Teams New Orleans Saints - The Who Dats

LeCharles Bentley - bad man & NO rolecall

From here

"When you take a man, a grown man, put your hands in the middle of his chest and bend him back to a point that you hear him scream, when he starts screaming like a little girl, you put his head in the dirt. And then you look up and you see Deuce, all you see is McALLISTER 26, stiff-arming somebody 20 yards down the field and breaking a 40-yard run and scoring. Then you get up and you just look at (the blocked defender), and you know damn well when he gets to the sideline, he's getting cussed out. And you know his mama, his wife and his kids were watching him on that play, and you just manhandled him. That's the best feeling."

Love that quote, a little Mike Tysonish perhaps?
Was wondering just how many Saints fans are on here, know there's a few - anyone who's been hiding, now's the time to come out of the woodwork.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Adrian McPherson

Apparently he is already showing a better mastery of the Saints offense than starter Aaron Brooks.

rumorm11.jpg

Re: Adrian McPherson

Meh .... Testavarde and McNabb did the same thing last year, as did a rookie John Elway. The guard would be wondering what the hell was happening though - lined up ready to block, what are those hands doing between my legs? The tackle looks like he enjoyed it. :D

Re: LeCharles Bentley - bad man & NO rolecall

Love the avatar NDG.

Looks like there's just you me on this one (although I now there's others around here).

Big preseason game for the Saints about to start. While still a preseason game, it's against a respected opposition and with national exposure and is exactly the type of game we've been embarrassed in the past. The defence really needs to show us something and keep the game tight. The Saints more than any other team need to get some momentum happening early and getting the playmakers up and confident.

Other than Duece and Joe Horn, I’d be giving a solid workout to all of the starters,

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
Saints done in New Orleans

San Antonio is team's likely home next season

ESPN.com news services

Saints owner Tom Benson declared this week that nothing will be decided on the franchise's future until after the season. But ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that, based on information from key league sources, the team has probably played its last game in New Orleans.

According to Mortensen, San Antonio is a likely home for 2006 and Los Angeles is the preferred destination beyond that. The NFL could still include New Orleans as a Super Bowl site when the city is reconstructed, and expansion might even be a possibility, but that's 10 to 15 years away.

If the Saints relocate to San Antonio or elsewhere, New Orleans has only a slim chance of ever seeing another NFL team, according to a major sports consultant.

Marc Ganis of SportsCorp Ltd. in Chicago served as a consultant to Cleveland in 1996 when that city's NFL team moved to Baltimore and the NFL guaranteed Cleveland a new team and allowed the city to keep the Browns' logos, colors and nickname.

Earlier this week, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin said he wanted the "Cleveland deal" if the team relocates. Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she supported Nagin on such a plan.

But Ganis questioned the strategy.

"If I were advising Mayor Nagin, I would have given him the same advice that someone should have given the mayors of Baltimore and Houston," Ganis said. "Hold on to what you have. Do everything you have to hold on to what you've got, because there's no certainty to what will come next or what will come at all."

Houston lost the Oilers to Tennessee and later got the expansion Texans.

Ganis said New Orleans is already viewed as a small market struggling to remain financially competitive -- and most NFL owners oppose expanding beyond the present 32 teams.

Cleveland provided stout support for its new team with corporate dollars and businesses that generated tax money to build a new stadium, Ganis said.

"It's not the people," Ganis said of New Orleans' situation. "It's not the individuals who show up at the game and buy the tickets. The people are great. It's the business, or lack of, that's the primary factor. For whatever reason, the area simply does not have many strong and large businesses."

But Ganis and two other sports consultants said the issue includes a wild card -- compassion for a city devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

"When it's all said and done, the whole situation boils down to one thing -- how do these 32 owners feel about resolving New Orleans while protecting their franchise value?" said David Carter, a sports consultant in Los Angeles.

Dean Bonham, a sports consultant based in Denver, questioned whether the NFL would support a move to San Antonio, which like New Orleans is considered a small market, or whether the NFL could strike a deal to build or renovate a stadium equipped for a team in Los Angeles.

If neither San Antonio nor Los Angeles is adequately prepared to support an NFL team, Bonham said the Saints will likely remain in New Orleans.

"I would have to say the chances are 50-50 or less that you'll see the New Orleans Saints move from one city to another at this point," Bonham said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys,Notre Dame
Re: Saints done in New Orleans

I feel for the saints fans especially the majority of those that are in NO. They are already on their knees now they are about to cop a kick to the nuts. A team in LA will definately happen with the city throwing a ********load of money to any owner that wants to relocate.

Re: Saints done in New Orleans

Alberton_Magpie said:
They have a pathetic logo and nickname any way!
LOL @ "Giants" fan . . . all the funnier when you support the "Power" too! :D

As for this thread, the Saints are far from done in New Orleans. Amongst other things, Terry Bradshaw is a heading a group proposing to buy the Saints (and they seem pretty credible). The NFL also seem pretty keen to keep the Saints in New Orleans and want to be seen as part of the rebuilding effort. Now all people need to do is convince the current owner (or force him to sell).

If the Chargers don't get their new stadium deal, they appear the most likely candidate for LA.

Oct 12, 2003
Drowning my sorrows on the end of some bar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, Green Bay
Bush to wear 25

nfl_g_bush_195

Reggie Bush will get to wear No. 5 after all. There will just be a "2" in front of it.

Bush's marketing agent, Mike Ornstein, told ESPN.com on Thursday that his client will wear No. 25 next season for the New Orleans Saints.

Bush will get the number from Saints running back Fred McAfee. Ornstein said that rather than directly pay McAfee a fee for the use of the number, Bush will give half the money he had earmarked for charity to McAfee to use for the charity of his choice. Bush has pledged to donate 25 percent of his jersey sales royalties to Hurricane Katrina-related causes.

"We all went and dug into our pockets, and the city is as devastated today as the day it happened," Ornstein said. "And now, everyone has gone on to the next disaster."

To get No. 5, which he wore in high school and college, Bush needed the NFL Competition Committee to change the league's numbering rules. Currently, running backs are allowed only to wear numbers between 20 and 49. Earlier this week, the committee decided not to change the rules.

"Hopefully, they will change the rules next year so that Reggie can go back to wearing his old number," Ornstein said.

The delay of the decision might have hurt sales of Bush jerseys in the weeks since he was chosen second overall in the NFL draft. Eddie White, a vice president at Reebok, which makes the league's jerseys, said Bush's jersey had ranked first in preorders but is now in second place behind Vince Young's No. 10 for the Tennessee Titans. Young, who wore No. 10 at the University of Texas, has had that number with the Titans since draft day.

"It was a bunch of baloney that not having the No. 5 would hurt his sales," White said. "He could have worn any number, as long as we could have sold it that [draft day] Sunday, like we did for Vince Young and A.J. Hawk and Matt Leinart. But because he didn't have anything, he's behind Vince."

Oct 12, 2003
Drowning my sorrows on the end of some bar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, Green Bay
Re: Bush to wear 25

JeffDunne said:
Since 25 is my "lucky" number then I should be happy.

I doubt there was ever any chance of him getting to wear #5 but it would have been nice if he could have.

I was laghing so hard when i saw it. I thought of u staright away

Its a great decision i think. If it had been changed there would have been a huge uproar. I remember when the Edge came into the NFL he wanted to wear a lower nuber but was unable to, so he was stuck with 32.

FWIW Bush should have taken 21. LT was number 5 in college and took number 21 in the pros, i think Bush should have done the same.

DaSawx said:
It worked for Kordell Stewart at WR when he was young, he even had a headpeace in his helmet while playing WR

That #10 Steeler MAGIC will be re-born with Santonio HOLMES (WR) giving BIG BEN every chance to silence his doubters with 'numbers' (are you listening Coasting?) and perhaps more jewellery;) . I'm happy for the people of New Orleans & JD can move on to better things now. :thumbsu:

Mar 25, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic,Chelsea,Notre Dame

He never had a chance , Seahawks promised Bosworth back in the 80's he could wear his college number ie 44 , but NFL took about 10 seconds to hit that on the head and their intention to list him as a safety but play at inside backer . Had to wear 55 in short pro career .

ALwaysNorth said:
He never had a chance , Seahawks promised Bosworth back in the 80's he could wear his college number ie 44 , but NFL took about 10 seconds to hit that on the head and their intention to list him as a safety but play at inside backer . Had to wear 55 in short pro career .

how over hyped was BOZ. sh1t player, sh1t haircut

Mar 25, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtic,Chelsea,Notre Dame

Lenny Briscoe said:
how over hyped was BOZ. sh1t player, sh1t haircut

I'll give you sh1t haircut and bigger sh1t actor but he could play , getting run over by Bo Jackson aside . Injury stopped him proving it in the NFL but he would have been good IMO .

My opinion could be coloured by his jibes at John "Mr Ed" Elway who irked me terribly for some reason .

Bush agrees to six-year deal with Saints

Bush agrees to six-year deal with Saints

The New Orleans Saints and first-round draft choice Reggie Bush agreed to terms late Saturday night on a six-year contract, ESPN.com has learned.

Financial terms of the contract, which will be signed on Sunday, were not yet available. But based on discussions with NFL sources throughout Saturday, as the two sides moved closer to the accord, it appears that Bush's contract will easily exceed the one signed earlier this week by Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young, and will come very close to the deal for top overall pick Mario Williams.

Agent Joel Segal, who hammered out the accord over the last few days, would only confirm late Saturday that he will travel to Jackson, Miss., site of the Saints' training camp at Millsaps College, to meet with New Orleans officials there. He will be joined by Bush, who is flying in from Los Angeles.

It is doubtful that, given the travel involved and the time that it will take for all the parties to review what is expected to be a very lengthy contract document, Bush will practice on Sunday.

For a while on Saturday night, it appeared that an agreement would not come until Sunday, as the two sides approached a deal, but still had to pore over a substantial amount of complicated data. But Segal and Saints negotiator Russ Ball forged ahead and came to an agreement at about 10:30 p.m. ET.

It is not known how much impetus was provided by the contract to which Young, the third overall selection in the draft, agreed this week. Young received $25.74 million in guarantees from the Titans, slightly less than the $26.5 million in bonuses that the Houston Texans awarded Williams.

Re: Bush agrees to six-year deal with Saints

This was the most over blown late signing ever. Everyone in the media here acted like the guy was holding out on the city and was being mean toward the people that suffered through the hurricane, like he was personally responsible for Katrina and the recovery of the city...

Do they think anyone else taking a job in N.O. this month is taking less money because of guilt over a hurricane last year. Please....

Re: Bush agrees to six-year deal with Saints

Woodson said:
What I'd like to know is what BF's #1 Saints fan thinks of this??? (let us hear you JD)
I'm still smiling Woodson if that's any indication - and after watching his 44 yd carry last week I'm smiling even more.

Probably the most important signing in franchise history is how I'd describe it. Reggie brings more than talent to the Saints, he brings a national exposure the team has never had (except of course the events around the Superdome last year). Season ticket and merchandise sales are booming, the interest in the first home game against the Falcons is unprecendented for a game in New Orleans, all on the back of Reggie signing. He has been a blessing to a team that seriously needed one.

Offensively we are looking good; Brees @ QB (with Martin a servicable backup); Bush, a fit McAllister and Karney in the backfield; Horn, Henderson and Stallworth as the three main receivers (although don't be surprised if Donte is traded); and Conwell and hopefully Hilton as solid prospects at TE with a QB that likes throwing to TE's. The line is still a worry although I prefer the inexperience over the deadwood of recent seasons.

Defensively we are looking suss. Plenty of new blood but seriously in need of a MLB. Hopefully the Chargers will deal on Edwards - we are running out of options.

Back