Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Thank you.

You probably missed it because I haven't yet flexed my muscles and wreaked havoc on wandering trolls. Actually it's pretty quiet board wise in general here. I mean we get the odd Port supporters who are lured over by Biffinator's Toump thread, and that strange Hawks guy that fell apart in record time after round 20. And who could forget Whoooooooooo? But it's a pretty low crime area in general. Richmond mods must have their work cut out.

giphy.gif

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not as bad as 2013. Mad respect to the mod crew back then.

Most of the crackpots have settled in at demonland and demonology, I'm probably the last one still here.

bf has had an interesting history though, it's popularity grew with the online arguments and vitriol

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Most of the crackpots have settled in at demonland and demonology, I'm probably the last one still here.

bf has had an interesting history though, it's popularity grew with the online arguments and vitriol
I reckon the various scandals have probably spiked the forum's growth in a pretty big way. Actually I don't mind some of the arguments, though it only takes one or two loons to collapse a topic totally and provoke some of the more lunatic meltdowns you could ever hope to see.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon the various scandals have probably spiked the forum's growth in a pretty big way. Actually I don't mind some of the arguments, though it only takes one or two loons to collapse a topic totally and provoke some of the more lunatic meltdowns you could ever hope to see.

The big growth took place when guys like Zeke (aka fat hands) and Yze_Magic were running amok. It's interesting but BF grew on the back of trolling, it got people back wanting to argue with the antagonists. The result was a lot more traffic which translated into more money but the downside was it changed from a pretty sensible place to discuss footy to the troll fest it later became. If they had of stamped out the trolling completely they would never have had as much growth, so in the end capitalism wins :)

I think the vast majority of mods do a great job, a couple stick out now who are pretty ordinary but the worst was a Port Adelaide mod, thankfully he is long gone. But people want to argue, they would much prefer reply to a troll post than discuss the game now. I've tried it in various threads, creating a post that opens the door to further discussion but no one replies. A couple of pages later posting something stupid and a dozen people instantly reply ready for a fight. Now is that just because of basic human nature and the internet or because of how the culture of this place was allowed to develop to make more money?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
The big growth took place when guys like Zeke (aka fat hands) and Yze_Magic were running amok. It's interesting but BF grew on the back of trolling, it got people back wanting to argue with the antagonists. The result was a lot more traffic which translated into more money but the downside was it changed from a pretty sensible place to discuss footy to the troll fest it later became. If they had of stamped out the trolling completely they would never have had as much growth, so in the end capitalism wins :)

I think the vast majority of mods do a great job, a couple stick out now who are pretty ordinary but the worst was a Port Adelaide mod, thankfully he is long gone. But people want to argue, they would much prefer reply to a troll post than discuss the game now. I've tried it in various threads, creating a post that opens the door to further discussion but no one replies. A couple of pages later posting something stupid and a dozen people instantly reply ready for a fight. Now is that just because of basic human nature and the internet or because of how the culture of this place was allowed to develop to make more money?
Bit of both maybe? Certainly the internet encourages a certain group of people for whom just saying something and making a splash is more important then content ie just spouting something and saying "that's my opinion" outweighs having a considered, thoughtful, innovative or imaginative thing to say.

Still, there are positives to Internet forums as well. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Also, just quietly, there are a few Bigfooty posters that clearly devote themselves to the odd bit of trolling that I have a soft spot for - some of them have made me laugh - though probably I shouldn't.

Also, just quietly, there are a few Bigfooty posters that clearly devote themselves to the odd bit of trolling that I have a soft spot for - some of them have made me laugh - though probably I shouldn't.

Hello, Frank Walker National Tiles.

Back