- Further enhanced facilities for our men’s program
- Punt Road Oval will be re-sized to the same dimensions as the MCG
- The redevelopment will comfortably accommodate 8,000 spectators
- An improved eduction space for the Korin Gamadji Institute
- A home to the Bachar Houli Foundation
- Quality classroom space for the Melbourne Indigenous Transition School
- Underground car parking
- Enhanced and useable Yarra Park space for community use
The ground is to be enlarged from its present size to that of one of the biggest grounds in the AFL, while over the years the outer boundary fences along Punt Road and Brunton Ave have been pushed in (reducing the amount of spectator space). The ground legally has a capacity for 6000 now (or 3000 according to Austadiums). The ground is rapidly becoming a modern day Glenferrie Oval, so it begs the question of where they are going to accommodate 8000 spectators? Piggyback or Zoom perhaps. It sounds like they are promising the world, but it will be interesting to see how it is delivered.

The ground is to be enlarged from its present size to that of one of the biggest grounds in the AFL, while over the years the outer boundary fences along Punt Road and Brunton Ave have been pushed in (reducing the amount of spectator space). The ground legally has a capacity for 6000 now (or 3000 according to Austadiums). The ground is rapidly becoming a modern day Glenferrie Oval, so it begs the question of where they are going to accommodate 8000 spectators? Piggyback or Zoom perhaps. It sounds like they are promising the world, but it will be interesting to see how it is delivered.
What they should do is move the whole oval, grandstand and facilities closer to the MCG by 30, 50m

- Equitable, state-of-the-art facilities for our women’s program
- Further enhanced facilities for our men’s program
- Punt Road Oval will be re-sized to the same dimensions as the MCG
- The redevelopment will comfortably accommodate 8,000 spectators
- An improved eduction space for the Korin Gamadji Institute
- A home to the Bachar Houli Foundation
- Quality classroom space for the Melbourne Indigenous Transition School
- Underground car parking
- Enhanced and useable Yarra Park space for community use

Not a criticism, but another refurb to milk the available taxpayer funds, including those to pay off the behind closed doors GF deal/stitch up.

went to punt road today for AFLW. The worst footy ground I have been to to watch an AFL/AFLW match. Dreadful facilities
  • no parking
  • not enough seating
  • fans standing ontop of eachother
  • crap lights
  • glitchy scoreboard and in the wrong area. Why have it behind the crowd.
  • too congested
  • too narrow pathways
  • half the ground blocked off

went to punt road today for AFLW. The worst footy ground I have been to to watch an AFL/AFLW match. Dreadful facilities
  • no parking
  • not enough seating
  • crap lights
  • too congested
  • too narrow pathways
Literally can't change most of that, they just need to play somewhere else.

Literally can't change most of that, they just need to play somewhere else.
They almost might be better off handing Punt Road over to Melbourne FC as a pure training facility and Richmond take over Groschs Oval where there's more room and use the $65 mil to build a new facility outright.

• no parking
  • not enough seating
  • crap lights
  • too congested
  • too narrow pathways
I went to RSEA Park (Moorabbin) yesterday to watch the Pies and the Saints. I have to say it's probably got the best facilities for AFLW in Melbourne (bar probably Whitten Oval) in terms of location, adequate grandstand seating, a proper scoreboard, video screen and lighting. If Victoria Park could get a decent scoreboard installed and Arden Street could get some grandstand seating (it's an all standing venue) they'd would be up there as well.

Hands down the worst venue I feel in Melbourne for AFLW is either Ikon park (despite all the money being pumped into that dump) or Casey Fields (Cause of it's shocking location).

I went to RSEA Park (Moorabbin) yesterday to watch the Pies and the Saints. I have to say it's probably got the best facilities for AFLW in Melbourne (bar probably Whitten Oval) in terms of location, adequate grandstand seating, a proper scoreboard, video screen and lighting. If Victoria Park could get a decent scoreboard installed and Arden Street could get some grandstand seating (it's an all standing venue) they'd would be up there as well.

Hands down the worst venue I feel in Melbourne for AFLW is either Ikon park (despite all the money being pumped into that dump) or Casey Fields (Cause of it's shocking location).
Casey Fields is completely understandable being litteraly in the centre of nowhere. What is it that you don't like about Ikon Park?

Casey Fields is completely understandable being litteraly in the centre of nowhere. What is it that you don't like about Ikon Park?
This is based on when I have been there to watch games, but I found it to be quite soulless venue and also quite rundown (especially that Heroes Stand).

Although I will also be honest that a lot of it has to do with my deep seated hatred of Carlton.

This is based on when I have been there to watch games, but I found it to be quite soulless venue and also quite rundown (especially that Heroes Stand).

Although I will also be honest that a lot of it has to do with my deep seated hatred of Carlton.
I agree with the Heroes Stand. It is very rundown and needs redevelopment- could be like the proposed upgrade stand at Punt Road

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the Heroes Stand. It is very rundown and needs redevelopment- could be like the proposed upgrade stand at Punt Road
It’s where all the corporate boxes are. Though I doubt they’re used for many AFLW games. Since we moved over the other side a lot of coin is made renting out office space on the side.

There's considerable anger over the proposed demolition of the Jack Dyer Stand.

The Jack Dyer Stand at Richmond's Punt Road Oval is of state level, national, and world heritage significance as one of the earliest curvilinear grandstands ever built in Victoria, most likely one of the earliest anywhere on earth, the second-oldest remnant such structure in the state, and for being highly typical of the Victorian (meaning by geography) and Edwardian (by style) interpretations of the form.

The Jack Dyer Stand is further significant to the state of Victoria as;

· It is the largest and most architecturally significant remnant pre-WWII structure at any former VFL venue, and the largest and most architecturally significant grandstand ever built at a VFL venue outside of the MCG.

· It is the oldest and most architecturally significant grandstand structure within the Yarra Park Sporting precinct, a title it has held for over 60 years following the 1966 demolition of the 1906 Grey Smith Stand at the MCG.

· It is a major public work by the important early architectural firm of Thomas Watts and Sons, whose private works are represented extensively on the Victorian Heritage Register, and for its associations with two of the three most significant architects in the history of grandstand design in the state in Thomas Watts and Frank Stapley.

· It is the only unprotected and intact Edwardian grandstand in Melbourne, and by far the largest, most intact and architecturally elaborate of all the state’s remnant Edwardian grandstands.

· It contributes significantly to view lines from within and towards Yarra Park - a place already found to be of major significance to the state for its foundational status among the state’s recreation reserves.

· It is representative of the built form associated with the major wave of construction within the originally gazetted parklands, as driven by the growth in popularity of the Victorian Football League in the early years of the 20th century, and is significant for being a highly typical example of that built form.

· The Jack Dyer Stand and Punt Road Oval are of historical and social significance to the state of Victoria for their associations with the development of the Richmond Cricket Club, the Victorian Football League and one of its most significant participant clubs - the Richmond Football Club, and for their consequent association with some of the most important historical figures in the development of the two most popular spectator sports of cricket and Australian rules football within the state.

· Both the stand and the wider place – Punt Road Oval are more architecturally, historically and socially significant to the state on the above bases than the Victorian Heritage Registered ovals and grandstands at the former South Melbourne Cricket Ground and Victoria Park, Abbotsford or any such VHR-registered stands in regional Victoria, and therefore warrant the same level of protection.

There's considerable anger over the proposed demolition of the Jack Dyer Stand.

The Jack Dyer Stand at Richmond's Punt Road Oval is of state level, national, and world heritage significance as one of the earliest curvilinear grandstands ever built in Victoria, most likely one of the earliest anywhere on earth, the second-oldest remnant such structure in the state, and for being highly typical of the Victorian (meaning by geography) and Edwardian (by style) interpretations of the form.

The Jack Dyer Stand is further significant to the state of Victoria as;

· It is the largest and most architecturally significant remnant pre-WWII structure at any former VFL venue, and the largest and most architecturally significant grandstand ever built at a VFL venue outside of the MCG.

· It is the oldest and most architecturally significant grandstand structure within the Yarra Park Sporting precinct, a title it has held for over 60 years following the 1966 demolition of the 1906 Grey Smith Stand at the MCG.

· It is a major public work by the important early architectural firm of Thomas Watts and Sons, whose private works are represented extensively on the Victorian Heritage Register, and for its associations with two of the three most significant architects in the history of grandstand design in the state in Thomas Watts and Frank Stapley.

· It is the only unprotected and intact Edwardian grandstand in Melbourne, and by far the largest, most intact and architecturally elaborate of all the state’s remnant Edwardian grandstands.

· It contributes significantly to view lines from within and towards Yarra Park - a place already found to be of major significance to the state for its foundational status among the state’s recreation reserves.

· It is representative of the built form associated with the major wave of construction within the originally gazetted parklands, as driven by the growth in popularity of the Victorian Football League in the early years of the 20th century, and is significant for being a highly typical example of that built form.

· The Jack Dyer Stand and Punt Road Oval are of historical and social significance to the state of Victoria for their associations with the development of the Richmond Cricket Club, the Victorian Football League and one of its most significant participant clubs - the Richmond Football Club, and for their consequent association with some of the most important historical figures in the development of the two most popular spectator sports of cricket and Australian rules football within the state.

· Both the stand and the wider place – Punt Road Oval are more architecturally, historically and socially significant to the state on the above bases than the Victorian Heritage Registered ovals and grandstands at the former South Melbourne Cricket Ground and Victoria Park, Abbotsford or any such VHR-registered stands in regional Victoria, and therefore warrant the same level of protection.
Considerable anger from who?

For the record there's not much anger from the Richmond faithful or the relevant heritage authority. Even Jack Dyer's family want it demolished.

If it's also the most intact stand of its type and era I'd be mortified for those lesser intact.

Even of the Edwardian era grandstands that still remain, it's not bigger than the Gardiner Stand.

And it would be more accurate to say the design is derivative rather than typical. Totally lacking any intricate details worthy of the "most architecturally significant remnant pre-WWII structure at any former VFL venue" conversation--see the Fitzroy Grandstand for comparison.

Considerable anger from who?

For the record there's not much anger from the Richmond faithful or the relevant heritage authority. Even Jack Dyer's family want it demolished.

If it's also the most intact stand of its type and era I'd be mortified for those lesser intact.
That's rubbish, plenty of people want it kept and restored.

I am sooooo looking forward to the tearing down of that non-heritage listed pile of diseased wood.

It's kind of a similar situation to what North Melbourne went through ~15 years ago. Except the grandstand at Arden Street actually was heritage listed, and they didn't replace it with a single seat... which in turn reminds me of Carlton's fabulous new warehouse.

Definitely puts Richmond's facilities-to-be in perspective. Like wow, they're actually going to increase capacity, and they aren't going to move into the middle of nowhere? Impressive! Something tells me Tiger supporters don't know how lucky they are.

You should be on the Tassy board and off the Richmond board.
This is the stadiums board, mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back