they can do with Fog to speed him up, I think he’s too slow for AFL. Even his predraft footage I noted he was slow but able to strength his way through traffic. His opponents in AFL are not 17/18 year olds. Hope I’m wrong.
Tex's agility set him apart from the other key forwards in the comp. Played like a flanker. Sando tried to make him the incredible Hulk in 2012. Then did his knee and never had that same agility. Even in 2015-17 when he was up and about and lost a bit of that 2013 weight he wasnt as agile as 2009-11 Walker

McAdam, Stengle, Keays, McPherson, Hamill, Sholl, Schoenberg all up there.

I'll always have a soft spot for Stengle as someone who's loved him during his draft year, but I have to go McAdam here. Love his defensive intensity and miraculous offensive game
I never though Stengle would make it because of his size or McAdam because of fitness. Egg on my face.:$
Being a WWT boy I should have had more faith in Stengle.

Probably none of them that I'm willing to bet that they'll become an A grade player like we had early days with the likes of Danger and Tex. It's not to say that none of them will achieve that level, I just don't have the same excitement yet.

That being said, really like the corner McAdam has turned in recent weeks and showing some of his elite skills. Plenty to work with and another pre season should do him wonders.

Sholl is probably my next favourite, how can't you like someone that can actually kick a ball? Even better that he can do it on either foot so if he can find a way to get 15-20 odd touches a game and breakeven defensively (if he's half back, feel like wing might be the go) then he'll be a winner.

Probably none of them that I'm willing to bet that they'll become an A grade player like we had early days with the likes of Danger and Tex. It's not to say that none of them will achieve that level, I just don't have the same excitement yet.

That being said, really like the corner McAdam has turned in recent weeks and showing some of his elite skills. Plenty to work with and another pre season should do him wonders.

Sholl is probably my next favourite, how can't you like someone that can actually kick a ball? Even better that he can do it on either foot so if he can find a way to get 15-20 odd touches a game and breakeven defensively (if he's half back, feel like wing might be the go) then he'll be a winner.
I think Sholl on the wing would be the biggest benefit, and distributing lace out to our forward line. There is something of a bonus that he's exceptional on both leg, and this would be hard for his opponent to know which leg to defend on. With Atkins for comparison, he would mostly (98% of the time) kick on the left, and this made it more predictable for opponents to know where to position so he won't get a clear kick on the left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fog can play a decent game of footy against Rance in his first handful of games, then surely he's capable of playing against any bloke as he matures? Also I don't think it's fair to compare him to Tex right now. His body shape is completely different to Tex at a comparable age.

Tex's agility set him apart from the other key forwards in the comp. Played like a flanker. Sando tried to make him the incredible Hulk in 2012. Then did his knee and never had that same agility. Even in 2015-17 when he was up and about and lost a bit of that 2013 weight he wasnt as agile as 2009-11 Walker
I think Tex had 2 phase of deterioration: post-knee injury and post-plantar fasciitis injury.
For a big bloke, the weight also doesn't help his cause to regain that original agility.

I love what Shane (Charlie Cameron who?) McAdam brings. As an exciting jump as Birdbrain was but without the brain fades. Covers the ground exceptionally quickly. Reads the play well. Tackles. Is showing courage. His upward trajectory has been a delight to watch as he has grown in confidence. Sholl, Shoenberg also Hamil great finds. I wonder if McPherson (also a positive) will eventually play out of the centre square?

Sholl, Schoenberg, Hamill, Stengle and McAdam all very exciting. But my vote is for McPherson or Keays. McPherson already looking like a veteran, such a cool head. So good to see him thrive after those injury woes. And Keays works so hard, really taken his second chance by the scruff of the neck. I was one of the first to get on board the Keays train (before his first game for us) so I'm going to claim that.

Im finding it hard to cast a vote

I love McAdam's development and match winning capabilities

Schoenberg gives us a different look in the midfield and he plays with attitude

Scholl, love his decision making and execution by either foot, he only needs 15 touches to really hurt the opposition

Hamill gives as genuine speed off HB and is a very good 1+1 defender

Stengle always looks dangerous when the ball is in his area and ive been surprised how clever he is with ball in hand

Keays is Mr Reliable and gives a consistent effort qtr by qtr, and week in week out

But for me if I had to select a player it would be McPherson

McPherson already looks a player who has player 50 games, reads the game so well, very composed and never makes a bad decision

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

McPherson deserves a shout out. Don't see him being an A grader but could play his role really well as he looks capable defensively along with being able to provide some attack offensively. This is the perfect kind of player to replace a Brown/Kelly who are 100% defensive minded.

i think you’re right plus the game has changed in that 5 years since he was 17. he’s clearly not fit enough and needs his own fitness programme, thank god haas will be gone next year

McAdam, love high fliers that can take spectacular marks, so it's an easy choice.

Last night he went up in a marking contest, hit the deck, ball spills out, Tiger gains possession, is about to handball and a Crows player nearly gets them. Who is it, surely not the guy that contested the mark and went to ground. Of course it was. Reminds me of a young McLeod in that sense, a seemingly silent hunter, in an instant you seem to have gone from a pressureless disposal to being brought to ground with a thud. Absolutely love this kid.

Im finding it hard to cast a vote

I love McAdam's development and match winning capabilities

Schoenberg gives us a different look in the midfield and he plays with attitude

Scholl, love his decision making and execution by either foot, he only needs 15 touches to really hurt the opposition

Hamill gives as genuine speed off HB and is a very good 1+1 defender

Stengle always looks dangerous when the ball is in his area and ive been surprised how clever he is with ball in hand

Keays is Mr Reliable and gives a consistent effort qtr by qtr, and week in week out

But for me if I had to select a player it would be McPherson

McPherson already looks a player who has player 50 games, reads the game so well, very composed and never makes a bad decision

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with all that. McPherson is incredibly cool, it looks so easy for him, ice runs through his veins. Just imagine how good this group would have been if we'd been able to get another year of development into them in the SANFL.

Last night he went up in a marking contest, hit the deck, ball spills out, Tiger gains possession, is about to handball and a Crows player nearly gets them. Who is it, surely not the guy that contested the mark and went to ground. Of course it was. Reminds me of a young McLeod in that sense, a seemingly silent hunter, in an instant you seem to have gone from a pressureless disposal to being brought to ground with a thud. Absolutely love this kid.
correct, the new librarian. sneaks up behind you. very quickly

Back