New look ODI side

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Great work by the Aussies to win the World Cup.

Smith, Warner, Starc, Hazlewood, Maxwell all played in the 2015 world cup XI and Cummins and Marsh were in that same squad.

Smith also played in the 2011 world cup.

Hard to see any of them being there in 2027 - possibly Cummins and Marsh.

Stoinis will also be gone.

Some of the above may want to continue and play out until Champions Trophy 2025.

The side should transition and still have a nucleus of Head, Marnus, Green come 2027.

Cummins is only 30 he should make it to the next World Cup and obviously he will be targeting to join Ponting McGrath and Gilchrist as triple winners.

Marsh I can’t see a part of the team though his brother did play into his late 30s.

As I said previously win lose or draw its time to start the regeneration of the side

Perfect opportunity to move both Warner and Smudge on ...both have achieved the ultimate twice by winning two WC nothing left to achieve for the two champs.

Warner has already alluded about CA contracts and how difficult it is for him.....t20 gun for hire for me

Smudge needs to be told to give up the white ball both ODI and t20...its time justto concentrate on test cricket and hopefully we can get a good solid 2 years out of him....maybe retire at the next Ashes at home

Success is fantastic but it can change very quickly....look at the poms this WC...same stars but failed to perform....I don't want to see that with this aussie team

Cummins is only 30 he should make it to the next World Cup and obviously he will be targeting to join Ponting McGrath and Gilchrist as triple winners.

Marsh I can’t see a part of the team though his brother did play into his late 30s.
Mitch just turned 32 so I can see him playing to at least 36 if he stays fit in the white ball format...tests not as much

Going really early with this prediction:

Head
Short
Marsh
Drew
Inglis
Fraser-McGurk
Webster
Cummins
Elliott
Johnson
Zampa

Philippe, McSweeney, Sutherland, Agar

Can we just enjoy the moment of winning another WC

Yes there will be some changes by 2027, but don't forget our captain retired less than 12 months out from this WC and it didn't seem to matter

Players like Smith, Warner, Starc, Hazlewood, Maxwell are Aussie greats and are still performing so there is no rush to see them out

The ones I think you can basically lock away are:

1. Head
2. Marsh
3. Labuschagne
4. Green
8. Cummins
10. Zampa

From memory Marsh will "only" be 35 by 2027, for reference that's younger than Warner and a similar age to Maxwell. He likely goes after the 2027 World Cup and likely will only be a part-time bowler at best but 2027 doesn't seem out of reach for him.

Wicket-keeper I'm assuming Inglis will get first crack but I still don't really rate him that highly. Phillippe is a talent but mostly only opens at ODI level so I'm not sure he'd work with our balance. I'm guessing it's between those two for the keeper slot, I think Carey's ODI career is probably over now.

The middle-order concerns me. It seems like everyone who can bat at ODI level seems to open rather than play finisher style roles (think Short, Phillippe, Fraser-McGurk, McDermott, Jewell). I think Renshaw's a better finisher than people give credit for but I'm not sure he's a big enough hitter for what Australia would want. Turner could be an option but isn't young. I'd like to see McSweeney play some ODI's soon but again, not sure where he fits in.

Out of the big dinger style hitters the only two I can think of that look possible are Tim David (who's a non-entity outside of T20's) and Ollie Davies. Davies in particular I'd like a look at.

As for all-rounders - I think you can probably get 10 overs out of Green, Marsh and Head generally (but maybe less so in South Africa?) If you needed an all-rounder in the squad it's hard to think of a real good one that bats middle-order. Strangely the most promising out of the side is Jack Edwards (in addition to Short and McSweeney), but again he opens.

Bowlers - well Cummins and Zampa I think are locks, although Tanveer Sangha might have something to say about the latter. If they can stay fit I think Jhye Richardson and Spencer Johnson are the two most promising but injuries will be an issue. Thornton's done well at times but consistency is an issue. Sutherland's pace and inability to mix it up worries me; if he does play he pretty much has to bowl all his overs within the first 30. For a longer shot, I like Will Salzmann but that might be my NSW bias talking.

So I'll be a bit bold and go:

1. Travis Head (c)
2. Mitchell Marsh (vc)
3. Marnus Labuschagne
4. Cameron Green
5. Nathan McSweeney
6. Josh Inglis (wk)
7. Ollie Davies
8. Pat Cummins
9. Jhye Richardson
10. Adam Zampa
11. Spencer Johnson