Portfolio New Nickname - New Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1100061

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
ItQf8h3mH0ecLXUw-xj6ovXODW8=.gif

The 7AFL social media account posted an image of a Crows player with the headline "CAN THE CROM MAKE THE FINALS?"
This is not how it started actually, a fair few years back an old woman posted a message in a Crows fan group on facebook and she accidentally wrote "go crom instead of "go Crows" and the AFL Shitposting facebook group latched on to it because it was kinda funny and now finally the social media pages of the ABC, 7, etc. have hopped onto the trend.
Impending unfunny and death of the joke is soon now.

This is not how it started actually, a fair few years back an old woman posted a message in a Crows fan group on facebook and she accidentally wrote "go crom instead of "go Crows" and the AFL Shitposting facebook group latched on to it because it was kinda funny and now finally the social media pages of the ABC, 7, etc. have hopped onto the trend.
Impending unfunny and death of the joke is soon now.

Pretty much but you've missed a few steps there. The old woman misspelling is correct - it happened on the Adelaide Crows Pride forum (I think its on Facebook?). Its been an in joke there for years now. People from the forums also started using the term on other social media platforms spreading its usage and then its really gone mainstream lately because the folks who run the page got "Go Crom" beanies made up to sell and raise money for MND. This has all helped it to be picked up and used by media outlets.

When I first saw it, I thought it was just some Crows fans trying to come up with their own version of the "Pear" thing that Port fans have adopted. I know others have thought the same initially and I think it was a fair assumption for those not in the know. On twitter at least, its become quite divisive. Some people love it, many people hate it. I think the uncertainty around its origins has played a big role in that. Making it worse, when people heard it and would ask about it, the people who knew the origins would try and keep it secret. s**t like "You either know the Crom or you don't", that kind of thing. It put the outsiders off big time and has created a fair bit of animosity surrounding it.

Personally, I think its dumb, not funny, and hope it goes away soon. I applaud the guys who have made the beanies up, they've done a great thing and raised a good chunk of dough for MND. But the actual term itself is s**t and I really don't want it to stick. I know a couple of players and even the club itself have acknowledged and used the term already, but hopefully they can see that its not universally accepted and don't try to really push it.

Pretty much but you've missed a few steps there. The old woman misspelling is correct - it happened on the Adelaide Crows Pride forum (I think its on Facebook?). Its been an in joke there for years now. People from the forums also started using the term on other social media platforms spreading its usage and then its really gone mainstream lately because the folks who run the page got "Go Crom" beanies made up to sell and raise money for MND. This has all helped it to be picked up and used by media outlets.

When I first saw it, I thought it was just some Crows fans trying to come up with their own version of the "Pear" thing that Port fans have adopted. I know others have thought the same initially and I think it was a fair assumption for those not in the know. On twitter at least, its become quite divisive. Some people love it, many people hate it. I think the uncertainty around its origins has played a big role in that. Making it worse, when people heard it and would ask about it, the people who knew the origins would try and keep it secret. sh*t like "You either know the Crom or you don't", that kind of thing. It put the outsiders off big time and has created a fair bit of animosity surrounding it.

Personally, I think its dumb, not funny, and hope it goes away soon. I applaud the guys who have made the beanies up, they've done a great thing and raised a good chunk of dough for MND. But the actual term itself is sh*t and I really don't want it to stick. I know a couple of players and even the club itself have acknowledged and used the term already, but hopefully they can see that its not universally accepted and don't try to really push it.
Yeah I forgot the beanie step there, AFLSP (or foopyposting as it is now) is where it definitely became known by fans of clubs other than Adelaide. I can see what you mean about the similarities to the pear thing, I actually thought it was meant to be a funny misspelling in the same vein as the stonks meme (pictured below for those not in the know)
1618144925938.png
It's all a bit of fun I guess, definitely understand why you wouldn't like it though, it'd probably get old quickly for me if people referred to Port as Porp for some reason (whereas Ports has history and Pear was coined by the players)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I forgot the beanie step there, AFLSP (or foopyposting as it is now) is where it definitely became known by fans of clubs other than Adelaide. I can see what you mean about the similarities to the pear thing, I actually thought it was meant to be a funny misspelling in the same vein as the stonks meme (pictured below for those not in the know)
View attachment 1100220
It's all a bit of fun I guess, definitely understand why you wouldn't like it though, it'd probably get old quickly for me if people referred to Port as Porp for some reason (whereas Ports has history and Pear was coined by the players)
Ah but is the stonks meme actually funny

I'm not sure Pear was exactly coined by the players. Its just a play on the mispronunciation of Power by, uh... "working class" Port fans, which had regularly been used as an insult by opposition fans for years. It might have been the players who drove the adoption and embracement though.

I'm not sure Pear was exactly coined by the players. Its just a play on the mispronunciation of Power by, uh... "working class" Port fans, which had regularly been used as an insult by opposition fans for years. It might have been the players who drove the adoption and embracement though.
I thought I remember hearing that the players thought the crowd chanting "POWER... POWER..." at AO sounded like they were saying "PEEAAAAR... PEEAAAAR..." however I like Port reclaiming it as a term of endearment for the fans, much like the prison bars have been.

The only time I ever went to a footy game in Adelaide there was this guy in front of me yelling 'ADERRAID' and 'DANGER ON THE FIEEELD' then he got into a fight with his missus cos he drank her woodstock and she was crying.

There was also this old guy nearby that called Alwyn Davey something very racist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back