New posters, introduce yourselves here

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello big footy.
Long time reader of the site.
Decided to get off my bum and join.
Been following hawks since 1978 (I was 4) and I saw Peter Russo kick a goal over his head from the top of the goal square. I thought it was the best thing ever.
Cheers,
Towmotar.

Hey all, I have been a long time reader of big footy so thought it was about time to make an account!
Have followed the hawks my whole life through ups and downs and have been a member for 10 years!
Looking forward to getting involved in some hawks talk. Cheers hawkers513

Hey all, I have been a long time reader of big footy so thought it was about time to make an account!
Have followed the hawks my whole life through ups and downs and have been a member for 10 years!
Looking forward to getting involved in some hawks talk. Cheers hawkers513
welcome mate looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Hi guys,
Off to a bad start. That should read jenniferHAWKinS. Have to live with that now. Long time reader of big footy and became a Hawk member following the Merger game with the Dees (19 years now). Would pay top dollar to watch Cyril play - all time favourite player! Have a few contacts in and around the club so looking forward to providing the odd piece of good Intel along the way. About to post on the Jed Anderson MIA thread. Go Hawks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,
Off to a bad start. That should read jenniferHAWKinS. Have to live with that now. Long time reader of big footy and became a Hawk member following the Merger game with the Dees (19 years now). Would pay top dollar to watch Cyril play - all time favourite player! Have a few contacts in and around the club so looking forward to providing the odd piece of good Intel along the way. About to post on the Jed Anderson MIA thread. Go Hawks!

Fixed your username for ya.

Hi all,

I've joined this forum as I have a few questions about how the AFL is structured which I don't understand. Anyway a bit about myself first.

I'm from the UK and became interested in Aussie Rules in the late 1980s when there was a weekly highlights show on Saturday morning "Free to Air" TV. You could say that I was a bit of a glory hunter and adopted the Hawks as my team. This show stopped after a couple of years and my interest fell a bit. About 3 years ago I noticed that the AFL was shown on the UK satellite channels I received and I became hooked again. It was good to see the Hawks still flying. I obviously jumped on the right band wagon.

I know precisely no-one who is in the slightest bit interest in Aussie Rules other than a lady from work who is Australia obsessed. However all she knows is the Grand Final is a big thing and is in September.

That's it for now, but if someone could suggest the best thread to post my questions I would be grateful.

Thanks

Jason
@1ugarte30

Hi all,

I've joined this forum as I have a few questions about how the AFL is structured which I don't understand. Anyway a bit about myself first.

I'm from the UK and became interested in Aussie Rules in the late 1980s when there was a weekly highlights show on Saturday morning "Free to Air" TV. You could say that I was a bit of a glory hunter and adopted the Hawks as my team. This show stopped after a couple of years and my interest fell a bit. About 3 years ago I noticed that the AFL was shown on the UK satellite channels I received and I became hooked again. It was good to see the Hawks still flying. I obviously jumped on the right band wagon.

I know precisely no-one who is in the slightest bit interest in Aussie Rules other than a lady from work who is Australia obsessed. However all she knows is the Grand Final is a big thing and is in September.

That's it for now, but if someone could suggest the best thread to post my questions I would be grateful.

Thanks

Jason
@1ugarte30
Welcome mate - first of all you made the right choice, my Dutch brother in law who is an engineer came up with a formula in 2007/08 when he came to Melbourne to live to figure out what team he should support. I told him straight out follow Hawthorn but he didn't want to jump on the bandwagon so to speak. He looked at all Victorian teams, he ruled out Collingwood, Essendon & Carlton because they had won the most premierships, had seen that Hawthorn had done well with some early draft picks and decided 'Melbourne' was the team for him because in a few years he thought they would be just like Hawthorn and they already had a nice little premiership collection themselves. Silly him failed to check to see the last time they actually won a premiership but hey his problem now.

Moral of the story, don't feel bad if you are jumping on the bandwagon, the best teams are what make the game glorious to watch (p.s. do NOT watch the Melbourne vs Brisbane game from last weekedn)!!!

If there is anything we can do to help you learn the game a bit better feel free to ask away. If you are trying to find other ways to watch more games regularly I believe some of our posters can help you out with tips on legal overseas streaming of AFL matches.

Welcome mate - first of all you made the right choice, my Dutch brother in law who is an engineer came up with a formula in 2007/08 when he came to Melbourne to live to figure out what team he should support. I told him straight out follow Hawthorn but he didn't want to jump on the bandwagon so to speak. He looked at all Victorian teams, he ruled out Collingwood, Essendon & Carlton because they had won the most premierships, had seen that Hawthorn had done well with some early draft picks and decided 'Melbourne' was the team for him because in a few years he thought they would be just like Hawthorn and they already had a nice little premiership collection themselves. Silly him failed to check to see the last time they actually won a premiership but hey his problem now.

Moral of the story, don't feel bad if you are jumping on the bandwagon, the best teams are what make the game glorious to watch (p.s. do NOT watch the Melbourne vs Brisbane game from last weekedn)!!!

If there is anything we can do to help you learn the game a bit better feel free to ask away. If you are trying to find other ways to watch more games regularly I believe some of our posters can help you out with tips on legal overseas streaming of AFL matches.

Thanks.

The coverage in the UK is not too bad with 3 or 4 live games over Friday / Saturday / Sunday on ESPN or BT Sport. It's just the time difference which can be challenging especially after a few Friday night drinks. I managed to catch the last 10 mins of the demolition of a sorry Carlton on my phone over lunchtime. The wonders of the internet!

Anyway, the questions which are troubling me are:

1) With 18 teams in the league, why do you play only 22 games? Who decides which teams you play once and which games you play twice?
2) Why do you not play all your "home" games in once place

You probably think that these are the questions of a UK soccer fan and you would be right. I assume the playing of games in a shared stadium makes good financial sense and helps to spread the ethos of the game. I would be interested to know what people think though, do you like playing in different places or would you like your own stadium.

Thanks.

The coverage in the UK is not too bad with 3 or 4 live games over Friday / Saturday / Sunday on ESPN or BT Sport. It's just the time difference which can be challenging especially after a few Friday night drinks. I managed to catch the last 10 mins of the demolition of a sorry Carlton on my phone over lunchtime. The wonders of the internet!

Anyway, the questions which are troubling me are:

1) With 18 teams in the league, why do you play only 22 games? Who decides which teams you play once and which games you play twice?
2) Why do you not play all your "home" games in once place

You probably think that these are the questions of a UK soccer fan and you would be right. I assume the playing of games in a shared stadium makes good financial sense and helps to spread the ethos of the game. I would be interested to know what people think though, do you like playing in different places or would you like your own stadium.

Welcome jlew :) It goes without saying you have picked the right team :thumbsu: :D

There is a thread here on the Hawthorn board for general questions so that might be a good place to post your queries, Here's the link:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...warrant-a-thread-thread-part-2.856396/page-58

To briefly answer the two you have posed above.

1) The AFL decides who you play once and who you play twice. It's based on ladder position so if you finish near the top of the ladder you will play the other teams at the top of the ladder twice and the lower teams only once the next season. We play 22 games because that is the length of the season. When there were only 12 teams everyone played everyone twice, but since the introduction of the extra teams (a whole story in itself!) the season has remained the same length so we are now unable to play everyone twice. I can't see the season being lengthened anytime soon for a variety of reasons (encroachment into the cricket season, the players don't want a longer season etc.)

2) You are referring to our matches in Tassie I presume. It is very financially beneficial for us to play four games in Tassie and that is the main reason we do it (large sponsorship deal from the Tasmanian government). Once upon a time we all had our home grounds (which I personally preferred) but as you suggested it make more sense financially to share the big stadiums, well that's what the AFL tells us anyway.

No doubt some others will have something to add but that is my interpretation of the situation.

hey guys massive hawks fan and nw to forum

have a quck question have purchases tickets to my first ever hawks game at the g (im from qld) for the geelong game on the 15th of august. I have got tickets in section p20 in the great southern stand. Just wanting to know is this a geelong area, hawthorn area or mixed? thank you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back