New leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m saying that those two have been at the club during one of the shittest of periods this club has produced since Franz Ferdinand was assasinated. In my view, we needed to import someone as a captain figurehead who has the runs on the board, because none of our blokes had been near it or know what it takes (Liam Shiels notwithstanding). Luke appears to be everyone’s mate. Jy looks to train his ring off. Neither to me scream ‘follow me, I’ll show you what it takes’ on field.

Fagan has won nothing. Nil. Zilch.

It’s like saying Brad Scott was a good leader because he made a couple of prelims and knew his was around a property portfolio.

You are completely missing the point here regarding Fagan. You say unless someone is a great player, then they are not a leader and players won't cop criticism from them. I'm saying that theory went out the window when Royce Hart failed as a coach. You do not have to be a great player to be a leader, either on-field or in the coaches' box. And I suggest that Fagan is respected by his players despite not having played at the top level and not having coached a premiership yet. So he is the living embodiment that your beliefs on leadership in football are outdated and irrelevant.

There does exist the potential for blokes to abstain from expressing their true feelings because that'll make them stand out from the pack, but I doubt it's had much of an impact. It seems a healthy group to me.

The views that have informed the players' votes are far more organically formed than any opinion anyone on here could spout, as the players actually have personal interactions with and witness firsthand the behaviour of all their teammates.

Maybe some on here should hold off on the criticism and accept that LDU not being voted in in place of McDonald does not necessarily indicate a flawed voting process

This post is far too sensible and has no place in this discussion. Mods, please card this clown.

Yeah I get that Ferb's, but the bloke I trust the most at the club may not be the best leader/Captain.

Maybe it was in the context of "vote for the bloke you trust most with leading the club." I most likely have misinterpreted.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We'd have to know the context of that discussion (and the use of the word trust) really. If you're not there its hard to know the baggage or subtext or whatever that it all meant to the players. I don't think its about who the players trust the most but who they trust to do the job.

WE can't compare Carey to today's situation cos he was a unique individual. He was a huge campaigner who could hold his own against anyone and play match winning footy and is considered one of the greatest players of all time. The words generational talent do apply to him.

How many players in the comp do they apply to?

Is Pendlebury a match winner, or Moore to that extent? Or is it the likes of DeGoey that does that stuff for the Pies?

What about Dustin Martin or Trent Cotchin? The best player there wasn't captain was he.

Couple things...

LDU wasn't in contention for the leadership group. He's introverted and the club considers him a "lead by example" type. If he wants to be in the leadership group in future (apparently he's not sure if he wants to be) he has a fair bit of work to do outside of performing himself. The club doesn't see this as a negative.

Sheezel is as close to a lock to be captain as you will find. He has driven the young brigade around him to get fitter and is the clear standout of the young boys. Is very respected an vocal already. Is demanding a lot from his teammates, particularly the younger boys.

We will miss McKay's leadership.

Lmao Lol GIF

Was he gonna engage with his heart, his mind, and even his energy?
You want every player to do that. The leader has to add some direction or keep the team directed to goals and bolster other players when they disengage a bit.

Carey had leadership qualities, charisma and was one of the greatest players ever.

We want players like Selwood and Hodge to lead us cos players like Carey are freaks and you can't count on them showing up. Selwood and Hodge both got the ball and used it well but tackled their arses off too. They worked hard defensively and pushed their team mates to do the same and they worked to develop their games and improve. They were both very good players too. High picks who played well early and are among the top percentage of players ever. easily the top 200 of the 13000 odd players ever, probably higher.

Jy does that stuff but could do more. Lmac has another chance this year.

You want every player to do that. The leader has to add some direction or keep the team directed to goals and bolster other players when they disengage a bit.

Carey had leadership qualities, charisma and was one of the greatest players ever.

We want players like Selwood and Hodge to lead us cos players like Carey are freaks and you can't count on them showing up. Selwood and Hodge both got the ball and used it well but tackled their arses off too. They worked hard defensively and pushed their team mates to do the same and they worked to develop their games and improve. They were both very good players too. High picks who played well early and are among the top percentage of players ever. easily the top 200 of the 13000 odd players ever, probably higher.

Jy does that stuff but could do more. Lmac has another chance this year.
Lol, I was just making a meme reference. Didn't mean for you to go into depth, but I appreciate the thought out response nevertheless

The captains of this club just sum up where we are as a club
Would be great to have a superstar skipper who inspired the team, but alas we don’t have one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back