Rumour New List Manager - Matthew Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't blame him for his Dad!

Would come with plenty of inside contract/player information, that could be very valuable.

Well, I am and once bitten, twice shy.

He also hasn't helped us out with sending players our way over the past few years.

It also comes back to another job for the family or friends and family of the old boys club.

Recruiting I get being interstate for.
List manager. .. I'd like to think sees the list most days.

I do agree, but reckon there's one advantage of being interstate. The extra 'independence' from the day to day at the club will afford a more ruthless (slightly too strong a word) approach to contracts. My nature is to complain and criticise, but I'm adopting a suck it and see on this one. So much positive lately, I thinks it's affecting my mindset.

If this is the best person for the job then no issues with him being Melb based.

Apart from the fact it's the heart of player management and so being based there makes sense, in this day and age of communication I see no reason why the job could not be done remotely anyway. Video conferencing, FaceTime, Skype etc etc + it's an hour flight.

I think its a bit rough to judge him on the way his old man goes about it. He might be completely different. I dont know about you, but im my own person.

Maybe it is illogical, emotional and unsupported with common sense but his name just doesn't fill me with confidence.

He will need to do something very special to change my mind.

Difference is this one appears to have left the nest and spread their wings elsewhere. Not sat around adelaide, biding time, doing bridging courses while waiting for the call-up.

And not willing to come back and live in the city he works.

If this is the best person for the job then no issues with him being Melb based.

Apart from the fact it's the heart of player management and so being based there makes sense, in this day and age of communication I see no reason why the job could not be done remotely anyway. Video conferencing, FaceTime, Skype etc etc + it's an hour flight.

And it won't stop him doing blocks of 2-4 days regularly in adelaide.

right on the money PJ

Wouldn't worry me if he was based in Victoria, Pete. Victoria provides approximately 40% of all draftees each year, so it wouldn't hurt for him to be based where a goodly part of the action is. Ogilvie who is in charge of recruiting is still based in Victoria too to the best of my knowledge, with talent scouts based in the other Australian states. Obviously there would be regular meetings between Nobes and his chief operatives, which could be rotated between here and Melbourne as required or desired.

I'll need some convincing on this one, boys.

I think it's a slippery slope when you start allowing club management employees to live in a different city from where the team is based.

Remember Dean Laidley working at Port and living in Melbourne? How long did that last? The whole time it was like he had one foot in the water - he couldn't wait to get out.

If you're committed to the club you move to the city where the club is. Unless you can unequivocally show that we're actually better off with you being in another city.

I think it's a slippery slope when you start allowing club management employees to live in a different city from where the team is based.

Remember Dean Laidley working at Port and living in Melbourne? How long did that last? The whole time it was like he had one foot in the water - he couldn't wait to get out.

If you're committed to the club you move to the city where the club is. Unless you can unequivocally show that we're actually better off with you being in another city.
Mate I was thinking about it after my post.

I ended up liking the idea more. It's important IMO that he's in Melb - it's the epicentre of player movement regardless of where the player is based. I would rather he be in Melb with the capacity to schmooze daily, face to face, with the movers and shakers. You know - lunch, get on the turps, end up at a house of ill repute.

I'd rather him have to do all that and Skype Noble afterwards, maybe visit once per fortnight, rather than a formal Skype with Liam Pickering followed by coffee with Noble.

Make sense?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate I was thinking about it after my post.

I ended up liking the idea more. It's important IMO that he's in Melb - it's the epicentre of player movement regardless of where the player is based. I would rather he be in Melb with the capacity to schmooze daily, face to face, with the movers and shakers. You know - lunch, get on the turps, end up at a house of ill repute.

I'd rather him have to do all that and Skype Noble afterwards, maybe visit once per fortnight, rather than a formal Skype with Liam Pickering followed by coffee with Noble.

Make sense?

Yeah, I can see it. I just hope it's made as an advantageous decision, rather than a compromise.

Yeah, I can see it. I just hope it's made as an advantageous decision, rather than a compromise.
Absolutely must be the best man for the job in all respects - the fact he is in melb works but should not be a clincher - we could always get the best man here and reassign them to melb if necessary.

Simply a happy coincidence he's there and certainly not a determining factor IMO

Yeah, I agree Pete. But I'm not fussed for this role. a huge slice of the market comes from Victoria so in that sense we will be advantaged IMO. If they were located on the Gold Coast then I would be worrying :)

I agree. If the decision is strategic then I can accept it but if its all about a compromise then I would assume that the guy doesn't have his heart in the job and we shouldn't hire him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back