Teams New Orleans Saints - The Who Dats

Remove this Banner Ad

Now this is funny!

Dallas mascot gets boot from Berger

Saints punter/kicker, 'Rowdy' involved in pregame run-in

Thursday, December 16, 2004
By Brian Allee-Walsh
Staff writer

The Dallas Cowboys' mascot could have been flagged for running into the kicker before Sunday's game against the Saints at Texas Stadium.

Saints punter/kicker Mitch Berger said the Cowboys' mascot known as "Rowdy" knocked him to the ground while trying to block a kickoff during pregame warmups.

Berger said he landed awkwardly on the mascot, then lit into him as head referee Tony Corrente looked on in disbelief.

"I was practicing my kickoffs, and the big mascot dove in front of me to block the ball, and he took my knees out," said Berger, who was selected NFC Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance against the Cowboys. "He could have blown my knee out. I started smacking the guy in the head and screaming at him. I yelled a few expletives at him, and he's screaming back at me under his (costume).

"I tried to rip his head off and throw it but I couldn't get it off. The referee saw it all, but what's he going to do, throw a flag?"

Moments later, Berger shanked the opening kickoff out of bounds, giving the Cowboys good field position at their 40-yard line.

"I hadn't kicked a ball out of bounds in two years," Berger said. "I'm not making excuses. That wasn't his fault. I should have composed myself, but it was crazy. It's really funny as hell when you think about it -- here I am beating up this mascot before the game -- but he could have injured me."

Saints players and coaches erupted in laughter as the incident unfolded in front of them.

"I saw it, and I couldn't help but laugh," Saints snapper Kevin Houser said. "I was laughing all the way through the national anthem. I had the church giggles."

The Cowboys' mascot, Ted Ovletrea, did not return calls to his Dallas office and cell phone.

"I didn't see it, but I heard about it on talk radio here in Dallas. Was it a 5-yard penalty for running into the kicker or a 15-yard penalty for roughing the kicker?" quipped Cowboys director of public relations Rich Dalrymple.

CraigRowdyMakeup.jpg

Cowboy fans obviously love this guy :D

http://www.removerowdy.com/

Re: Now this is funny!

I guess most good corners in the league are having trouble with the "shutdown" bit this year. The pass interference interpretations are making life tough. Newman isn't a bad corner, but I thought he'd struggle against Joe.

People underrate Horn because he plays in NO. He'll go to the pro-bowl again this year and will finish high up in all the receiver rankings. What people don't take into account with Joe, is his ability to beat corners late in a game. That's why I said if Dallas don't put the Saints away early they will struggle to contain them. His second half performances over the last two seasons have been phenominal. His numbers this year are amazing considering the Saints lack a decent running game this year, but I guess Dallas helped us out with getting that one back on track too. :)

I actually don't think the Dallas defence is too bad. They suffer the same problem as the NO defence though and that's an offence that turns the ball over too quickly and doesn't control the clock. You can't keep coming up with the plays if your offence keeps you on the field.

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys,Notre Dame

You may be right JD but in Newmans case he just gets burnt off too easy and when he has to tackle he makes weak attempts to bring his man down.

It seems so long ago now when Deion Sanders and and Kevin Smith used to give us 2 quality corners. Now we dont even have one and its killing us as teams can throw down the field with confidence as we just dont have the speed on defense.

I reckon most teams struggle for decent CB's atm. Partly due to the rule changes, which has made some of the most effective corners the least effective, but also due to the cap pressure having two top-notch corners these days.

But I guess it's just one of many areas the Cowboys are lacking.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

I thought Newman was quite good last year. Yeah the rule changes have changed a lot of things. No such thing as a shutdown corner anymore really. Its the team's passrush that makes your corners look good. Its now not possible to stay with a good receiver for more than 4-5 seconds. If QBs have all the time in the world then 5 Champ Baileys aren't going to help you.

Re: Strong Pass Rush + quality CB's = decent D

coasting said:
I thought Newman was quite good last year. Yeah the rule changes have changed a lot of things. No such thing as a shutdown corner anymore really. Its the team's passrush that makes your corners look good. Its now not possible to stay with a good receiver for more than 4-5 seconds. If QBs have all the time in the world then 5 Champ Baileys aren't going to help you.

Yup, no doubt Coasting. I still think this weekend's Baltimore (play-off hopes hanging by a thread for a change) vs Indy is as good situation you can imagine for Peyton to be tested good and proper. Boller is showing some poise and with Heap a big target...could this game be a shoot out or a slug fest ??

Mouth watering contest.

Dasher39

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal
Atlanta vs New Orleans

JeffDunne and I have already started discussing this is other topics, so to save confusion I have started a new thread for this game alone! So it gets the big build up it deserves ;)

I'll be interested to see how you contain Vick, as was witnessed yesterday some of our guys can be pushed around a bit too easily and Vick was hit hard on many occasions! Vick only needs about 80 yards rushing to become the #1 QB for rushing in a single season! And about 120 yards to break the 100 mark! We all know what he is capable of, so both marks could quite easily be achieved in this one game!

As for our defence...we wont be resting anyone ;) ;)

They might not be big, but they sure are quick, so you will need to give your QB plenty of protection otherwise our defence will be all over him!

May the better team win!

Re: Atlanta vs New Orleans

I warned you a few weeks ago Dasher that the Saints match up well on the Falcons. We have the defensive ends to conain Vick in the pocket.

But you've got me worried now as the minute you talk up the Saints they self-destruct. But we have a new found defensive structure that's working better and much more aggressive. Vick won't want to get hurt so I'd expect he tries to get the throwing game going. It could use a little practice. Crumpler is the worry for NO, as TE's are making a habit of tearing up our D.

Why will the Saints win? The football gods are smiling on us for once - and Micheal won't want to get hurt.

Dasher39

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal

JeffDunne said:
I warned you a few weeks ago Dasher that the Saints match up well on the Falcons. We have the defensive ends to conain Vick in the pocket.

But you've got me worried now as the minute you talk up the Saints they self-destruct. But we have a new found defensive structure that's working better and much more aggressive. Vick won't want to get hurt so I'd expect he tries to get the throwing game going. It could use a little practice. Crumpler is the worry for NO, as TE's are making a habit of tearing up our D.

Why will the Saints win? The football gods are smiling on us for once - and Micheal won't want to get hurt.

We have to work really hard on getting Vick OUT of the pocket. It showed yesterday then when he was contained in the pocket, he was limited with what he could do, so we have to do a lot of work on that this week!

Your right in saying Vick wont want to get hurt, Mora wont want him to get hurt and us Falcons fans sure as hell dont want him getting hurt. But I think the moment you tell Vick to "do this rather than this" your asking for trouble. Vick is at his best when he is doing what he does best...running! No doubt his passing game needs some work, but I cant see him limiting himself just to save himself from the possibility he might get injured!

This could quite easily be a battle of the defences, you mention the new found strength of the NO D, but the Falcons defence has been awesome all year (except for that KC game!) and have really held strong. Kerney, Brookins and Co. have done an amazing job.

Im looking forward to the battle!

Why will the Falcons win: We have Vick!! :p

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Who will be the winner?

Football will be the winner

Why? Because they are two outstanding teams with classy supporters who will fill the dome and put on a spectacle rarely seen in the modern game. It will be one for the ages this game and personally i won't be able to sleep all week in anticipation to this mammoth clash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL marcuz, very good.
smilielol.gif

Still bitter about last week? And worse for the Cowboys, with so many teams on 5-9, you might even fluke a win and finish in the top 8 of the conference.

Ah . . . now I see why Parcells keeps playing Vinny.
9.gif

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

JeffDunne said:
LOL marcuz, very good.
smilielol.gif

Still bitter about last week? And worse for the Cowboys, with so many teams on 5-9, you might even fluke a win and finish in the top 8 of the conference.

Ah . . . now I see why Parcells keeps playing Vinny.
9.gif

Bring on the draft i say...now i feel like a stkilda fan :D

Have a feeling you might be saying that come September next year too.

At least console yourself in that you're helping shape the playoffs. Rolling over to the Saints, that was nice, but beating up on TO, that was just gold. :D

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

JeffDunne said:
Have a feeling you might be saying that come September next year too.

At least console yourself in that you're helping shape the playoffs. Rolling over to the Saints, that was nice, but beating up on TO, that was just gold. :D

The lesson is to stay away from number 31....it was a harmless pull down from behind and he still can hurt you.

I had to laugh at the boys on NFL primetime pointing out how the eagles recievers were hearing footsteps whenever Roy was around.

Dasher, it would appear the word is out that Atlanta are going to bench some starters next week.

Rumors, rumors, rumors . . .

The word is that Vick will take only half the snaps in this game. Also, Dunn could be benched for most of the game. Need to get some playing time into the backups.

Sound suss?? The bookies seem to be onto it.

Interesting that the Saints a week ago, were $401 for the superbowl. Now, we face a Falcons team that doesn't want to get hurt, and the Panthers in what could be the decider in the final game.

Ok, marcuz, you might laugh, but NO has as many offensive weapons as anyteam in the NFC. Anyone could win the NFC this year. Now if the defence plays the way it has the past fornight . . . ok, now I'm getting carried away. :)

Dasher39

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal

JeffDunne said:
Dasher, it would appear the word is out that Atlanta are going to bench some starters next week.

Rumors, rumors, rumors . . .

The word is that Vick will take only half the snaps in this game. Also, Dunn could be benched for most of the game. Need to get some playing time into the backups.

Yeah, I was reading the Atlanta Falcons Official Messageboard, and most of the people over there are wanting the regulars to only play half a game so sa to keep them match fit, but also to minimize the risk of the injury. Their reasoning is that we cant improve our Playoff position and we cant go backward either, so why risk a serious injury for the sake of a win!

Now...I agree with that in part. I wouldnt want Vick, Dunn, Duckett etc to go down with a serious injury, but you play Football to win and thats what you gotta try and do. We dont want to go into the Playoffs with 2 losses and a week off behind us because then we will have lost momentum and confidence!

I think there is a pretty strong chance that Vick, Dunn, Duckett and maybe Price (but he needs all the game time he can get at the moment) will only play half a game and then be rested! It's almost a case of damned if we do and damned if we dont. If we rest Vick and Co and lose people will be asking questions, if we play them and they get injured they will want heads on a chopping block!

But you never know what your back ups are capable of. Just look at Delhomme, he was just the back up QB at the start of last year and then led them to the SuperBowl!

While I would expect a full strength NO to beat us if we adopted this strategy, you just never know what can happen in a game of Football!!

And Crumpler.....F*&# IT!! That's a massive blow...last week Duckett, this week Crumpler, and also Vick's favourite receiver!! Price, Dez White will have to stand up this week, Price in particular who has done nothing all year. Dez White showed glimpses last week of what he can do...especially on that last play ;)

Two things I reckon would come into Atlanta's thinking.

Firstly, New Orleans defense has been shocking all year. Backups have regularly run for 100+ yards, some in the last quarter alone. You can probably get away with giving a backup plenty of game time and still win the game.

The other thing they'd be thinking, is New Orleans are going to be aggressive and overly concentrate on the run, giving the Falcons a perfect opportunity to establish a more effective passing game. Vick has shown he passes best out of the pocket, but teams are prepared for that, so you can't expect him to play that way and then not run the ball. The Carolina game showed that. It was when Vick was prepared to run up the centre that Falcons offense looked dangerous. Add to that Crumpler missing, who is the most effective receiver for Vicks style of QB, and you can see why they may want to bench Vick.

Time to give the boy Schaub some playing time IMO and show what he can do with that arm. Vick plays a high risk style for a QB, so you really don't want to be exposing a rookie for the first time in the playoffs if Vick takes a big hit. And trust me, in the playoffs he will. Schaub has some fantastic passing stats in his resume and could be the guy to get some receptions into the WR's.

Dasher39

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal

JeffDunne said:
Two things I reckon would come into Atlanta's thinking.

Firstly, New Orleans defense has been shocking all year. Backups have regularly run for 100+ yards, some in the last quarter alone. You can probably get away with giving a backup plenty of game time and still win the game.

I sure hope that is the case, Dunn showed Sunday how dangerous he can be, so even a half out of him could set up something great! There is no doubt though, that we have to give game time to our back ups in preparation for the Playoffs

JeffDunne said:
The other thing they'd be thinking, is New Orleans are going to be aggressive and overly concentrate on the run, giving the Falcons a perfect opportunity to establish a more effective passing game. Vick has shown he passes best out of the pocket, but teams are prepared for that, so you can't expect him to play that way and then not run the ball. The Carolina game showed that. It was when Vick was prepared to run up the centre that Falcons offense looked dangerous. Add to that Crumpler missing, who is the most effective receiver for Vicks style of QB, and you can see why they may want to bench Vick.

Time to give the boy Schaub some playing time IMO and show what he can do with that arm. Vick plays a high risk style for a QB, so you really don't want to be exposing a rookie for the first time in the playoffs if Vick takes a big hit. And trust me, in the playoffs he will. Schaub has some fantastic passing stats in his resume and could be the guy to get some receptions into the WR's.

To be honest, I didnt even know who our back up QB was...guess I should do some more research. But as you rightly point out, this is an opportunity to get our passing game going. This might also be the chance for Peerless Price to do something. There are rumours about his relationship with Vick and whether they see eye to eye off the field. Price has had a poor season so far, and with a new QB and more emphasis on passing to the WR this could be a chance for Price to show what he has got, cos let me tell you he is copping a pounding from the Falcons fans and from the press (there was an article on espn.com)

It will be interesting to see what plays out!!

Good news for DirtyBird and Saints fans, the game is on Fox this week.

27th Dec. 4.00AM Live: NFL on FOX Atlanta @ New Orleans - Fox Sports 2
(3:00am for my Queensland friends)

Followed by @ 7.00AM Live: NFL on FOX Arizona @ Seattle

On paper crappy games, but since the NFC Wildcard chase resembles a Greek tragedy, it should be entertaining.

Dasher39

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal

Thats fantastic news regarding Fox Sports showing the game!! I'll be up bright and early in Adelaide watching it...wake up a few of my brother's neighbours!!

Dasher39

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2003
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
MVFC, Storm, Arsenal

Well the better team on the day won the game!!

I havent seen any NO games this season, so I dont know how that performance ranks, but IMO they certainly played very well. Brooks, Smith, Duece all played very well and Atlanta never really looked in it. Just goes to show what a big difference Vick makes. In his first game Schaub did an OK job, but some of his passes were just down right pathetic. On at least 3 occasions I remember him passing to Peerless Price in a 4-1 situation...HOW THE HELL IS HE SUPPOSED TO CATCH IT!! 4-1 and he throws to him, hopefully thats only a rookie mistake. Having said that, our receivers didnt exactly set the world on fire! Easy catches dropped on too many occasions, and Price dropped one in the end zone which he should have kept a hold of!

Again Warrick Dunn put in a great effort, 2 great runs one resulting in a TD! I will say on his big 59 yard run, he did a great effort, but when he got to the 10 yard line, where was the blocking...Price didnt even seem to try and block the NO defender and we squandered a chance to get back in the game!

It may sound like i'm making excuses, but thats not the case, just a few points from the game that we need to improve! NO were by far the better team on the day and deserved the win!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back