Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat - BBQ, Other Food, Cats, Whatever

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea where to put this but RIP Shane Warne, bloke was one of my childhood heros proably the same for alot of people around my age.
I'm not even into cricket but this has shaken me. Bloke was a legend and a national icon you just assumed would always be around.

Horrible news, RIP.

I'm not even into cricket but this has shaken me. Bloke was a legend and a national icon you just assumed would always be around.

Horrible news, RIP.
I was obsessed with cricket as a kid, nowadays its a bit meh for me. Probably because Warnie retired in 07. He was everything that makes watching sport what it is. If Cricket was an american sport theres no doubt he would be up there with the Jordans and the Woods

I was obsessed with cricket as a kid, nowadays its a bit meh for me. Probably because Warnie retired in 07. He was everything that makes watching sport what it is. If Cricket was an american sport theres no doubt he would be up there with the Jordans and the Woods
Indeed. I just said to my wife, he was the Michael Jordan of cricket.
Doubt we'll see anything like him again.

52! Christ what a horrible thing to happen. RIP Warne. I’ll never see a better player for Australia
With the amount of pressure on any Australian athlete now in the media, I doubt we will ever see a personality on the sporting field like him ever again either. First thing I saw this morning when I woke up, not even sure if its hit me yet tbh

With the amount of pressure on any Australian athlete now in the media, I doubt we will ever see a personality on the sporting field like him ever again either. First thing I saw this morning when I woke up, not even sure if its hit me yet tbh
I had the same reaction Mike Gatting had to Warne's first ball in England

When anybody wanted to learn leg spin, you listened to Warney and Warney alone, not many who were more talented in their craft no matter the field.

Was a massive inspiration to me and I'm so ******* sad rn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re not wrong. American athletes are allowed to celebrate their achievements. They are not all everyone’s cup of tea, but it contributes enormously to the show. And sport is entertainment so the best athletes should feel free to act like super stars if they want. It only brings more visibility to the sport, creates bigger rivalries and sporting stories.

For some reason Australian culture combined with sports media that are not much more then gossip press shoot down any sportsman or woman that doesn’t act appropriately humble or something. I’m not sure why but it does mean that we lose some of the glamour of the show.

I was a cricket tragic before Warne started in the team, but he was the most entertaining player of that team ever. That plus his larger than life personality has probably done much more on its own than anything done by Cricket Australia to bring viewers to the sport. A lot of people became Warne fans as little kids, and many stay fans for life.

You’re not wrong. American athletes are allowed to celebrate their achievements. They are not all everyone’s cup of tea, but it contributes enormously to the show. And sport is entertainment so the best athletes should feel free to act like super stars if they want. It only brings more visibility to the sport, creates bigger rivalries and sporting stories.

For some reason Australian culture combined with sports media that are not much more then gossip press shoot down any sportsman or woman that doesn’t act appropriately humble or something. I’m not sure why but it does mean that we lose some of the glamour of the show.

I was a cricket tragic before Warne started in the team, but he was the most entertaining player of that team ever. That plus his larger than life personality has probably done much more on its own than anything done by Cricket Australia to bring viewers to the sport. A lot of people became Warne fans as little kids, and many stay fans for life.
Tall poppy syndrome. No other country has it to the extent we do, firmly entrenched in Australian culture.

If Warney was American, he's probably wind up President

Its a genuine shame, in america they dont force their athletes to all be the same. Nice people are nice, arrogant people are arrogant and you can like whatever you want. In the AFL and the Cricket team at current its 1000 generic blokes/blokettes and then a handful of 'personalities' who dont even hold a candle to what Warne brought to a tv screen. Your spot on though, you can have shitty fireworks, bat flips, names on shirts and all that other s**t and spend millions of dollars on advertising, and it wont even come close to what Warne did

Speaking of legends, sounds like the label clearly applied to Warne. Rest In Peace- far too early.
Mate honestly its not at all wrong to say that in australia he was Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretsky/Tiger Woods etc. Any kid who grew up between 1985 and 2010 grew up trying be him in the backyard and nearly ******* ya shoulder trying to work out how the hell he bowled a flipper or a wrongun

Its a genuine shame, in america they dont force their athletes to all be the same. Nice people are nice, arrogant people are arrogant and you can like whatever you want. In the AFL and the Cricket team at current its 1000 generic blokes/blokettes and then a handful of 'personalities' who dont even hold a candle to what Warne brought to a tv screen. Your spot on though, you can have shitty fireworks, bat flips, names on shirts and all that other sh*t and spend millions of dollars on advertising, and it wont even come close to what Warne did
I was trying to think who is left in the AFL who is a genuine personality? Probably Gawn really - and he is still the nice guy type which is fine since he’s like that already, but we don’t really have any peacock villains amongst the top players and they are kind of fun to have around because you either adore them or hate them. I liked that Gawn does a tongue-in-cheek ego thing, even though it’s half joking. I liked that he said he would pick playing in a premiership over attending the birth of his son. It was funny, and probably more than half true. But it’s nothing like the stars and villains of international sport. I like having them around whether you worship them or hate them. It becomes part of the show.

In Australia anyone who does anything outside the box gets pretty universally derided as a flog - and then the whole drama gets buried under earnest discussions about mental health. I wonder whether anyone considers the mental health impacts of our pressure to make everyone act in a certain way? I know for a fact it doesn’t help mine

Actually AA to give you the perfect context, Warne used to completely destroy the english, for like 15 years. Yet he was as popular there. They used to sing to him 'we wish you were english' everytime. Theres gonna be widespread devastation in england, india really anywhere that follows cricket

Basically before he came along legspin bowling was dead, it was boring and no one cared about it. Within a couple of years of him starting everyone wanted to be a leg spinner. Its hard to compare it but its like in NFL terms he made the punter the coolest position on the field.

Yea I don’t know cricket. But I see people throwing around names like MJ/99/Tiger, and it’s clear he was a generational talent. So young. Very sad.

Yea I don’t know cricket. But I see people throwing around names like MJ/99/Tiger, and it’s clear he was a generational talent. So young. Very sad.
He's our Kobe but honestly bigger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back