Teams New Orleans Saints - The Who Dats

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Bush agrees to six-year deal with Saints

Vick>Footy said:
You really believe that Bush will be a significant contributer in the 2006 season, much less the first home game? o_O
Yes I do.

JeffDunne said:
I'll be more interested in how Brees handles it marcuz.

Not to good.

Its only pre-season and the longer the season goes the better the chemistry will be between he and his offense. The saints won't have much trouble scoring and they'll need to light it up as your D is a worry. Apart from Smith and Grant that side of the ball lacks some talent.

No defense is fast or agile enough for 'our' Reggie. ;)

Tell that to DeMarcus ware;)

We have one of the better young defenses going around. Keep your eye on safety Pat Watkins, looks to be a steal from this years draft.

The key will be protecting Bledsoe and providing enough running lanes for JJ and Barber. We certainly missed the presence of the human road grader Larry Allen.

marcuz said:
Not to good.

Its only pre-season and the longer the season goes the better the chemistry will be between he and his offense. The saints won't have much trouble scoring and they'll need to light it up as your D is a worry. Apart from Smith and Grant that side of the ball lacks some talent.
The O_Line is still a big problem. When linesman are being pushed (or should that be thrown?) into your face there's not much a QB can do. Actually there is one thing, he can make a bad situation worse, and I guess that's the big difference between Brees and Brooks.

Tell that to DeMarcus ware;)

We have one of the better young defenses going around. Keep your eye on safety Pat Watkins, looks to be a steal from this years draft.
I know - we are trying to dine on your scraps.

We seriously need help with our linebackers, I can live with the D line and the secondary (Harper looks a good pickup) but unless we get some LB help (and I mean A grade help) we will get burnt on a weekly basis.

Vick>Footy said:
You really believe that Bush will be a significant contributer in the 2006 season, much less the first home game? o_O

Barring injury, which is a significant concern, Bush should have a very very good season.

He should see 12-15 carries a game and possibly get around 3-4 receptions a game. The Saints would be foolish not to get the ball into Bush's hands close to 20 times a game.

Lets be conservative:

200 carries @4yp =800 yards

50 receptions @ 10ypr = 500 yards

Between 5-8 TDs.

That's right i'm projecting Bush for 1300 total yards and around 7TDs. I could seriously see him even exceeding those numbers. I'll be VERY surprised if he doesn't amass at least 1000 total yards. The kid aint no ordinary rookie. I realise that Deuce is still there and will get his share of carries, however it usually takes RB's 2 yrs to fully recover from knee injuries, furthermore Bush is unique in that he doesn't have to get the ball 30 times a game to make an impact. He split carries at College level too. Don't forget Marshall Faulks best years was when he was only geting around 225 carries. The take it to the house ability on any given play is what makes Bush special.

For those of you who have forgotten what he's capable of:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUcSn32wSHU&mode=related&search=

For those of you who don't believe he can do those things in the NFL:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zt0cSR-p2yo

While Bush is still the hot topic from the draft his former teammate is making waves down in Arizona.
Matt Leinart tore the Chicago Bears 1st and than 2nd defese to shreads in a terrific showing today. At one point he completed 12 passes in sucsession.

He completed 15/21 for 144 yards and a nice touchdown, along with that he picked up 16 yards on the ground.

footylover18 said:
For those of you who don't believe he can do those things in the NFL

This is ludicrus! Why don't you go ahead and post some footage of him playing Stanford while your at it. Anything he has done up to this point is against 3rd and 4th string defenses.
footylover you of anyone should know that college to pro ball is double the speed, and preseason to regular season is again, double the speed. This guy will be fantastic, so don't get me wrong. But he has done nothing yet but sign a contract.
Anyone who follows the NFL knows how many guys come into this league that are going to be the next Barry Sanders and flop on their face.
I think this guy has that ability, but let us allow him time to proove it to us before we start handing him NFL MVP's prior to him ever receiving a hand off in a regular season game, much less a start.

Not to mention the fact that you guy are highly under estimating Deuce.

Vick>Footy said:
This is ludicrus! Why don't you go ahead and post some footage of him playing Stanford while your at it. Anything he has done up to this point is against 3rd and 4th string defenses.
footylover you of anyone should know that college to pro ball is double the speed, and preseason to regular season is again, double the speed. This guy will be fantastic, so don't get me wrong. But he has done nothing yet but sign a contract.
Anyone who follows the NFL knows how many guys come into this league that are going to be the next Barry Sanders and flop on their face.
I think this guy has that ability, but let us allow him time to proove it to us before we start handing him NFL MVP's prior to him ever receiving a hand off in a regular season game, much less a start.

Not to mention the fact that you guy are highly under estimating Deuce.

I don't agree. Firstly, Bush is playing with the first team and thus is playing against opponent's first string defense. I don't read much into preseason gams at all, all you have to do is look at the studs in preseason thus far and see how little they've done. It happens every yr. People get high on the undrafted rookies who do well in preseason. However it is inaccurate to say that Bush is only playing against the 3rd and 4th string opponents. He's playing with the first and against the first teams. However, my assesment of Bush doesn't come from that one play against a pretty porous Tenn defense.

Yes, the NFL is much different to college and yes the game is faster. However the players that play in the NFL came from college also. It's simply the best of the best from college. Bush's speed is elite, doesn't matter to what level you're comparing it to. It's not just Bush's speed that makes him special though, it's his vision and cutback ability. Lets use that preseason clip as an example. 95% of RBs in the NFL would've continued running into the collapsed Oline on that play, hoping for maybe a 2 yard gain, Maybe a few would've had the vision to cut it to the outside but didn't have the speed to outrun the lateral persuit most likely resulting in no yards or a loss of yards, Bush is in that elite group who posses both the vision and the speed. He's not going to be able to run that play as often he did in college and he will lose a lot of yards trying to make that special play, but don't forget that Barry Sanders holds the record for the most lost yards in NFL history.

You're right that Bush has done little in the NFL thus far. However very few RBs are compared to Faulk, LT, Sanders etc. Bush has that talent level. Go look up the rookie numbers for those guys, you'll be surprised. Every yr there are highly touted rookies coming out of college, Bush isn't just another hyped rookie though. He's a once in a 5 yr talent. Duece will get his carries, but Bush will still touch the ball close to 20 times a game, and that's all he needs to make a BIG impact.

wizard_9 said:
While Bush is still the hot topic from the draft his former teammate is making waves down in Arizona.
Matt Leinart tore the Chicago Bears 1st and than 2nd defese to shreads in a terrific showing today. At one point he completed 12 passes in sucsession.

He completed 15/21 for 144 yards and a nice touchdown, along with that he picked up 16 yards on the ground.

The Cards would do well to be patient with Leinart. Warner will be the starter as long as he's healthy. The best thing for the Cards would be if Warner stayed healthy the whole yr and Leinart was able to learn and observe from the sidelines, then next yr throw him in there. Much like the Bengals did with Kitna and Palmer. In saying that though there is a better chance of Paris Hilton not having sex in front of a camera within the next 15mins than Warner staying healthy for a whole season.

wizard_9 said:
How on earth can you be so negative about this guy, he has done nothing but impress at each and every level he has played at.

Vick>Footy is right to a certain extent. Every yr there are rookies who are projected to dominate at the next level and every yr the majority of them bust. Bush on the other hand is a special talent, the chances of him not doing well in the NFL is very slim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footylover18 said:
However the players that play in the NFL came from college also.

Yes, the pennicle of college. It's not even remotely the same. Bush faced defenses with one, maybe two NFL caliber defenders on a team. Now he is facing defences that are entirely made up of those players. You have to remember that the worst starting player on the worst NFL team is better than 95% of the players in college.

footylover18 said:
Vick>Footy is right to a certain extent. Every yr there are rookies who are projected to dominate at the next level and every yr the majority of them bust. Bush on the other hand is a special talent, the chances of him not doing well in the NFL is very slim.

Name the top 5 running backs in the NFL today and then let me know if they won the Heisman, were on a national championship team, or even a perrenial power. It's really rare.

Now don't misunderstand, Reggie is one of those guys that has the "potential" to be the greatest RB of all-time. He is a guy like Barry Sanders that comes around once or maybe twice in a life time. And I do think he will be good.
The only stick I have up my ass is the same stick I had up my ass about my own beloved Vick.
Before you suck his ****, let him proove that he's well hung.

footylover18 said:
The Cards would do well to be patient with Leinart. Warner will be the starter as long as he's healthy. The best thing for the Cards would be if Warner stayed healthy the whole yr and Leinart was able to learn and observe from the sidelines, then next yr throw him in there. Much like the Bengals did with Kitna and Palmer. In saying that though there is a better chance of Paris Hilton not having sex in front of a camera within the next 15mins than Warner staying healthy for a whole season.

Yeh you ron the money mate, the longer he gets to sit and watch Warner the better for his development. He is extremely lucky to have someone as good and as knowledgable as Kurt to lerarn the trade from.
I'm very very excited about the future down at Cardinals Stadium with so many young players coming through the ranks.
Just on offense we have Boldin, Fitzgerald and Johnson as probably the best set of 3 WR in the league. And to compliment them a young up and coming TE in Pope and the icing on the cake with the EDGE.

wizard_9 said:
Yeh you ron the money mate, the longer he gets to sit and watch Warner the better for his development. He is extremely lucky to have someone as good and as knowledgable as Kurt to lerarn the trade from.
I'm very very excited about the future down at Cardinals Stadium with so many young players coming through the ranks.
Just on offense we have Boldin, Fitzgerald and Johnson as probably the best set of 3 WR in the league. And to compliment them a young up and coming TE in Pope and the icing on the cake with the EDGE.

Leinert will not start unless Warner is injured. You can bank that. Coach was on ESPN's Pardon The Interuption this week. He was asked how much play time he wanted Leinert to get in the regular season and he matter of factly said, "none, we want to see Warner in their the entire season, he is our starter."

Now maybe he just has to say that so that no press is questioning his confidence in his qb. But Green is usually straight forward.

Just on Bush.

Reggie Bush never broke free on a big run as he did in his debut against Tennessee. He spun and danced his way through difficult runs of 14 and 8 yards in the third quarter, but he also lost a fumble on the Colts 27, stopping yet another potential scoring drive. Bush finished with 22 yards rushing on five carries and 20 yards receiving on five catches.

wizard_9 said:
Just on Bush.

Reggie Bush never broke free on a big run as he did in his debut against Tennessee. He spun and danced his way through difficult runs of 14 and 8 yards in the third quarter, but he also lost a fumble on the Colts 27, stopping yet another potential scoring drive. Bush finished with 22 yards rushing on five carries and 20 yards receiving on five catches.

It's going to be extremely difficult for teams to keep Bush out of a game. He's able to get involved in a variety of ways.

JeffDunne said:
Horn, Henderson and Stallworth as the three main receivers (although don't be surprised if Donte is traded)
Eagles make deal for Stallworth

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles today swung a trade with the Saints for former first-round pick Donte Stallworth in exchange for LB Mark Simoneau and a fourth-round pick that can turn to a third rounder if the Eagles can work out an extension with the receiver.

Good trade for both. Saints seriously need help at LB and IMO have got a fair trade for Stallworth.

JeffDunne said:
Eagles make deal for Stallworth

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles today swung a trade with the Saints for former first-round pick Donte Stallworth in exchange for LB Mark Simoneau and a fourth-round pick that can turn to a third rounder if the Eagles can work out an extension with the receiver.

Good trade for both. Saints seriously need help at LB and IMO have got a fair trade for Stallworth.

Will probably mean more playing time at WR for Bush.

statsman74 said:
Will probably mean more playing time at WR for Bush.
Don't think it will make much difference to be honest. Stallworth IMO is seriously over-rated - quick but poor hands. Devery Henderson was pretty serviceable last year and I thought he was every chance to beat Stallworth for the #2 spot. Mike Hass has shown plenty so far since drafting him and may be the one that benefits most from Donte's departure. I don't believe Bush will play much as a WR mainly because our TE's are so poor. If Conwell and Hilton can start to make an impact (the later looking less and less likely) then I could see us using him a lot in this role but atm I think the only time we'll see him as a WR will be in 4 receiver formations. However, I do think he'll catch a lot of passes playing out of the backfield.

JeffDunne said:
Don't think it will make much difference to be honest. Stallworth IMO is seriously over-rated - quick but poor hands. Devery Henderson was pretty serviceable last year and I thought he was every chance to beat Stallworth for the #2 spot. Mike Hass has shown plenty so far since drafting him and may be the one that benefits most from Donte's departure. I don't believe Bush will play much as a WR mainly because our TE's are so poor. If Conwell and Hilton can start to make an impact (the later looking less and less likely) then I could see us using him a lot in this role but atm I think the only time we'll see him as a WR will be in 4 receiver formations. However, I do think he'll catch a lot of passes playing out of the backfield.

Well you want the ball in his hands in a dangerous position as often as possible....duel RB sets with McAllister and Bush split wide would certainly give opposing defenses something to think about.

From Fanball;

Fantasy Analysis: The Eagles had been using undrafted rookie Hank Baskettt alongside top receiver Reggie Brown, but we expect the starting lineup to change as soon as Stallworth picks up the offense. The talented target makes us feel better about McNabb's fantasy value, but Brown will take a small hit now that there's another mouth to feed. Stallworth's value goes up a little bit, but he remains a fourth fantasy receiver in most leagues. This trade could also lead to the release of Todd Pinkston, Jabar Gaffney, or both – news that shouldn't affect fantasy teams but is mildly notable.

Henderson spent some time running with the first team earlier in training camp after Stallworth angered his new coach, struggled to come back from shoulder surgery, and strained to learn the new system. Devery caught 22 balls for 343 yards and three scores last year, and following this trade, the 2004 second-round pick is suddenly on fantasy radars heading into his third year. However, Henderson has only three catches through three preseason games, and he'll need to show us more before we'll spend anything more than a last-round pick in larger fantasy leagues. The Saints passing game may need to rely even more heavily on Joe Horn and Reggie Bush, which should make their fantasy owners happy.

Meh . . . imo won't make any difference. The health of McAllister will determine how much Reggie is used as a receiver more than anything else. Bush will get plenty of catches but imo most won't be from a WR slot.

Henderson & Colston (who I forgot earlier) will be productive this year and can handle the 2/3 receiver slot. Don't be surprised if we trade for another WR (Branch anyone?) but imo we need an A grade LB first.

Go the New Orleans Saints

Hey all

I have been a New Orleans Saints fan since 1992. I followed them cause i was a St George Dragons fan in Rugby League and of course they were called the saints sometimes, so i though it would be cool to follow the saints. I really enjoy gridiron.

I am very happy to see the mighty saints at 5-1. i really believe they can go all the way this year, it will be tough but as long as they stick to the game plans, play to their limitations and play as a team, they will be good.

I live in Sydney, does nayone know where i can get saints merchandise like t-shirts, flags etc.

I see that Jeff Dunne is a saint fan, good to see

GO THE MIGHTY SAINTS

Re: Go the New Orleans Saints

Good on 'em for haven' a crack this year I reckon. Can they go all the way? That remains to be seen...but they have a good QB, a nice running game, and a solid defense. I think their coaching staff being so inexperienced works against them in the playoffs, where they might face the Panthers, Seahawks and other experienced staffs...but who knows how far emotion can take you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back