News New Player Numbers - Why no #18?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macjoe

Got your Back
Apr 14, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide

The club has finalised the player numbers. Sam Berry is swapping his old 21 for Fischer McAsey's #3. Tyler Brown is picking up #21 and Mark Keane is going to take #48. That pleases me, I'm glad Matthew Jaensch's old number is back - Keane had #48 at Collingwood, too.
I am surprised #18 is not taken. Surely a prestigious number: Rodney Maynard, Troy Bond, Graham Johncock and most recently, Eddie.
Why not allocate such a famous number?

The club has finalised the player numbers. Sam Berry is swapping his old 21 for Fischer McAsey's #3. Tyler Brown is picking up #21 and Mark Keane is going to take #48. That pleases me, I'm glad Matthew Jaensch's old number is back - Keane had #48 at Collingwood, too.
I am surprised #18 is not taken. Surely a prestigious number: Rodney Maynard, Troy Bond, Graham Johncock and most recently, Eddie.
Might be hoping Tariek makes the big step up this season?

Want a great indigenous player to emerge and take it.

Keane wore 11 and 47 at the pies

Why no 119?

They should have offered it to Rankine as he has the tools to tear port a new one in the showdowns for a long time to come

I would love for them to wear the wharf pylons in their showdown this year and have Tex romp the 119 on the guernsey (assuming it’s his last year)

The media would be all over it!! Club Teal love it when we steal their thunder.

Why no 119?

They should have offered it to Rankine as he has the tools to tear port a new one in the showdowns for a long time to come:D
We should do a showdown warm up in a 119 top just for laughs...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even that made sense though because our list had over 50 players back then.

Does the AFL ban a player from choosing, say, number 78?
Or at the other end of the scale - can a player choose 0 or 00?

That’s the NBA fan in me coming out

Or at the other end of the scale - can a player choose 0 or 00?

That’s the NBA fan in me coming out
What about negative numbers, or irrational or complex numbers?

Could we see a player roll out wearing number i or e or π?

Is there an AFL rule that prevents player numbers higher than 50?
The highest registered number ever worn is 82, by Richmond's Ernie Taylor in one game in round 10, 1925.
In total, 10 players have worn a number 60 or higher, but the second-highest jumper number was 65, which was worn in one game by Collingwood's Andrew Witts in round 15, 1985.
Eight players have worn the number 60 across AFL/VFL history.

Even that made sense though because our list had over 50 players back then.

Does the AFL ban a player from choosing, say, number 78?
I could be wrong, but I think Rehn had the highest official number in an official AFL game.

IIRC our list was 52 in our inaugural year?

Its the highest number won by an AFL player in a winning AFL Premiership side. Unlikely to ever be broken. :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back