News New Partnership - Uber and UberEATS

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmae, just for curiosity sake and also to clear it up. do you have anything to do with the taxi industry? have family that own or drive a taxi?

Most people i come across that are that against uber use all this other stuff to justify their being angry with a company that has "ruined their investments"
No, I have no association with, or any investments in any aspect of the transport industry in this or any other country.

I have a background in economics that leaves me upset with the deregulation of markets that offer a service or good that helps address a public need, and an even greater umbrage with corporations that take advantage of such opportunities with a crocodile smile.

Last edited:

Management practices in relation to the treatment of women within their corporate hierarchy.

Safety protocols for drivers, which when lax have a greater impact on women (this is a problem for taxis as well, one they have attempted to address).

Ensuring safety standards for female-only passenger groups. Yes, they do the same kinds of safety checks as taxis, but by having a largely decentralised structure in terms of dispatch, driver-to-Uber communication is relatively limited, and relies on passengers reporting behaviour.

Historically, complaints and accusations short of criminal culpability results in nothing more than the driver being blocked from taking up an individual's fairs in the future; there are no sanctions, no training, and no governmental process that can be engaged. Again, this is has been a problem at times for taxis, but there has been more government and public pressure able to be applied in these circumstances, and taxi drivers can't just log off their terminal and more or less disappear.

Everything about Uber is about skating past legal requirements, and pushing every margin to grind a profit out, no matter the long term cost. That they claim to be wanting to better engage with the local community is in direct contradiction of their larger actions as a corporation.
And here I thought the crusades ended in 1291.

I have a background in economics that leaves me upset with the deregulation of markets that offer a service or good that helps address a public need, and an even greater umbridge with corporations that take advantage of such opportunities with a crocodile smile.

De-regulation is a good thing in this case when the only barrier to entry was just "have a lot of capital". There's no reason uber can't be forced to follow certain standards/regulations within the taxi industry. at least they've got rid of this ridiculous money making exercise of paying ludicrous amounts of cash just to be allowed to drive a taxi.

I don't think uber specifically will be around for a long time, but i think they've been beneficial to the taxi/hire car industry.

De-regulation is a good thing in this case when the only barrier to entry was just "have a lot of capital". There's no reason uber can't be forced to follow certain standards/regulations within the taxi industry. at least they've got rid of this ridiculous money making exercise of paying ludicrous amounts of cash just to be allowed to drive a taxi.

I don't think uber specifically will be around for a long time, but i think they've been beneficial to the taxi/hire car industry.
Have a google for 'uber god view'; they don't care. They're attempting to monopolise driverless taxis anyway they can.

No UberEATS in my area. :(
I've made a pretty penny off UberEats. I was one of the inital partners so we had a really hood run for about 6-8months as there wasnt much competition.

It has scaled back somewhat now that there are thousands of restaurants to choose from.

LPT: If you ever have problems with UberEats, complain. They are really good. You will often get a refund and $20 credit.

Also call the restaurant. If there is an issue and the customer reorders, we usually send a bunch of freebies.

I also highlighted their continual corporate misconduct in a post that has been subsequently deleted, a post I felt made my final arguments fairly succinctly. I'm really disappointed that the mod group felt it was an inappropriate thread for that discussion.

Is there an existing thread on BigFooty that covers this?

I was looking for that post to quote you and concede the point, but now that the evidence is gone...

From a purely consumer standpoint, Uber is awesome. I have a few mates who drive for some extra cash and they don't seem to have much of an issue with the way they go about things. I understand the possibility for rogue/sinister drivers but not sure how that's any different to a taxi.

No doubt there are going to be plenty of good drivers. And it may be more convienent than our current taxi set up.

But the company is actual scum.

Blatantly avoiding laws around the world IE refusing to make their drivers do finger print back ground checks in the USA, which regular drivers would have to do. Surprise surprise, when the odd rogue driver with a sex offender back ground rapes someone.

They absolutely exploit people in very vunarable financial positions in America too. Offer "finance" options for drivers to get cars, which they then have to pay off as a percentage of their fares. So drivers end up working for much lower than minimum wage. At the end they take the car back anyway.

A computer system which they call "Heavens View" that accesses all its users locations on their phone, and they can log on and see where any particular person is at any point of time. Already people missusing it seeing where celebrities are etc.

Below is a link the the pod cast I mentioned a couple pages back. Usually a comedy pod cast but they really have a good look at Ubers history, issues etc... anyone who uses Uber or cares about what sort of sponsors we have should really listen to it.

I have no issues with Uber being a market disruptor and upsetting the arrogance of the Taxi industry however the behaviour of their CEO and his leadership team toward women, the on record treatment of women within their company, and failure to act appropriately to prevent passengers being put in danger or respond appropriately when it happens (and sadly the abhorrent actions of drivers in transport industries against women does happen) should put things in perspective when the AFL walked two of its own for compromising relationships.

I personally have chosen to not use Uber until the company improves said record on equality starting from the top.

Most people i come across that are that against uber use all this other stuff to justify their being angry with a company that has "ruined their investments"

I get subsidised in my employment if I use Uber. I couldn't give a rats tossbag about the crumbling empire that is the taxi industry.

Unfortunately Uber is the greater of the two evils not for their undermining of the industry (this happens throughout history), but they are despicable in their actions as a corporation toward people. There's plenty of evidence on record even from their misogynist of a CEO. Actively seeking to hide allegations of rape against drivers so they don't get to the media? Despicable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who lives 170km from the CBD (180km according to my AFL membership ) I use cabs/uber rarely.

Almost every time I catch a cab in any city in Australia I instantly regret it. They stink, the drivers (mostly) give you nothing and are usually talking s**t on a headset or using a GPS to get you somewhere!

Uber in the other hand.....you order, you track the car, get it, it's clean, you have a chat to the lad, you arrive and pay pal does the rest.....what's not to love?

Last edited:
I have no issues with Uber being a market disruptor and upsetting the arrogance of the Taxi industry however the behaviour of their CEO and his leadership team toward women, the on record treatment of women within their company, and failure to act appropriately to prevent passengers being put in danger or respond appropriately when it happens (and sadly the abhorrent actions of drivers in transport industries against women does happen) should put things in perspective when the AFL walked two of its own for compromising relationships.

I personally have chosen to not use Uber until the company improves said record on equality starting from the top.
He has resigned.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I drive Uber Saturday nights when I have nothing else to do. I was doing it last year when all the controversy erupted with the cabbies too.

I've heard Alot of stories from Alot of women who have had poor experiences with taxi companies.

Once I even had a lady who had a serious incident and was too afraid to catch a cab by herself for 15 years.

General feedback from public isn't price related its service related and not once have I heard the taxi companies say maybe we could've provided better service and standards

General feedback from public isn't price related its service related and not once have I heard the taxi companies say maybe we could've provided better service and standards

This is a great reason why Uber deserves to be successful. I just wish they acted appropriately as a company, not just the individual drivers who largely do a great job.

I drive Uber Saturday nights when I have nothing else to do. I was doing it last year when all the controversy erupted with the cabbies too.

I've heard Alot of stories from Alot of women who have had poor experiences with taxi companies.

Once I even had a lady who had a serious incident and was too afraid to catch a cab by herself for 15 years.

I agree with this a million times over. Uber quite simply provides better service - from the ordering/booking process (which lets you know exactly how long you are waiting for) to the cars and drivers themselves, to the payment methods/options and opportunities for feedback.

Uber might be a bit cheaper and that contributes to their gaining a market share, but for me it is the service that matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back