Opinion New player roles - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

You want our forwards to actually start kicking goals? Well, that would be a new role.

:D

It will be good to see how our forward line develops this year. I think combinations of McKay Charlie Silvagni Kerrdige LeBois Rowe Weitering SPS Murphy Gibbs Cripps Sumner Smedts Fisher Poslon Pickett Wright Cuningham Palmer all pushing through there will make us very dangerous and unpredictable. It's not about size etc anymore, it's about ball use and positoning. All these guys know how to kick goals

It will be good to see how our forward line develops this year. I think combinations of McKay Charlie Silvagni Kerrdige LeBois Rowe Weitering SPS Murphy Gibbs Cripps Sumner Smedts Fisher Poslon Pickett Wright Cuningham Palmer all pushing through there will make us very dangerous and unpredictable. It's not about size etc anymore, it's about ball use and positoning. All these guys know how to kick goals
You might also need to find a spot for Cas, at least in the short term.

Although it does go against the new concept of our forwards "kicking goals" ...

Could I get you to put that in writing to my wife??

Looking forward to seeing Cripps Cuningham & SPS starting in the middle. Heck of a combination
Here's hoping.

These are the guys taking the baton from Murph, Gibbs and Curnow.

I really hope the club is putting some thought into how the midfield might look in 3 - 5 years time when these guys retire.

Rowe is a terrible forward, and as a defender hes top 10 in our B&F.

No brainer where he plays.

I don't think it's that simple. I agree he is a very good defender. The issue is we have Weitering Marchbank G-Mac Plowman Jaksch Macreadie A.Silvagni as all possible tall defenders as well and these guys are the future. I believe they need to be able to learn and play together. IMO we are looking at the next great defence.

Rowe is a worker and will always do a job. He came to us as a forward/ruck so he can play that role and its an area we struggle. His workrate and bigger body will help McKay, Silvagni and our smaller players. He knows how to get to the right positions and play a team role. May not be a star but I like him in our side. A bit like Leigh Brown did at Collingwood.

I can see him playing several roles this year as we develop.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Kruezer is a terrific ruckman but he needs to work on his tank. Yes he can play out games but due to him being consistently injured over his first 7 seasons he has never been able to build that part to finish off a whole season. If we look at 2015 when he came back from injury he dominated quite a few games. Fair enough, you might say that other rucks such as Gawn had fatigued playing all season to then come up against a fresh Kruezer but what he does for the side at ground level is nothing short of brilliant.
In 2016 he played more games than any other season and I believe this had a lot to do with the coaches monitoring his work load. Yes, he looked tired in the back end and wasn't in the top 5-10 players every week but as he plays more, his confidence in his body will grow.
He is a vital cog in our team and should be valued as such.
I wonder how Krooz would go as a genuine tall midfielder, not a ruckman but just as a tall, big bodied onballer.

He's good below his knees for a big fella, has quick hands and covers a lot of ground.

Just not sure he gets enough of it.

Here's hoping.

These are the guys taking the baton from Murph, Gibbs and Curnow.

I really hope the club is putting some thought into how the midfield might look in 3 - 5 years time when these guys retire.

I'm sure Bolton is. All of a sudden we have a great mix of midfielders. The old heads (in their prime and still years to go) Murphy Gibbs Curnow Palmer along with Cripps & Cuningham will carry the bulk of the work and SPS Fisher Polson Sumner Charlie Pickett will be able to develop their games along side them. Depth players in Kerridge Wright Smedts & Graham. I think it's a great time and some genuine excitement about this group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how Krooz would go as a genuine tall midfielder, not a ruckman but just as a tall, big bodied onballer.

He's good below his knees for a big fella, has quick hands and covers a lot of ground.

Just not sure he gets enough of it.
He could have been trialled in the Bilcavs mould but now the third man ruling has been abolished I cannot see us having two giants in the center square. Been watching old games and it's my firm believe that he should be our sole ruckman in 2017 w/ Phillips providing from the 2nds. Don't really have an opinion on Corringe but he may still come into contention at some point.

He could have been trialled in the Bilcavs mould but now the third man ruling has been abolished I cannot see us having two giants in the center square. Been watching old games and it's my firm believe that he should be our sole ruckman in 2017 w/ Phillips providing from the 2nds. Don't really have an opinion on Corringe but he may still come into contention at some point.

We already do, Humfrey & Paddy.

Quite a few good assets, big weakness is the innate ability to find the ball. If we can get him following some ball magnets around, this should improve his running patterns with the added bonus of his attributes being able to hurt guys the other way.
After his first 3 games:

Kade Simpson averaged 0 possessions.

Gary Ablett Jnr averaged 9 possessions

Dane Swan averaged 9 possessions.

Patrick Cripps averaged 9 possessions.

Patrick Dangerfield averaged 11 possessions.

Nate Fyfe averaged 11 possessions.

... and David Cuningham averaged 10 possessions.

The boys will have a better understanding of Bolton vision , next year will be better still we just need patience.
His method will be more evident, every additional season on board,
fine tunning, readapting the Baggers for full potential.
We'll reap the benefits in few more years, patience is a must.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back