Prediction New player roles 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

With a healthy (relatively healthy) list, there's likely to be some positional changes for players, leading into 2021.
As much as we'd like for players to be nestled into the favoured/familiar roles, some will have to play elsewhere, be it in the seniors or the VFL.
I just thought that this shouldn't be as much as who will actually play where, but for positions you feel players may actually play their best football.

There are some that will roll off quite easily and others that some thought may need to go behind the idea.

No one has to get angry at another for their ideas....it's just to see what falls out. :)

Fogarty (Long term) - See him playing on opposition smalls in the backline. Has the skill-set to take some pressure off Plowman.

Philp - I thought he may become that backline, exit player we wanted but given Saad, Williams and co, I now see him as a good starter off the wing.

Honey - High half forward (Papley-type role). Has the explosiveness to creative problems here for the opposition.

Great idea this one.

Personally (although Amos/Teague have said it won't happen), SPS needs to play mostly as a mid or on a wing with Willo, who is another one up for a position change.

I don't mind where Walsh plays. I think in 2021 it will depend on which outside mids are in the 22 come game day, so for him to rotate between on-ball and a wing is fine for me.

We've already been told that Fisher will be a full time forward, and Martin has a high chance of rotating with Williams across the midfield and forward lines. Sounds pretty good.

Last but not least Murphy who if going to be in the team, I would like on a HFF. That allows a Gibbons or Cuningham to get more time in the guts.

Jack Silvagni - Inside mid. It might take an injury to Ed Curnow for us to try this experiment but I'm convinced it would be the making of Jack.

SPS to play HHF or wing to take advantage of those neat possession into our big fellas for scoring opportunities. Perhaps even a direct swap role with Martin with one on ball and one forward for the majority of the game, zip and spark at all times. Williams in that mix too. Quick speed on ball and forward every possession.

SPS out of the backline. Wasted there for mine. Limited damage and would prefer to see either as a relieving midfielder, wing &/or HFF.
Extending the length on his kicks wouldn’t go astray either.

Williamson out of defence & onto the wing. Can cover defence but more importantly allows the forwards to receive the ball to their advantage off his boot.

As an aside; Combo of C.Curnow FF & H.McKay CHF with McGovern showing form deep forward up to the wings & the trio cutting loose allowing small/mid forwards greater rewards with it.

SPS is a funny one insofar as the reflex is to get him out of the backline, yet now with Saad and Williams on board, the backline doesn't seem to be quite as crazy an idea for him, dependent on the role he's given. One thing I wouldn't want to see though, is SPS playing deep in defence.
Even though SPS does slow the game down at times, he does it with purpose and generally executes well coming out of defence.

Anyway, I'd still like to see him forward for that reason in particular; He can slow the game down and deliver well to his forwards.

Anyway, I'd still like to see him forward for that reason in particular; He can slow the game down and deliver well to his forwards.
This is exactly why I want him up the ground. SPS is a great kick and forwards would love him delivering into our 50.

Perhaps it was the nature of his role across half back last season, but he isn't the fastest when bringing the ball out of defence. He's much more of a pick-the-best-target player. I think Teague will want us running the ball more this year, and given we have Saad, we've got a better fit across half back to do that. So get SPS higher up the ground and use his strengths to help us fix the poor conversion rate we have despite a high number of F50 entries.

McGovern to the backline is the obvious one. It has been the path to success for a thousand forwards who struggle to get involved a la Liam Jones. His aerial skills and cannon foot make it a logical move. His kicking is the perfect way to complement Saad’s running to give us options to beat a forward press. We need KPD depth. And finally - his brother is the best KPD in the league, and also started as a forward before moving back.

Lining up Weitering - Jones - McGovern - Saad - Docherty - Williamson - Plowman gives us a very strong back 7 imo.

This is exactly why I want him up the ground. SPS is a great kick and forwards would love him delivering into our 50.

Perhaps it was the nature of his role across half back last season, but he isn't the fastest when bringing the ball out of defence. He's much more of a pick-the-best-target player. I think Teague will want us running the ball more this year, and given we have Saad, we've got a better fit across half back to do that. So get SPS higher up the ground and use his strengths to help us fix the poor conversion rate we have despite a high number of F50 entries.

I agree with you obviously and it somehow seems natural that with Saad and Williams coming on board, that SPS gets 'released' but, I can also see why with the addition of those players, that SPS saying in the backline also makes sense.

We visualise Saad streaming out of the backline at every call, but that's just not going to happen.
It will though come about more regularly should good ball users afford him the opportunity to do so.....SPS.

It may seem that I'm arguing against myself here, but the point is that both scenarios somehow play out well.
As long as we attain a net gain in SPS's use, then all good....whether it be back or forward.

Casboult played some of his best footy as a KPD when Jones missed a run of games a couple years ago.....I'd like him back there when possible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fogarty (Long term) - See him playing on opposition smalls in the backline. Has the skill-set to take some pressure off Plowman.

Philp - I thought he may become that backline, exit player we wanted but given Saad, Williams and co, I now see him as a good starter off the wing.

Honey - High half forward (Papley-type role). Has the explosiveness to creative problems here for the opposition.

So after claiming Fogarty will displace Gibbons ( rather than both being able to coexist), Fogarty will now be a defender and still displace the likes of Gibbons

😂😂😂

My role change is around Cripps to the forward line. Not a 100% complete move but a higher split of times. Eventually I’d rather the split was more forward. Either this year or next year I’d like to see him train with forwards.

Why?
Cripps is a strong mid from an attacking viewpoint. He can’t stop midfield rebound....like at all. Opposition teams are getting smarter by showing him up defensively. He has no speed and can’t turn. The agility you have at 20 for big guys starts to reduce mid 20s. Anyone notice over last three seasons the club says how they are slimming him down but to the naked eye he is slower again season on season (always looks banged up now). Strategically as an opposition coach...I would get the ball into either Marc. Murphy or Cripps direct opponent. From there it is a free kick inside 50. Cripps is still amazing on the attacking side Of things.

As a player and clubman, he is determined and team orientated. If you ask him to play KPF he will learn that craft 100%. Right now he is just been thrown fwd for spells.

We have a gap there right now with c curnow out. JSOS, McGovern and Kennedy, all lack the centremetres to a degree For the role. Casbault I get but the truth is he is just Too unreliable. I raved about him for three weeks early in the season, then I never saw him impact at all second half of season. Id prefer Cripps gets a shot As the second tall.

I think the midfield characteristics require running, tackling and efficient kicking. Some other stuff as well but those basics are non negotiable. As barker indicated, sometimes another mix of midfielders in there gave us a better outcome.

Williamson onto the wing, can be the release target out of defence and the link into the forward line. He is a 70 metre player, runs 15 then kicks it 55+ over the defensive wall. Means we can leave Harry at home rather than him taking the mark on the wing and then having nothing to kick to inside 50.

Great idea this one.

Personally (although Amos/Teague have said it won't happen), SPS needs to play mostly as a mid or on a wing with Willo, who is another one up for a position change.

I don't mind where Walsh plays. I think in 2021 it will depend on which outside mids are in the 22 come game day, so for him to rotate between on-ball and a wing is fine for me.

We've already been told that Fisher will be a full time forward, and Martin has a high chance of rotating with Williams across the midfield and forward lines. Sounds pretty good.

Last but not least Murphy who if going to be in the team, I would like on a HFF. That allows a Gibbons or Cuningham to get more time in the guts.
^ What he said. Pretty much sums up everything I was going to say.

My role change is around Cripps to the forward line. Not a 100% complete move but a higher split of times. Eventually I’d rather the split was more forward. Either this year or next year I’d like to see him train with forwards.

Why?
Cripps is a strong mid from an attacking viewpoint. He can’t stop midfield rebound....like at all. Opposition teams are getting smarter by showing him up defensively. He has no speed and can’t turn. The agility you have at 20 for big guys starts to reduce mid 20s. Anyone notice over last three seasons the club says how they are slimming him down but to the naked eye he is slower again season on season (always looks banged up now). Strategically as an opposition coach...I would get the ball into either Marc. Murphy or Cripps direct opponent. From there it is a free kick inside 50. Cripps is still amazing on the attacking side Of things.

As a player and clubman, he is determined and team orientated. If you ask him to play KPF he will learn that craft 100%. Right now he is just been thrown fwd for spells.

We have a gap there right now with c curnow out. JSOS, McGovern and Kennedy, all lack the centremetres to a degree For the role. Casbault I get but the truth is he is just Too unreliable. I raved about him for three weeks early in the season, then I never saw him impact at all second half of season. Id prefer Cripps gets a shot As the second tall.

I think the midfield characteristics require running, tackling and efficient kicking. Some other stuff as well but those basics are non negotiable. As barker indicated, sometimes another mix of midfielders in there gave us a better outcome.

I like your post for a whole lot of reasons. But don’t forget the problem here... he can’t kick for goal. Not only that, try and name a player on the list you would less prefer kicking for goal. Liam Jones and Plowman are about the only two I can come up with. Yes, goal kicking can be taught (Casboult at times), but there’s something about his makeup which suggests that he’s very fragile in front of the big sticks.

Would not waste Cunners as a small forward in the firsts. Play him in the middle in the reserves until he is banging the door down to get senior games. Has the tools, not the belief.

Why?

Cripps is our best midfielder, and you want to play him out of position?

I like your post for a whole lot of reasons. But don’t forget the problem here... he can’t kick for goal. Not only that, try and name a player on the list you would less prefer kicking for goal. Liam Jones and Plowman are about the only two I can come up with. Yes, goal kicking can be taught (Casboult at times), but there’s something about his makeup which suggests that he’s very fragile in front of the big sticks.

Watching Cripps kick for goal, his technique is not horrific like his output. This suggests it’s mostly in his head. Remember WCE Kennedy and run up stutter. He got thru that nervousness. Like you said, Casbault improved his output.

If he trained as a fwd, he would also work on the mental aspect and technique aspect of goal kicking week to week. As a mid, he never works on it.

I would bet money Cripps could improve more than Casbault did because his technique base is better.

Watching Cripps kick for goal, his technique is not horrific like his output. This suggests it’s mostly in his head. Remember WCE Kennedy and run up stutter. He got thru that nervousness. Like you said, Casbault improved his output.

If he trained as a fwd, he would also work on the mental aspect and technique aspect of goal kicking week to week. As a mid, he never works on it.

I would bet money Cripps could improve more than Casbault did because his technique base is better.
Aside from goal kicking though, his lack of defensive pressure, which I agree with, might be exacerbated even further by quick exits from quality half backs which hurt on the rebound. I would like to see him work on his defensive run while on the ball so we maximise the benefit of our best onballer and have him rest forward for 5 minute spells, three or four times a game.

Cripps is our best midfielder, and you want to play him out of position?

Every chance I’m getting this wrong so I get what you and others say.

When I watched some of the games I just picked up players like Cripps and Murphy really struggling to pick their man up while they were scoring or shooting for goal. So you think about net gain. I think with Murphy specifically the net goals he plays a part in are completely offset by his poor accountability and the goals his weekly opponent is involved in. We can’t just add up goals without offsetting them against their opponent scoring. We need net benefit.

In some of the games I noticed centre clearance improved when Kennedy and Martin went in the middle. I don’t know if those two could maintain that. I just noticed in 2/3 times is all.

Everyone just watches the goals and possession count and says good player. We also pick up on impact. Example. Kennedy vs Cripps. Right now Cripps gets first crack at midfield over Kennedy. Rightly so. But...the argument to change is really hard. Cripps plays midfield and Kennedy half fwd. Cripps because he plays middle gets access to 20-30 possessions In that midfield role. Kennedy as a half fwd gets access to 12-18 possessions. Everyone on here in simplicity says Kennedy is no good and they want Cripps. The argument could in reality be a lot closer now Kennedy is fit. Also, minutes in role is important. Kennedy gets a shot in middle but only for minutes....so again, hard to line him up vs Cripps For comparison and effect.

note. I believe Kennedy would suffer from the same issues I accuse Cripps of defensively...slow on defensive side of game. Just personally, I’d like him to relieve some of that load on Cripps...

overall, I think Cripps is a winner and was to preserve him. Last two seasons the entire season he has looked slow and banged up yet has still tried his heart out.

the club needs to be smart.

Aside from goal kicking though, his lack of defensive pressure, which I agree with, might be exacerbated even further by quick exits from quality half backs which hurt on the rebound. I would like to see him work on his defensive run while on the ball so we maximise the benefit of our best onballer and have him rest forward for 5 minute spells, three or four times a game.

Agree with that. I’d would respond that if he played fwd 50 his defensive pressure would be better than Casbault defensive pressure. But I get your point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back