Analysis New player roles - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had a lot of discussion around possible new roles for players come this new season.
Sometimes a new role has to be manufactured/trialled for individuals, as there's at times not enough room to fit all the pegs into the same hole.

We know SPS will be likely start in the back-line.
We feel we know that Fisher and Dow will have turns in the forward line.
We heard that Martin may play midfield.
We've brought up Marchbank on the wing etc etc.

What possibilities do you see working out and why?
Which 'trials' though, do you feel may come to naught?

Sometimes a player will be used in a foreign role as a start point, so let's also take the new guys into account whether they play senior or VFL football.
i.e. Stocker played in the back-line the majority of the year.

So which possible changes of roles will be winners and which look likely be losers?

We've had a lot of discussion around possible new roles for players come this new season.
Sometimes a new role has to be manufactured/trialled for individuals, as there's at times not enough room to fit all the pegs into the same hole.

We know SPS will be likely start in the back-line.
We feel we know that Fisher and Dow will have turns in the forward line.
We heard that Martin may play midfield.
We've brought up Marchbank on the wing etc etc.

What possibilities do you see working out and why?
Which 'trials' though, do you feel may come to naught?

Sometimes a player will be used in a foreign role as a start point, so let's also take the new guys into account whether they play senior or VFL football.
i.e. Stocker played in the back-line the majority of the year.

So which possible changes of roles will be winners and which look likely be losers?

SPS I'm in two minds with him, I like him in the midfield and adds something different with his pace and aggression but I also think he could be a really weapon running out of defence.

Fisher I think should be a midfielder first and rest forward.

Dow looked lost in the forward line last year. I would like to see him be tried down back and swap between defence and midfield and rotate with SPS.

Martin I don't want to see him in the midfield. He'll be better as a high half forward and be the kick between the midfield and the forward line.

Marchbank I don't like the idea of him on the wing because there are too many in front of him and I can't see the advantage of having him on the wing.

Stocker when he's ready to get a game, I think it should be as an inside mid.

Kennedy and JSOS rotating with each other between the midfield and the forward line.

Ed Curnow to the forward pocket anyone????

In all seriousness, we have an abundance of rebounding defenders so I can see I can see all of Newnes, Newman, LOB, SPS, Stocker, Williamson rotating between HBF and the wing at times throughout the season. Simpson and Docherty to stay amongst the back six permanently IMO. Would prefer Marchbank settle in to his usual role in defence before being trialled elsewhere, returning to AFL footy in a new position after a few injury-riddled years sounds risky.

Will be interesting how Casboult performs up forward this year after his heroics in defence. Kennedy too if he gets a call up. Hoping TDK could push for a few games as FF/resting ruck during Charlie's absence.

Forward mix should be more dynamic this year with the additions of Betts and Martin. Mids that push forward such as Fisher, Dow, Gibbons, Cunners, Murph, Martin are vital to the way Teague sets up.

There is going to be some mixing and matching and I feel a lot of that may yet come about via the 2's

Stocker now a starting mid.
BSilvagni trialed forward as there is now space for him with Kerr and a ruck-man out of the equation.
Philp in the back-line ala stocker last year...maybe...but given Anderson and Fisher our gone, he may yet be a starting mid.

SPS I'm in two minds with him, I like him in the midfield and adds something different with his pace and aggression but I also think he could be a really weapon running out of defence.

Fisher I think should be a midfielder first and rest forward.

Dow looked lost in the forward line last year. I would like to see him be tried down back and swap between defence and midfield and rotate with SPS.

Martin I don't want to see him in the midfield. He'll be better as a high half forward and be the kick between the midfield and the forward line.

Marchbank I don't like the idea of him on the wing because there are too many in front of him and I can't see the advantage of having him on the wing.

Stocker when he's ready to get a game, I think it should be as an inside mid.

Kennedy and JSOS rotating with each other between the midfield and the forward line.
Agree..Marchbank if not played in defence should never be played on the wing, so important in today's game that wingers to create and setup many plays who need too cover a stack of ground.. Disagree on Dow, even though he played his underage year as a halfback then moved into the midfield he can't be played in defence, imo needs to improve his endurance but can definitely play a dangerous roll through the forward line when rotating from midfield..

Last edited:
Martin - Will start in the forward line from the first bounce, then float up onto a wing. Even split in both areas, as well as floating into the defensive arc

Doc - Playing in front of the back 6

Newnes - Will be used between the arcs

Levi - 1st half of the season, forward, changing ruck, unless there is an injury to Jones or Weitering

SPS - Will start as a HB or defensive wing, then eventually move into the midfield, 2020-21

Willo and LOB will eventually take over from Simmo and Newman. Willo to recommence on a wing

Fisher - Will be his best season, mid/forward

BSOS - Played at both ends, VFL

Macreadie - 3rd tall defender/wing VFL level

Cottrell - To debut as small defender

Ramsay - Will play seniors this year, wing

I think we are almost there right now - competitive against any side.

No surprises to hear Teague sing the praises of Levi - he is going to have an absolute monster year - with Betts/Martin/McGovern and Harry running around causing panic ....no more triple ganging of Levi will be seen Carlton has plenty of options up front that will need to be covered...and Levi has to be a big winner out of this.

Really pleased to read that Teague makes mention of Kennedy's role - as a smart tough forward option who can kick goals and rotate through the middle.
I thought SPS should play off HBF during pre-season last year - when we found out Docherty went down again and made the case then ...he has the skills to dominate as a playmaker off HBF and pushing forward...if his fitness can go up a notch that would be awesome.

As for some other positional changes - I reckon the side has to find a spot and a role for Williamson - an athletic beast with mongrel and a decent kick - wing maybe....I can see Fisher having the smarts to play as a forward pocket and rotate through the middle - again he has to be fitted in ...

My definites are limited to : Jones/Weitering/Docherty/Simpson | Kreuzer/ Cripps/Murphy/Ed and Walsh | Betts/Martin/McGovern/Harry/Levi =14 players

that leaves 8 positions to be filled from :

Newman/Newnes/Williamson/Marchbank/SPS/McCreadie | Soj/Kennedy/ LoB/Setterfield/Gibbons/Cuningham/Dow/Stocker/Fisher/TDK/Pittonet and the rest Cottrell/Ramsay/Owies/Polson etc

by my simple arithmetic - that leaves 7+ AFL quality players out of the side each week....it looks like VFL side will have a decent defensive and midfield mix in 2020 - not so sure about forward line...which means new recruits with any forward form or potential will likely get plenty of exposure in VFL

Negatives -

I don't like the idea of Dow playing forward and not just because he got lost there when forced forward last year....but signs were there.
Dow doesn't pressure near enough, isn't a goal-kicker and doesn't create. He's going to have to work hard to grab a starting midfielder spot.

Fisher is a little more capable forward, but not having a right boot may hurt in the end.

Marchbank on a wing or forward, even though may be fruitful from time to time, I see only as a 'break open in case of emergency' type scenario.
There are better options for those roles and they likely be utilised.

Martin is capable playing midfield to some degree, but that's about it.
Again, there are better options that once employed, should be difficult to deploy.

On the other hand though, I can see Stocker going straight into the midfield with the NB's and Philp going back for his development.

There is going to be some mixing and matching and I feel a lot of that may yet come about via the 2's

Stocker now a starting mid.
BSilvagni trialed forward as there is now space for him with Kerr and a ruck-man out of the equation.
Philp in the back-line ala stocker last year...maybe...but given Anderson and Fisher our gone, he may yet be a starting mid.

Did Ben kick 12 goals or something like that in a school game?

Philp with his pace and strong tackling would be a good fit as a small defender.

There's no easy place to play on a football field, but if one was to be the easiest, it would likely be the HBF role.

Given the amount of quality mids we have, I don't mind a rookie starting off in this post and especially so, if the profile to play the role is suitable.
Philp would learn plenty in terms of what is required to be aware of your man, before assuming midfield duties be it in the VFL or if things go very well, in the AFL and if for instance he makes a back-pocket post his own, then that's just fine also.

I did like Stocker playing HBF last year. Didn't mimd giving out more than he got last year. We can really do with an 'enforcer' type and he fits that bill well.

Little doubt in my mind Philp, Ramsay and Honey will be tried in a variety of roles back, forward and midfield in 2020. Phillips screams of forward first. Not everyone can be a midfielder. We will have between three and six of Stocker, Dow, Gibbons, JSOS, Kennedy, Lang, Cottrell, O'Brien, Newnes or even Cuningham in the twos if injury does not play a part in senior selection. This is added to Northern's own Wilson, Bartholomaeus, O'Rourke, Cunico and young Kye Quirk midfield prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little doubt in my mind Philp, Ramsay and Honey will be tried in a variety of roles back, forward and midfield in 2020. Phillips screams of forward first. Not everyone can be a midfielder. We will have between three and six of Stocker, Dow, Gibbons, JSOS, Kennedy, Lang, Cottrell, O'Brien, Newnes or even Cuningham in the twos if injury does not play a part in senior selection. This is added to Northern's own Wilson, Bartholomaeus, O'Rourke, Cunico and young Kye Quirk midfield prospects.

The new guys -

Honey looks capable of playing midfield but I see that forward post for him, ala Papley.
He has a deceiving burst of speed and can wriggle himself out of that spots. Looks to be a little creative to me, also.

Ramsay shouldn't have an issue taking starting wing. That looks straight-forward enough at this stage.

Phillips forward...definitely.
It's been said that he'll take time but may just be worth it.
This guy can kick goals and kick them out of seemingly nowhere upon my observation. We'll see how he goes when the pressure is on, though.

Philp I see starting back because -
Stocker may have served an apprenticeship playing in the back-line for the NB's...maybe.
Kennedy is likely to start in the NB's also, but if it's not him it may be JSilvagni, who if he played here may be given plenty of midfield minutes.
There's also likely to be another player or maybe two that may have to play midfield for the NB's before Philp and then there's the NB guys such as Wilson.

Negatives -

I don't like the idea of Dow playing forward and not just because he got lost there when forced forward last year....but signs were there.
Dow doesn't pressure near enough, isn't a goal-kicker and doesn't create. He's going to have to work hard to grab a starting midfielder spot.

Fisher is a little more capable forward, but not having a right boot may hurt in the end.

Marchbank on a wing or forward, even though may be fruitful from time to time, I see only as a 'break open in case of emergency' type scenario.
There are better options for those roles and they likely be utilised.

Martin is capable playing midfield to some degree, but that's about it.
Again, there are better options that once employed, should be difficult to deploy.

On the other hand though, I can see Stocker going straight into the midfield with the NB's and Philp going back for his development.

Could Simmo spend time forward? And could that free up a space for March bank?

No surprises to hear Teague sing the praises of Levi - he is going to have an absolute monster year - with Betts/Martin/McGovern and Harry running around causing panic ....no more triple ganging of Levi will be seen Carlton has plenty of options up front that will need to be covered...and Levi has to be a big winner out of this.

Really pleased to read that Teague makes mention of Kennedy's role - as a smart tough forward option who can kick goals and rotate through the middle.
I thought SPS should play off HBF during pre-season last year - when we found out Docherty went down again and made the case then ...he has the skills to dominate as a playmaker off HBF and pushing forward...if his fitness can go up a notch that would be awesome.

As for some other positional changes - I reckon the side has to find a spot and a role for Williamson - an athletic beast with mongrel and a decent kick - wing maybe....I can see Fisher having the smarts to play as a forward pocket and rotate through the middle - again he has to be fitted in ...

My definites are limited to : Jones/Weitering/Docherty/Simpson | Kreuzer/ Cripps/Murphy/Ed and Walsh | Betts/Martin/McGovern/Harry/Levi =14 players

Newman/Newnes/Williamson/Marchbank/SPS/McCreadie | Soj/Kennedy/ LoB/Setterfield/Gibbons/Cuningham/Dow/Stocker/Fisher/TDK/Pittonet and the rest Cottrell/Ramsay/Owies/Polson etc

by my simple arithmetic - that leaves 7+ AFL quality players out of the side each week....it looks like VFL side will have a decent defensive and midfield mix in 2020 - not so sure about forward line...which means new recruits with any forward form or potential will likely get plenty of exposure in VFL
Where is Plowman in this scenario?
Surely a podium finish in the BnF gets him a mention.

Where is Plowman in this scenario?
Surely a podium finish in the BnF gets him a mention.

Good pick up Just an unintentional miss by me - Plowman is a starting player for sure - make that another position taken ...

I’d add Setterfield and Cunningham into the definites every day of the week.
All else agreed.

I’d add Setterfield and Cunningham into the definites every day of the week.
All else agreed.

I'm over the line with Setterfield for sure- and Cunningham isa bit of enigma- if he gets his body and brain right he can break games apart...IF a couple of years ago I thought we had Cunigham and Pickett as the match winners and I am still getting over losing Byrne -AFL is a very hard on body game you cant just muscle up like in rugby - AFL is a running game.

I'm over the line with Setterfield for sure- and Cunningham isa bit of enigma- if he gets his body and brain right he can break games apart...IF a couple of years ago I thought we had Cunigham and Pickett as the match winners and I am still getting over losing Byrne -AFL is a very hard on body game you cant just muscle up like in rugby - AFL is a running game.
Setterfield knows he is good, only a cupla rungs down from Crippa good IMO at this point, Cunningham doesn’t even realise when he’s done something few in the game have ever been able to do, he’s that low on self belief. He’s a ******* odd ball of super elite talent, I can’t think of anyone so full of extreme ability with the complete lack of self awareness of ones own talent.
Every elite sportsperson we can think of knows they are a supreme force, not our Davey though!
He’s always like “aw shucks guys, whadidido again but, derp”, whilst everybody is left trying to figure out how the actual * he did it, even after several replays in slow motion.
As you say enigma!!👍

Setterfield knows he is good, only a cupla rungs down from Crippa good IMO at this point, Cunningham doesn’t even realise when he’s done something few in the game have ever been able to do, he’s that low on self belief. He’s a ******* odd ball of super elite talent, I can’t think of anyone so full of extreme ability with the complete lack of self awareness of ones own talent.
Every elite sportsperson we can think of knows they are a supreme force, not our Davey though!
He’s always like “aw shucks guys, whadidido again but, derp”, whilst everybody is left trying to figure out how the actual fu** he did it, even after several replays in slow motion.
As you say enigma!!👍

Stocker and Kemp - if Russell can get 'em fit- look out.

Stocker and Kemp - if Russell can get 'em fit- look out.
I loved seeing Stoker live last year, me and me bro were exchanging “we’ve got one here glances”, he just looked like he belonged, great positioning, strong beyond his years and had plenty of time with ball in hand.
As for Kemp, I said he was my fave kid outside of puck 1/2, cocksure strut, great leap, great hands, good kick, fast, strong in the contest and a very very high ceiling.
Our guys in list mgt have left me more excited in my 50 yrs than I’ve been in over 2 decades.
Russell is the catalyst been talent and performance, he is our George Martin!👍

I loved seeing Stoker live last year, me and me bro were exchanging “we’ve got one here glances”, he just looked like he belonged, great positioning, strong beyond his years and had plenty of time with ball in hand.
As for Kemp, I said he was my fave kid outside of puck 1/2, cocksure strut, great leap, great hands, good kick, fast, strong in the contest and a very very high ceiling.
Our guys in list mgt have left me more excited in my 50 yrs than I’ve been in over 2 decades.

Yep - I will be forever grateful for SOS's list build and the types he picks - which is why I guess I get sucked into the trolls who like to rewrite history and say SOS is crap!!!

I thunk I neid knew glaesses! Derp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back