Radio 'You cannot be serious' podcast with Sam Newman, Don Scott and Rod Law

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1594097131671.png

It was but Dons horrible sense of rhythm was more annoying than ever.

Yeah doesn’t bother me because sam just calls him a dickhead
I think they will be fine going on more so than I did before though

Would still get mick back ideally

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Yeah doesn’t bother me because sam just calls him a dickhead
I think they will be fine going on more so than I did before though

Would still get mick back ideally
When he interrupted Sam's joke was a real Shut up Don moment.

Yeah he may as well come back now, maybe he will prepare himself better.

When he interrupted Sam's joke was a real Shut up Don moment.

Yeah he may as well come back now, maybe he will prepare himself better.

Mick wont be back, don did cut off sam talking about Slattery and mick in the lifeboats a bit,i got the feeling mick drove the signed apology

sounds like ludby is a dickhead

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
"I've never said anything racist in my life" - He compared Serena Williams to an ape and said an asian man was "not long out of the forrest", and that's not to even mention the blackface incident. Those are just off the top of my head.

He complains about the protest and rightfully so but to blame Daniel Andrews for it and never mention the fact that he repeatedly told people not to attend beforehand and condemned them for doing so after the event is disingenuous at best. Of course no condemnation of Trump who openly encouraged people to flout social distancing and protest against Covid restrictions in their state.

He says he had absolutely nothing to do with the Winmar saga despite agreeing with them on the podcast and saying it had "morphed into something it was not by activists."

All of this was bad enough with Mike challenging him (although he sucked at it at least he tried) but without him it's devolved into Sky after dark territory, and not in a 'so bad it's good' way.

"I've never said anything racist in my life" - He compared Serena Williams to an ape and said an asian man was "not long out of the forrest", and that's not to even mention the blackface incident. Those are just off the top of my head.

He complains about the protest and rightfully so but to blame Daniel Andrews for it and never mention the fact that he repeatedly told people not to attend beforehand and condemned them for doing so after the event is disingenuous at best. Of course no condemnation of Trump who openly encouraged people to flout social distancing and protest against Covid restrictions in their state.

He says he had absolutely nothing to do with the Winmar saga despite agreeing with them on the podcast and saying it had "morphed into something it was not by activists."

All of this was bad enough with Mike challenging him (although he sucked at it at least he tried) but without him it's devolved into Sky after dark territory, and not in a 'so bad it's good' way.

im not as excited about the episode now.

trump could commit murder and admit it, sam would still deny it

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C

Agree with regards to Sam on Trump. Counterpoint is that Victoria is a completely different situation to US (Geographically, state vs nation, population, etc) regardless its a hypocritical stance.
In regard to his own character he is not completely honest with his past actions and speech, given your points. I will say that he is probably over defensive in defending his own character, and rightfully so, given how much abuse he has copped and character assassination over the past few years and weeks. A lot of which what he is saying is taken out of context and not properly understood in my opinion, take those trolls last week who went hur dur Newman racist without listening to the pod.

I think he got to the crux of the matter in his podcast today when he said something like 'treat every person as a person regardless of the race' was his stance which is pretty fair. Whereby some people believe that others should be immune to criticism because of their race (hence accusations of racism) whether the statement/criticism/joke is based upon their race or not. This point is where a lot of the divide in society is, whereby the racist accusation is thrown excessively and unfairly and actually harms the idea of equality.

Agree with regards to Sam on Trump. Counterpoint is that Victoria is a completely different situation to US (Geographically, state vs nation, population, etc) regardless its a hypocritical stance.
In regard to his own character he is not completely honest with his past actions and speech, given your points. I will say that he is probably over defensive in defending his own character, and rightfully so, given how much abuse he has copped and character assassination over the past few years and weeks. A lot of which what he is saying is taken out of context and not properly understood in my opinion, take those trolls last week who went hur dur Newman racist without listening to the pod.

I think he got to the crux of the matter in his podcast today when he said something like 'treat every person as a person regardless of the race' was his stance which is pretty fair. Whereby some people believe that others should be immune to criticism because of their race (hence accusations of racism) whether the statement/criticism/joke is based upon their race or not. This point is where a lot of the divide in society is, whereby the racist accusation is thrown excessively and unfairly and actually harms the idea of equality.

rightly or wrongly i think sam would say none of his actions had racist intentions so therefore weren't racist
so yeah he is probably overly defensive as you say, he has point mick and Don said way worse and every headline is sam v winmar and mick leaving sam, so he did get dragged in

counterpoint would be well you didnt tell them to stop, you could have just cut that bit out before uploading and he did say activists hijacked it, which some didnt like

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants

But by saying he’s colourblind and treats everyone the same he doesn’t take into account the plight and lived experiences of people who don’t look and act like he does which results in him saying things that are offensive to some groups of people. Of course everyone should be treated equally, but not the same - as different minorities and sections of society have different sensitivities. But it’s much easier to just ignore all that and say what you want rather than be thoughtful and considered. He can’t complain about all the blowback he’s receiving now really he made millions from acting like he does and had decades of notoriety. He won. If I were him i’d count my lucky stars I started in the media in the 90’s and not now.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Much to my surprise i really enjoyed Rob Gell. He pretty much shot down all Sams arguments even though Sam said in the first part that he would hold his own with any scientist. Don made me laugh when he went on about the WA rivers and Gell said yes thats his area of expertise.
At the end Sam was going on again about them not being able to do anything to have things changed and Gell goes vote. Yep sure i can see Sam vote for the greenies.

Much to my surprise i really enjoyed Rob Gell. He pretty much shot down all Sams arguments even though Sam said in the first part that he would hold his own with any scientist. Don made me laugh when he went on about the WA rivers and Gell said yes thats his area of expertise.
At the end Sam was going on again about them not being able to do anything to have things changed and Gell goes vote. Yep sure i can see Sam vote for the greenies.

I feel that at least on the podcast sam shows bravado when guests arent there, but when they are he softens up a bit. like when mr evasive channel 7 guy came on. in the hour before sam intimated he'd go hard at him. but it wasnt the case.

for issues like climate change, i think if a person has made up mind on either side, he or she isnt going to change. effectively, its binary:

liberal party/one nation - climate change nothing really to worry about
labor party/greens - it exists and we must do something'

and that's fine.

I didn’t get who was behind the rush with rob gell, they mentioned doing a 3rd part yesterday and didn’t but it was like when they got to an hour with rob everyone was panicked

I found him quite interesting

Didn’t mind sam and dons point of view because it gave him a chance to refute etc

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah must suck having a mate always stay loyal , take you out on the boat, go on your show, help you get open mike guests

What a burden
he's never been on open mike. the number of guests he's got for sheahan you could count on the fingers of one hand and have fingers over.

anyway, it's a straw man argument. no one's queried newman's loyalty to friends. it's his mind numbing dumbness and hypocrisy. this week after gell obliterated him over his years of being a climate denial he claimed he'd never denied climate change. not wonder he lauds trump cos apparently lying and denying are okay.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
he's never been on open mike. the number of guests he's got for sheahan you could count on the fingers of one hand and have fingers over.

anyway, it's a straw man argument. no one's queried newman's loyalty to friends. it's his mind numbing dumbness and hypocrisy. this week after gell obliterated him over his years of being a climate denial he claimed he'd never denied climate change. not wonder he lauds trump cos apparently lying and denying are okay.
Sams never been on Open Mike? Yeah ok

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
I feel that at least on the podcast sam shows bravado when guests arent there, but when they are he softens up a bit. like when mr evasive channel 7 guy came on. in the hour before sam intimated he'd go hard at him. but it wasnt the case.

for issues like climate change, i think if a person has made up mind on either side, he or she isnt going to change. effectively, its binary:

liberal party/one nation - climate change nothing really to worry about
labor party/greens - it exists and we must do something'

and that's fine.
I don't think it's an issue a national government's can solve. By all means work internationally but Australia voting in the greens isn't going to fix the issue, certainly not on a global level.

And that's where your point on lnp VS alp and people's fixed views on it lies. Whether they believe in it or not is it something a national government can fix, or is meant to to fix.
Certainly the corporate world is embracing sustainability, green energy and the like, whether that's hip marketing or an actual difference is another issue.

No ones queried his loyalty to friends ? Except for you questioning him over being a bad friend

He has been on open mike and got Dane Swan I remember for mike and over the course there’s been several others Sam helped with including don Scott

He never denied climate change he argues over wether anything can be done

This is the worst thing about Sam newman , and that’s morons like you who haven’t listened to him for 20 years but come along to be outraged and have 0 facts

Is he a prick? s**t yeah I mean he can rabbit on, he loves trump etc but he doesn’t say half the s**t that gets reported

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I listened to the Rob Gell one today and I thought it was very good. The interviews actually don't need Mike. I was really hoping that they would have gone through with a Part 3 though. Also re-listened to the Bogut interview and thought that was excellent.

Back