New Old Hamilton Football Club team photos available for history websites

Remove this Banner Ad

The Blueseum

History of the Carlton Football Club
Jul 26, 2007
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
As you all know country footy team photos are a great source of headshots for VFL/AFL players. In the search for missing players for Carlton I have been lucky enough to source some material about the Hamilton Football Club. I will post the team photos up here as I scan them. Hopefully there are some players amongst this lot who will help the research for your particular club.

First up is the Hamilton Football Club 1959 premiership team.

I have attached the high res version of this picture for anyone that would like to use it.

1959 Hamilton Football Club.jpg

Will keep this thread updated as I do the scans.

Last edited:
As you all know country footy team photos are a great source of headshots for VFL/AFL players. In the search for missing players for Carlton I have been lucky enough to source some material about the Hamilton Football Club. I will post the team photos up here as I scan them. Hopefully there are some players amonst this lot who will help the research for your particular club.

First up is the Hamilton Football Club 1959 premiership team.

I have attached the high res version of this picture for anyone that would like to use it.

View attachment 1049982

Will keep this thread updated as I do the scans.
The W. Barham will be Bill Barham, the father of Ricky, Bill and Jamie, all of whom played VFL football.

Ricky Barham | Collingwood Forever (collingwoodfc.com.au)
1612249872996.png

He did try out at Melbourne a few years earlier: Demonwiki | Bill Barham

1981 Hamilton Football Club

Last one, hope this helps someone out there.

Yes, Hamilton won a lot of premierships the same year as Carlton!

1981 Hamilton Football Club.jpg

If you come across Hamilton's 1932 Premiership side, Bill Garvie should be in it. He played a handful of games for Richmond then died in WW2 Service

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you come across Hamilton's 1932 Premiership side, Bill Garvie should be in it. He played a handful of games for Richmond then died in WW2 Service
If you're simply looking for a photo of him there is this from his Army records:
1612321238498.png

I see he played Reserves for Carlton as well: Blueseum - History of the Carlton Football Club | Bill Garvie

From Ancestry:
1612321987378.png

There's a 1931 Hamilton team photo (with W. Garvie in it) here: 11 Jul 1931 - Country Football -- Hamilton defeated Warrnambool at Warrnambool - Trove (nla.gov.au)
1612322574569.png

1612322903967.png

Last edited:
If you're simply looking for a photo of him there is this from his Army records:
View attachment 1050475

I see he played Reserves for Carlton as well: Blueseum - History of the Carlton Football Club | Bill Garvie

From Ancestry:
View attachment 1050483

There's a 1931 Hamilton team photo (with W. Garvie in it) here: 11 Jul 1931 - Country Football -- Hamilton defeated Warrnambool at Warrnambool - Trove (nla.gov.au)
Thanks 35Daicos
I assume, his death at the young age of 33, meant he didnt have any children (as per ancestry), but perhaps had siblings
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 11.31.30 pm.png
And gosh, he's never really receive any major write up by Richmond when Anzac Day / Remembrance Day comes around, so might add that to my list of things to do

Thanks 35Daicos
I assume, his death at the young age of 33, meant he didnt have any children (as per ancestry), but perhaps had siblings
View attachment 1050798
And gosh, he's never really receive any major write up by Richmond when Anzac Day / Remembrance Day comes around, so might add that to my list of things to do
He was married in 1938:
1612356078724.png
He did have a couple of siblings (the same two appear on Vic BDM):
1612356170636.png
I have no idea whether the "Private" means for sure that there was at least one child.

1612357575942.png
These are the only other death notices I can see, so no idea as to why nothing has shown up from his wife/possible children! The Athol would be sister Margaret Athol. I can't see anything on Vic BDM that suggests there were any children from his marriage.

What does seem odd to me is that he was married to a Crawford only a few years earlier (1938 reg.) yet was the son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. Simpson (death notice you posted) not long down the track!! Maybe the newspaper made a mistake with that, but if so, a pretty bad one!!

Bill Garvie - Wikipedia
1612380544451.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back