Opinion New player roles - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

After the completion of the 2017 season, this is how I see the new roles of some of our squad:

Brendan Bolton
Current role - Coach
New role - 2017 Premiership Coach

Marc Murphy
Current role - Captain
New role - 2017 Premiership Captain

Patrick Cripps
Current role - Inside mid beast
New role - 2017 Brownlow medal winning inside mid beast and Premiership player

Charlie Curnow
Current role - Second year fwd/mid
New role - 2017 Rising Star winner and Premiership player

Levi Casboult
Current role - Much maligned KPF
New role - 2017 Coleman medalist and Premiership player

Kade Simpson
Current role - small defender / heart and soul of Carlton
New role - 2017 Norm Smith Medallist and Premiership player

Jacob Weitering, Sam Docherty
Caleb Marchbank, Lachie Plowman
Bryce Gibbs, Matthew Kreuzer, Sam Petrovski-Seton
Zac Fisher, David Cuningham, Ed Curnow
Jack Silvagni, Harry McKay, Jarrod Pickett
Matthew Wright, Liam Sumner, Ciaran Byrne

Current role - Players
New role - 2017 Premiership players.

After the completion of the 2017 season, this is how I see the new roles of some of our squad:

Brendan Bolton
Current role - Coach

Marc Murphy
Current role - Captain

Patrick Cripps

Charlie Curnow

Levi Casboult

Kade Simpson

Current role - Players
Brilliant!....

And I'm going to say..... accurate.

Rowe is a terrible forward, and as a defender hes top 10 in our B&F.

No brainer where he plays.

He was serviceable last year, and for a makeshift defender, he performed admirably but he's going to have a tougher time retaining his spot with the inclusion of Marchbank and maybe A. Silvagni.

He's not a terrible forward and is an accurate set shot on goal.

I used the Consensus 2017 Lineup with a notable exclusion (Casboult) to set the scene for my new player roles. Comments below.
FB: Kade Simpson (101) - Caleb Marchbank (93) - Lachie Plowman (101)
HB: Sam Docherty (108) - Jacob Weitering (106) - Ciaran Byrne (83)/ Ciaran Sheehan (21)
C: Ed Curnow (102) - Patrick Cripps (120) - Sam Petrevski-Seton (60)
HF: - Rhys Palmer (26) - Charlie Curnow (107) - Jack Silvagni (117)
FF: Liam Sumner (69) - Harry McKay (93) - Matthew Wright (80)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (83) - Bryce Gibbs (120) - Marc Murphy (119)
I: Sam Rowe (38) - Jarrod Pickett (65) - David Cuningham (49) - Sam Kerridge (34)

New Roles 2017
Ejected - Levi Casboult (73) - too slow, bad kick, he is not the CHF of 2017 and a FF needs to be able to kick goals and I don't want a 3rd tall forward who slows down our forward line - sorry
Marchbank - I think he could do all the things Rowe did well but be attacking as well
SPS - line breaking midfielder with good skills - that would be a nice new role for someone to play in 2017
Palmer - one touch small forward who kicks 30+ and pinch hits in midfield
Charlie Curnow - it may be controversial and it maybe a year too early but I want this kid to be the modern day CHF that everyone wants, a lead up forward who is good at ground level and runs all day, if it doesn't work out then I will be okay if he becomes a Brownlow winning midfielder
McKay - big, pack marking/pack splitting, aggressive, team oriented, goal kicking FF - we can only dream
Rowe - I like what he offers but now he becomes the backup/second string - both in the ruck and down back who occasionally goes forward - only forward to replace McKay - I want a mobile forward line - 1 big at a time
Pickett - see SPS, X factor off the bench, thinking more likely on the wing or up forward
Cuningham - see SPS & Pickett, X factor off the bench, thinking more likely thru middle, but three guys who can provide dash excites me, I would like teams to be worried about our pace
Kerridge - I brought him in as the defensive forward who bobs up for a few goals, last year he had to take a lot of midfield minutes but with Murph, SPS, Cuningham, Palmer taking more minutes maybe he would be more composed and do a better job this year

Charlie Curnow - it may be controversial and it maybe a year too early but I want this kid to be the modern day CHF that everyone wants, a lead up forward who is good at ground level and runs all day, if it doesn't work out then I will be okay if he becomes a Brownlow winning midfielder

I know all the talk is about CCurnow going into the midfield but this is where I see him being of best value for the club.
You don't have to be 198cm to be a CHF. You just have to be smarter, faster, have better endurance than for the player wanting to close you down.

There is another, albeit ageing CHF that went alright for many years and he is also only 193cm......Nick Riewoldt.
He may not ever be as good as Nick, but he may be good enough.

Brendan Bolton
Current role - Coach

Marc Murphy
Current role - Captain

Patrick Cripps

Charlie Curnow

Levi Casboult

Kade Simpson

Current role - Players
On board with these.

But can also see Doc getting the players MVP and Weits getting the Nobel Prize for services to human / cyborg relations.

I know all the talk is about CCurnow going into the midfield but this is where I see him being of best value for the club.
You don't have to be 198cm to be a CHF. You just have to be smarter, faster, have better endurance than for the player wanting to close you down.

There is another, albeit ageing CHF that went alright for many years and he is also only 193cm......Nick Riewoldt.
He may not ever be as good as Nick, but he may be good enough.

Is there a CHF anymore? It's about positioining and playing a role. Modern mobile big forwards like Charlie & Silvagni will play a big part in our future

The boys will have a better understanding of Bolton vision , next year will be better still we just need patience.
His method will be more evident, every additional season on board,
fine tunning, readapting the Baggers for full potential.
We'll reap the benefits in few more years, patience is a must.

I agree. It can't be underestimated how much work went into the first pre-season by Bolts and his team to get the players ready for Round 1. I wasn't surprised when they were clearly burnt out by the last two rounds. BUT, I think we'll see overall improvement this season much more quickly and will surprise many: another year of the new work ethic and smart, modern football with an amazing injection of youth will surprise many. Go Blues.

Nick Graham > backline
Rowe > Ruck/Fwd behind Kreuz
Sheehan > Forward

Discuss
Nick Graham is not better than our backline.
Sheehan could be better than our forward line from the last couple of years.
Confused by the other equation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Boekhorst and Thomas to defence as running defenders.

Thomas reads it so very well and good mark.

Boek has great pace and penetrating kick suited to backline.

Thomas seems to have lost his speed and can't kick it past any defensive wall unless it is set up 30 meters in front of him.

If Thomas is the answer, we are asking the wrong question.

Thomas seems to have lost his speed and can't kick it past any defensive wall unless it is set up 30 meters in front of him.

If Thomas is the answer, we are asking the wrong question.

Agree Thomas will be moved on end season and release much needed cap space we need to chase a quality UFA that will strengthen and contribute positively to our team.

Thomas needs to spend the next 12 months in a training development role. His skills and football brain whilst not up to it on the field should be utilised elsewhere. He is a likeable guy with good interpersonal skills.

Could do a lot worse in a support role within the club.

Unfortunately I think Graham's role will be to lead our VFL midfield while providing injury cover (same as 2016), our new recruits have probably pushed him further back. Hope he proves me wrong though.

Somehow I still have hope KJ can find a spot in our forward line. Particularly if Cas doesn't improve and the rumours of him being held back by sickness last year are true.

Thomas: yes, can see him working in tandem with Simpson in that defensive midfield role when required.

Boekhorst: no, but it wouldn't hurt his chances if he showed the running capacity and work ethic to support the ball movement in the defensive half of the ground, and maybe some more defensive pressure through midfield.

Thomas needs to spend the next 12 months in a training development role. His skills and football brain whilst not up to it on the field should be utilised elsewhere. He is a likeable guy with good interpersonal skills.

Could do a lot worse in a support role within the club.

My only hope for Thomas, is that he is used off the bench in the midfield, and should we somehow make the GF this year, that he does a complete Stewy Dew and runs amock in a definitive 10
Mins of play that will justify his recruitment

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good comments and I hope you're right. I'm not sure "tank" is his issue. Actually think it's his biggest asset. Always seemed to be good in that area. If anything i think splitting his time with Phillips has hurt him. My feel is injuries have taken their toll and the game has gone past him. He's also not that big and struggles against the genuine big rucks.

He's one of those guys that you would really like to see do well but I have my doubts. 2017 is huge for him
Would be a very good ruckman forward at another club with a better first ruck. FA to another club after Season 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back