NFL New NFL Uniforms/Logos

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Detroit Lions---New Uniform Changes 2010

The Lions are like a busted old car that doesn't work. The most practical thing to do is jack the radiator cap up and put a new one of everything else under it. This won't sell unless there is a brand new paint job to go with it, hence the uniforms.

Change in dud franchises is all about making sure people front up next year and buy their season tickets. Hence my team will hype the hell out of FA pick ups, top round draft picks as well as the admin changes.

This is from Detroit radio station 97.1FM, they're asking Detroit's people to vote on the best potential logo. I dont think these are in any official capacity, just suggestions:

3800287.jpg

Crumpler, you're right. They made more significant changes around 2003.
But you know what? They also made big uniform changes about 7 years before their SB too.

Yeah you're right there. It was the big change that we made in 03 that I was talking about, and while I liked the new logo at the time I think our previous one is actually better now that I look back on it. It just has a lot more originality than the current one. The main argument about the old logo was that the Falcon looked rather dull, almost like it was asleep, and the fans wanted something a bit more fierce (there's that word again ;))

This is where we part ways. I've never understood the need for a logo to look "aggressive" or "modern". 49ers, Packers and Steelers have classic logos and success and their logo is as passive and oldschool as you can get.

A few years ago the Seahawks logo (Which was great, IMO) was "tweaked" to look more aggro. A subtle difference in the end, but I really don't understand it.

I do agree with you in some ways here. I think the teams mascot kinda dictates the direction the logo can go in. Not much wiggle room for teams that have an "intangible" like the teams you mentioned, whereas the teams with animal mascots probably want to depict the aggressive nature of said animal.

I actually don't mind the Seahawks logo tweak. If I remember correctly the original logo kinda had the same blank and dull expression going on that our logo had. I know a lot of people hate it but I like the deep green colour they added. Makes it look more striking. I always thought the Seahawks original colour scheme was quite boring but I'm led to believe those colours were meant to represent the Pacific Northwest region that the team is from.

One more thing... if the Lions *have* to change logos and uniforms, lets hope they don't replicate the Detroit Pistons effort of the mid 90's. Gawd some awful sports uniforms came out of that era.

The one with the horse!! That was absolutely TERRIBLE, as were the colours they used to accompany it. :thumbsdown:

Much like the Atlanta Hawks, why lose the colours that your so famous/destinct for.

Argh another abomination. The old school Hawks unis and colours were great. I have no idea why they decided to go with this generic blue and white crud. And why does their home court have some sort of orange shade around it?

As per one of my previous posts, this has to be Top 5 worst logos of all time. This is a PROFESSIONAL sporting team, and this is all they could come up with:

breakers.jpg

You wouldn't mind getting the bloke inside the shirt back either ;)

I'd settle for the second coming of Tyrone Braxton, the way the safeties are at Denver atm. We've had a such a rich heritage of quality, Goose Gonsoulin, Billy Thompson, Dennis Smith, Atwater, John Lynch.

:mad:

I found this bit of info interesting. Look at the names on this staff....

Schwartz’s career has followed the ebb and flow that’s natural to the league, and his early days of coaching were perhaps his greatest lesson of all. He spent three years as a scout in Cleveland with then-Browns head coach Bill Belichick, but when owner Art Modell fired Belichick before the team moved to Baltimore prior to the 1996 season, a difficult move became a harrowing rebuilding project.

New coach Ted Marchibroda was brought in, and he kept the shell of the coaching staff, including Schwartz, then 30, the quality-control coach on defense. Alongside him for those two seasons was perhaps one of the more impressive coaching staffs you’ll find in recent NFL history: Marvin Lewis, Kirk Ferentz, Pat Hill, Ken Whisenhunt, Maxie Baughan, Scott O’Brien and Mike Sheppard, among others. The other quality-control coach? None other than Eric Mangini. In the front office, there was even more future NFL royalty: Ozzie Newsome, Scott Pioli, Phil Savage, George Kokinis, Terry McDonough, Eric DeCosta and more.

This is from Detroit radio station 97.1FM, they're asking Detroit's people to vote on the best potential logo. I dont think these are in any official capacity, just suggestions:

3800287.jpg

I don't mind #2 - it incorporates the MLB Tigers logo (which has always been one of my favourites) into what they currently have. I couldn't see them going with this look though.

#4 I like as well although I dunno how it would come out with their colour scheme.

#8 is very good too. I thought it looked familiar and having checked out sportslogos.net I see that they used this one from 1961 to '69. I would like to see this re-introduced.

The rest I don't care for, #7 has potential but kinda reminds me of an NFL Europe logo for some reason.

If they do change I betcha they'll go with something like #5 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#1 is clip art.. pffft!

#2 is re-inventing itself with a fancy font.. ok

#3 is a puddle silhouette.. crap

#4 reminds me of Wizard of Oz.. No courage, no chance

#5 Colours? Rugby Union team somewhere?

#6 Rooster meets GMH (Brocky will be crowing from Heaven).. not bad actually

#7 Similiar to #6, very much a college look but looks ok also

#8 1970's throwback look. I'd put the current Lion like in #2 on the stripes
actually.

Some more updates on this...

Matt Zeeley:-
3265595229_a4ec8c2799_o.jpg

And another graphic design company:-
Hey everyone! I'm studying graphic design here in South Bend (I do not attend Notre Dame, don't worry! I'm a True Blue fan) and decided to post this here with the news of the Lions possibly ditching Bubbles... So yeah, enjoy!

(And try not to mind the wordiness of it... it was written to people not from Detroit on a different forum, so some parts may seem a little elementary...)

So this whole project started about 3 weeks ago when I got word that my hometown team, the Detroit Lions, were considering implementing a new logo. After giving it some thought, I finally decided to pick up the drawing pencil and give it a go... But first we need to address why this is necessary...

Now a phrase that has been brought up is "evolutionary, not revolutionary." While that sounds nice and dandy, we are talking about the worst organization in professional sports. A team that did not win a single game last year. Not one game.

When someone brings up the term "evolution", they usually mean "a change following a continuing trend". In fact, one of the dictionary.com's definitions of "evolution" is: "a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development..." So that brings up the question: "So what in the world is this franchise going to evolve into?"

What's the answer? An arena football team? Why in the world would we as Lions fans want this trend to continue?

A REVOLUTION is exactly what the Lions need. To completely change course. To do a 180°. To turn from losing and look to winning.

Now that we know why this is necessary, we need to realize that change is never easy. When the Buccaneers rebranded 10 years ago, there were alot of fans who didn't want to let go of Bucco Bruce. Same thing with the Denver Broncos. However, looking back, we now realize that it was for the best (or at least most of us do :p )

So what do Lions fans need to let go of? Bubbles. The symbol of 50 years of losing. Sure Bubbles is a nice logo. But Bubbles was also designed almost a half century years ago. Even half the people who look at it can't even tell the shape of the lion because of its major flaws (from purely a design standpoint.) It has symbolized poor management, underperforming teams, and even a death on the field. It is practically begging to be put down...

There you go... put Bubbles down nice and slowly... There! Was that so hard?

Now let me introduce you to the new mark of the Detroit Lions. A mark that will represent change. A mark that will represent the new dawn. A mark that will represent REVOLUTION.

Detroit_Lions_Logos.png

Together, Andy and I have put together the ultimate identity package for the Lions.

The first bit of business was to ditch any black. Instead, the black was replaced by gunmetal silver. We also richened the traditional honolulu blue to more of it's original state...

The primary logo is the product of studying several modern lion logos. You name a logo that contains a logo, it was probably searched and studied. Structure, facial postioning and expressions, highlights, everything, was carefully crafted.

The wordmark features a Verlander-esk update. (FYI, see Bengals, Texans
, Cardinals... and Verlander is graphic designer behind all their logos...) Circus points were incorporated into the letters, a specific reference to the era of the greatest running back in NFL history, Barry Sanders.

Now onto the uniforms.
Detroit_Lions_Home_Road.png

Detroit_Lions_Alternate.png

We have made several changes to the uniforms. First off, the big, ugly sleeve stripes are gone. They just cannot be saved in today's NFL. They big, bulky, and look awful.

The second change was to eliminate the helmet stripes. Why? Because of the new waves of helmets entering the game. Each new helmet is safer for the players, but they often have a ton of funky curves and edges that take it's toll on the helmet stripes. And while there hasn't been a helmet that has completely messed up with helmet stripes yet, there could very well be one in the near future... (Side reason for no helmet stripes... I like helmets without stripes. ^_^ )

The third change was to silver numbers on the home uniform. With the changes we made to the honolulu blue, there is now enough contrast between the two to allow a switch.

The fourth change is the striping, especially on the pants. While asymetrical designs are sometimes frowned upon, I think that if done correctly, they can be brilliant looking. So in this case, we have straight stripes (not curved or tailored) that match the striping on the sleeve cuffs and the socks, that brings the whole uniform into glorious unity and provides for one sleek look.

Fifth, the nameplate. We decided to go with a different choice than normal athletic block. This gives the uniform a little bit more of a modern feel and adds to the flow of the uniform as a whole.

Lastly, we brought back the honolulu pants with the away jersey. These are not meant to be used all the time, just on special occasions. And yes, there will be special occasions under this new identity.

And finally, the field.
FordField.jpg

We brought back the honolulu blue endzones. Other than that, nothing was really changed.

Here's an in-game mock up of Ford Field:
FordFieldMockUp.jpg

And that's about it... what do you think? Be honest, I can take it...

~Matt

From that post

A REVOLUTION is exactly what the Lions need. To completely change course. To do a 180°. To turn from losing and look to winning.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffffffft..

t.

Number of Denver Broncos wins since 1997 -123 including playoffs and two Superbowls.

Number of Denver Broncos wins since 1997 if they had been wearing the snorty horse - 123 including playoffs and two Superbowls.

:rolleyes:

And I'm not even going to touch the "Barry Sanders-Greatest RB of all time" comment.
Who do you reckon 'obviously' deserves it over him if Sanders don't? Not saying you aren't allowed a different opinion, but if you think its that obvious (As yo posts suggests) I'm simply interested in knowing :p

A lot of work gone in to that design implementation by Matt Zeeley - is it just a piece of fan work, or an actual tender for the job?

I like it :thumbsu:

Who do you reckon 'obviously' deserves it over him if Sanders don't? Not saying you aren't allowed a different opinion, but if you think its that obvious (As yo posts suggests) I'm simply interested in knowing :p

Fair enough that you'd ask too, :thumbsu:

The reason I'd put Sanders behind (and a long way behind) people like Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Jim Brown... is that sure he could pull off the highlight reel runs and had incredible averages and total yardage stats, but when it came down to converting a third and short to a first, or even just getting a consistent 4-5 yards on first down, he often got caught behind the LOS. I can't recall where I saw it but he had an incredible number of times in his career where he was tackled for a loss. Obviously this is offset by the numerous 40+ runs he had, but I'd rather have a RB (like Payton or Smith) who could keep a drive alive or put the team in a good position on 2nd down, than coming out of 2nd and 11/12. I reckon even Tomlinson was a better RB in his prime.

In summary, Sanders= flashy, explosive and at times brilliant, but not consistent enough when you broke it down to play by play.

Fair enough... Though the Detroit Lions had one of the worst ever blocking brigades for a number one RB that I have ever seen in my time... I don't mean bad, I mean downright atrocious. A great RB, as Sanders is, doesn't just make up all his yards from 'flash'. As a RB, he has nearly broken all the records for his time playing, but he is also the RB that has lost the most yards from scrimmage ever in the history of the NFL. That doesn't fall on the RB... That sort of consistent loss has to do with how bad the line is in front of him.

If Sanders had run behind Emmitt Smith's line, for example, there would be little doubt in my mind that he would have destroyed most RB records.

I just think you are being overly harsh on a player who was great on an atrocious team.

BTW, Sanders first down percentage (IE percentage of runs that were first downs) was 22.5% or thereabouts (Over the years they recorded this stat). Smiths was at 22.3%.

49ers to get new unis. Let's hope they stick with something traditional.

http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=426

oh noes it's gonna be a dramatic change. either that or they're going back to their 80's uniforms....which i highly doubt. it's gonna be kinda like the cardinals/falcons imo, with like a thin gold trim around the shoulders and down the sides with some black, like maybe the side panel under the arms or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back