Opinion New Kids On The Block 2020 - who's now your fave?

Who is your pick for new talent season 2020?

• Hamill

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Sholl

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • McHenry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Butts

• Keays

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Jones

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • McAdam

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Crocker

• McAsey

• Frampton

• McPherson

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Stengle

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Agree with all that. McPherson is incredibly cool, it looks so easy for him, ice runs through his veins. Just imagine how good this group would have been if we'd been able to get another year of development into them in the SANFL.
I'd love to have seen Moose actually play SANFL last year, well more than 3 games.

He's just got something special, and in a position of dire need. We really don't have another lockdown small after Brown.

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know he’s not the most elite or spectacular, but I love what Keays has bought to this group, a work ethic that teammates should take note of and take on board

He needs to be in the midfield rotation next year.

He fell off a bit toward the end of the year when he was moved out of the middle, still did the right thing when he got it, but in my opinion isn't a good enough footballer to be an outside role like a winger or a half back. Needs to be our tagger and rotating mid.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He needs to be in the midfield rotation next year.

He fell off a bit toward the end of the year when he was moved out of the middle, still did the right thing when he got it, but in my opinion isn't a good enough footballer to be an outside role like a winger or a half back. Needs to be our tagger and rotating mid.
The sort of player I would go to war for and have his back

chrisso crow

All Australian
Jul 27, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NA Roosters
Tough call, was Hamill earlier in the year, but am now enjoying watching Sholl's elite kicking skills. That piercing left footer in the Richmond game that hit his team mate on the test was sublime. Half (at least) of the AFL players can't do that on their preferred foot.

McAdam now has some self belief that wasn't there earlier in the year and brings some excitement to the game with his unpredictability, but most importantly gets himself involved in games and does it consistently.

Looking forward to seeing Hamill back though. The correct decision was made not to play him late this year. There was nothing to gain and everything to lose if he got another concussion.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
correct, the new librarian. sneaks up behind you. very quickly

That skill is not about devopment time in the 2's or AFL level fitness or in-game coaching, or any coaching. The desire and enjoyment derived from getting to players and bringing them down is built in. It cannot be trained into. It does not matter how fit or fast you make someone, destroying a player with ball in hand is a state of mind. You either love doing it or you don't. McAdam is a classic, loves getting the ball, but wants to punish those that get it ahead of him. Bunge was like this, it's pure beauty. Fitness gives you the the physical tool, it doesn't give you the state of mind.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Locking down is the easiest role in footy. Do not overate it.
Yeah good call, it's more the lockdown and drive types we don't have. Talia can lockdown, Kelly can too if he's still here.

Sprams

Rookie
Apr 27, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
For starters he had injury issues when he was here.

Before that I dont know.

Ricciuto was asked this during the coverage of a recent game (might have been Tigers game). He basically said McAdam was hidden away a bit up in Halls Creek (Kimberlies region) and took a while to decide he wanted to take AFL seriously and give it a real crack.

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
From what I have seen I think any of the following could become a graders. Himmelberg McAdam, McPherson , Sholl, Schoenberg, and BUTTS (After 2 games - good decision making, kick will develop big frame if like his father, from reports ). Less convinced about McAsey, Hammill, Stengle and Fog, but I think they all could be B graders as well perhaps one of these will be an A grader ... Jones probable B grader. McHenry perhaps c grader.
Our top end picks have disappointed and we’ll have to wait on them. But overall, there is a lot to get excited about, and all around the same age.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mr Alldayeveryday

Senior List
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex's agility set him apart from the other key forwards in the comp. Played like a flanker. Sando tried to make him the incredible Hulk in 2012. Then did his knee and never had that same agility. Even in 2015-17 when he was up and about and lost a bit of that 2013 weight he wasnt as agile as 2009-11 Walker
I also think the club told Tex he had to become Carry/Tredrea/J.Brown type of player. A big Power forward, marking type but he was never that type of player. He was more like Fev, someone who had really good agility/speed for a bigger guy, with a lot of skill who could jump on a pack from time to time to take a grab. Too big for a 3rd tall and too fast for a KPD. Putting on all that muscle has shorten his career and given him way more injuries. Tex should have been playing at around 95kg instead of 105kg, he also should have been playing closer to goal a lot more.

Mr Alldayeveryday

Senior List
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Wayne Milera is still a young player at 23 then i'd still go with him for potential. He has the upside to be a Top 15 AFL player BUT can he put it together and become a top 15 AFL player? looks like a no for now. They should play him in the midfield given how good he is in traffic. Injuries haven't helped him much either.

I would have said Fog this time last year but its hard to tell now. Fog needs to get super fit 1st then we might see him take that Lynch role i think he could pinch hit mid as well since he did as a youngster.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Wayne Milera is still a young player at 23 then i'd still go with him for potential. He has the upside to be a Top 15 AFL player BUT can he put it together and become a top 15 AFL player? looks like a no for now. They should play him in the midfield given how good he is in traffic. Injuries haven't helped him much either.

I would have said Fog this time last year but its hard to tell now. Fog needs to get super fit 1st then we might see him take that Lynch role i think he could pinch hit mid as well since he did as a youngster.
Regarding Fog I think this stop-start and shortened season with training restrictions does not help with his match conditioning. He seems to be the most affected this season than the rest of the new kids coming through. Hopefully he will have a belter preseason and the stars will align for him next year! Particularly if Tex declines or not playing next year, we really need a fit, firing Fog!

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
My favs are Sholl and Hamill. Sholl speaks for itself but Hamill showed grit when the rest of the team were playing poo. Several times he took the game on when team mates were weren't pulling their weight. He won me over with that. Could have been easy for him to stay in his shell and play safe.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Tex was at his best in 2012. He wasnt the stay at home clunking forward, we had Tippet for that. He bulked up after his knee.

I still think he was excellent is 15, 16 & 17 but has hit a wall like many of our 'almost' squad have.

I also think the club told Tex he had to become Carry/Tredrea/J.Brown type of player. A big Power forward, marking type but he was never that type of player. He was more like Fev, someone who had really good agility/speed for a bigger guy, with a lot of skill who could jump on a pack from time to time to take a grab. Too big for a 3rd tall and too fast for a KPD. Putting on all that muscle has shorten his career and given him way more injuries. Tex should have been playing at around 95kg instead of 105kg, he also should have been playing closer to goal a lot more.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

WAG

The People's Captain
Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fog could be an immense player with his sublime boot.

Clearly I have no idea what's was going on in his head over the past few seasons, however I get the feeling that he thought he could rock up at AFL level and it would all just happen. Hope he sees the light and doesn't waste his obvious talent. Finding a better balance between his aggression towards the ball and player would help too.

For mine, this year it has been great to see the belief rise in McAdam, Himmelberg and Sholl. Particularly Berg who seemed to flip a switch in Round 15.

Back