Teams New Orleans Saints - The Who Dats

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive hurricane moves toward New Orleans

Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2021, 11:20 AM EDT

Sixteen years ago today, New Orleans faced dramatic and widespread devastation from Hurricane Katrina. Today, an even stronger storm is bearing down on the city.

Consider this ominous quote from University of Miami hurricane researcher Brian McNoldy, via Yahoo News: “Ida will most definitely be stronger than Katrina, and by a pretty big margin. And, the worst of the storm will pass over New Orleans and Baton Rouge, which got the weaker side of Katrina.”

The new storm came quickly. At a Thursday press conference, Saints coach Sean Payton was asked about contingency plans, and he said it was the first he’d heard of the storm.

Since then, the preseason finale against the Cardinals was canceled, and the Saints have evacuated to Texas.

At this point, it’s obvious that hard times are coming for the region. It’s not too early to begin contributing to the relief effort. Consider making a contribution through the United Way’s fund.

Saints head coach Sean Payton said the team could be away from New Orleans for a month as the city recovers from Hurricane Ida.
The Saints could open the season at AT&T Stadium in Dallas for their "home" opener against Green Bay, per Payton. Hurricane Ida reportedly did little damage to the Superdome but the team could conceivably miss two home games while the city recovers. Avoiding the Superdome's deafening crowd noise could be a plus for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers in Week 1.
SOURCE: Katherine Terrell on Twitter
Aug 31, 2021, 11:30 AM ET

As a relatively new fan of the game, and the team (this is my 3rd season) I'm gonna be leaning on you guys who seem to know exactly what the * you're talking about for my news and opinions.

Read through the posts since the start of August, most of it i'd seen on Reddit and Insta, but a good read nonetheless. Cheers lads.

As a relatively new fan of the game, and the team (this is my 3rd season) I'm gonna be leaning on you guys who seem to know exactly what the fu** you're talking about for my news and opinions.

Read through the posts since the start of August, most of it i'd seen on Reddit and Insta, but a good read nonetheless. Cheers lads.

Terrible choice of team :p but welcome to the board mate

Terrible choice of team :p but welcome to the board mate

Thanks mate. A friend of mine about 3 years ago made me choose a team but I made her promise not to judge and I would pick based on name/location and THEN find out if the team were any good. The obvious choice was the saints. Could be worse, she's a Giants fan, we've got an Eagles fan and a Jets fan in the chat group :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints released WR Chris Hogan.
Hogan was brought in for wide receiver depth in July, but was ultimately unable to earn a roster spot. It's possible he lands on a roster this season if a team is hit with injuries. The Saints also waived/released RB Alex Armah, T Caleb Benenoch, RB Devonta Freeman, T Jordan Mills, DB KeiVarae Russell, QB Trevor Siemian, DL Damion Square, G JR Sweezy, WR Kevin White, WR Kawaan Baker, DT Josiah Bronson, S Eric Burrell, DB Grant Haley, DL Albert Huggins, DB Natrell Jamerson, T Derrick Kelly, DL RJ McIntosh, LB Wyton McManis, CB Bryan Mills, C Christian Montano, LB Shaq Smith, DB Deuce Wallace, WR Easop Winston andTE Ethan Wolf
RELATED:
SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter
Aug 31, 2021, 6:41 PM ET

Saints signed CB Desmond Trufant, formerly of the Bears.
The Saints only had three cornerbacks listed on their roster headed into Week 1, so soon-to-be 31-year-old (on Friday) Trufant gives the team some needed experienced depth at the position. Trufant signed with the Bears in the offseason but was among Chicago's final cuts last week.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 6, 2021, 6:33 PM ET

Texans traded CB Bradley Roby to the Saints.
Roby is suspended Week 1 but will provide the Saints with a high quality starting cornerback once he returns. Per The Athletic's Aaron Reiss, the trade creates around $9 million in cap space for the Texans in 2021 and $10 million in 2022. Roby, age 29, makes quite a bit more sense on the Saints' roster than as part of Houston's rebuilding effort.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 8, 2021, 10:30 AM ET

Hi all, long-time Saints fan first time poster to this board.

I barrack for Collingwood and so seem to have the finals heart-break locked in for both AFL and NFL. I did start supporting the Saints a couple of yerars before the Superbowl win though wasn't into it as much then.

Anyhow great game on Monday and good to see Jameis throw those 5 touchdowns, a couple a bit off but well caught.

Packers have generally given us grief so good that we kept them and Rodgers to just a field goal.

Wasn't expecting much this season given Drew, Thomas and some other players left but a good start. Hope we follow up this week!

Gayle Benson’s estate plan calls for Saints to be sold, with proceeds given to charity

Posted by Mike Florio on September 30, 2021, 1:26 PM EDT

Tom Benson bought the Saints in 1985. After his widow passes, the team will be sold.

Gayle Benson, 74, has revealed her succession plan to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. It consists of the Saints being sold, with the money given to local charities.

“I can’t take it with me,” Gayle Benson told the Times-Picayune. “God gives us gifts, and this is a gift. I am a steward for this [organization]. And we help other people with it. My wish is to scatter all the good and gifts that God and Tom have given me to this city and community.”

Gayle Benson inherited the team after Tom Benson died in 2018.

Team executives are reportedly working to ensure that the buyer, whoever it may be, will keep the team in New Orleans. That will hinge in large part on the Superdome lease, which currently runs through 2025. Ongoing negotiations could extend the lease to 2035, and possibly longer than that.

The NFL already has approved Mrs. Benson’s succession plan, which must be updated annually. Eventually, the owners will have to approve the buyer.

That’s where it gets tricky. The good news is that, as time passes, the value of the team will increase — and the sale price and proceeds will expand accordingly. The not-so-good news is that, as franchise values climb, it will become harder and harder to find a qualified buyer. The qualified buyer may feel little or no guilt about eventually moving the team, given the billions that will be generated for local charities when the team is purchased. Likewise, a buyer who is committed to keeping the team in place may want to pay less for the team.

One strategy would be to identify a price premised on the team staying put. The deal also would include balloon payment that the buyer or the buyer’s successor would be required to pay if, for example, the team is moved within a certain number of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back