Radio 'You cannot be serious' podcast with Sam Newman, Don Scott and Rod Law

Remove this Banner Ad

I find Newman’s schtick really boring these days.

I used to appreciate his boofheadedness on the footy show and the somewhat self effacing way he’d do anything for a laugh.

Perhaps I’ve grown up, perhaps he’s regressed, perhaps it’s both as well as other factors but he’s borderline unlistenable in my view. He can barely form a sentence without waffling off into some tangent.

In his view: Trump good, trans bad. Fine. But do we have to hear the same myopic, rambling take on such issues every week?

It also shits me when he gets semantics-pedantic around the way other people speak (all language evolves). Or asks if anyone else knows what the word he just said means. Just because you can regurgitate the dictionary doesn’t make you more intelligent than everyone else.

He comes across more and more as a humourless, borderline hateful, precious, curmudgeon and I find myself listening to this podcast less and less.

In his view: Trump good, trans bad. Fine. But do we have to hear the same myopic, rambling take on such issues every week?

also bad

african gangs (but also dislikes gangs of any colour)
climate change activists
democrats
labor party
abc
the age

I find Newman’s schtick really boring these days.

I used to appreciate his boofheadedness on the footy show and the somewhat self effacing way he’d do anything for a laugh.

Perhaps I’ve grown up, perhaps he’s regressed, perhaps it’s both as well as other factors but he’s borderline unlistenable in my view. He can barely form a sentence without waffling off into some tangent.

It also shits me when he gets semantics-pedantic around the way other people speak (all language evolves). Or asks if anyone else knows what the word he just said means. Just because you can regurgitate the dictionary doesn’t make you more intelligent than everyone else.

He comes across more and more as a humourless, borderline hateful, precious, curmudgeon and I find myself listening to this podcast less and less.
He's making a complete arse of himself for mine. Sheahan having to continually correct his English and his need to support everything the moron who is the current POTUS does is cringeworthy.

I still dont mind him but i have come across so many Trumptards with exactly the same arguments as Sam that i am probably used to them. Sam is actually starting to struggle with thoughts and words though and i have seen signs like that with people with early signs of Alzheimers struggle like he does as well. Hope i am wrong

The problem is that Mike is supposed to be from the opposing point of view but he's a lightweight who just sits there like a stunned mullet because he has no clue what the arguments against Sam are. We saw what Sam was like when he was properly challenged by Caro and he was hysterical and all over the shop whilst she remained calm.

I love Don because he is maybe the most unique person I've come across but I roll my eyes every time he is not talking or the topics consist of climate change, Trump, transgender people and Sam bashing those from the 'left' which unfortunately is 90% of most pods.

I still dont mind him but i have come across so many Trumptards with exactly the same arguments as Sam that i am probably used to them. Sam is actually starting to struggle with thoughts and words though and i have seen signs like that with people with early signs of Alzheimers struggle like he does as well. Hope i am wrong
I've noticed that with Sam for years now TBH. There are days when his words and thoughts flow, and then there are other times when he struggles to string a coherent sentence together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of months ago we had Sam attend a country footy club Sunday function. Before he spoke to the gathering, he was eating his lunch and having a few drinks. My wife pointed out that he didn’t look all there. His posture was all over the place, his facial expressions were strange and he had trouble talking to people. Once he was on the podium it was like he went into auto pilot and his well rehearsed patter flowed freely. But there definitely seemed something not quite right. I know he is in his 70’s but there was a lot of older people at this function and l didn’t see anyone else with the same mannerisms or oddities.
Maybe it’s the way he has always been.
I didn’t find him very interesting as he ranted on about his political views when l was more interested in hearing about his footy and media careers.

A couple of months ago we had Sam attend a country footy club Sunday function. Before he spoke to the gathering, he was eating his lunch and having a few drinks. My wife pointed out that he didn’t look all there. His posture was all over the place, his facial expressions were strange and he had trouble talking to people. Once he was on the podium it was like he went into auto pilot and his well rehearsed patter flowed freely.

He spoke about this type of situation on this week's podcast.

He suggested that he doesn't enjoy interaction before he gets on stage to "perform", he prefers to be out the back on his own to get himself ready. Fair enough, I suppose. Everyone prepares differently for 'performances', whether it's on stage, in an interview, doing an exam etc.

I actually thought there was some interesting discussion (about a non-footy topic) this week on human behaviours and interactions. The show could really improve if they actually identify a 'feature topic' and frame some discussion around it, maybe with a guest in the studio or on the phone. But all that requires effort.

ive had to turn it off. its too much in one hit.

Extremists (extreme persons) from either side of politics are just as bad as each other.
Yeah it’s one group of idiots ruining people’s day in the CBD because “climate change is a humanitarian crisis” vs another group of mouth breathers who think abortion is the equivalent of premeditated murder and launch vile verbal attacks on school children.

Yeah it’s one group of idiots ruining people’s day in the CBD because “climate change is a humanitarian crisis” vs another group of mouth breathers who think abortion is the equivalent of premeditated murder and launch vile verbal attacks on school children.

protests are an integral part of a democracy. its a balancing act though.

id like to see the far right do the same (block traffic) and see what sam says

Remove this Banner Ad

Back