Remove this Banner Ad

dee_mac

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Who here is an MCC member and willing to give me a few pointers? I'm now a restricted member and since not playing footy anymore am going to start making use of it. I'm heading along on Thursday night and have a couple of balcony passes. Where are the best places to sit (walk up and reserved), best bars etc.? How do I start making the most of this membership?

TIA

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who here is an MCC member and willing to give me a few pointers? I'm now a restricted member and since not playing footy anymore am going to start making use of it. I'm heading along on Thursday night and have a couple of balcony passes. Where are the best places to sit (walk up and reserved), best bars etc.? How do I start making the most of this membership?

TIA
I am, but I explore very little. I just go to the ground level, sit on the wing and head to the Blazer Bar for some pints at HT - and often watch the third quarter there. The parma at the Hugh Trumble Bar goes alright too pre-game

NorthcoteDee

Senior List
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne

TIA
Congratulations ... I've been a full member for years ... yes, I'm really old. Level 2 is IMHO the best viewing area.

Quite a few good bars ... Blazer Bar is fine ... level 2, there's the Long Room, but you need to be 'togged up' to get in there so it's a bit w#nky, Percy Beames Bar, Frank Grey Bar (Level 3), Robert Flower Bar (Level 4), particularly on a balmy night ... Perhaps check them out in turn. The Bullring on the lower level is usually a bit crowded.

If I see you there, don't forget, the first round is on you !!

dee_mac

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I am, but I explore very little. I just go to the ground level, sit on the wing and head to the Blazer Bar for some pints at HT - and often watch the third quarter there. The parma at the Hugh Trumble Bar goes alright too pre-game
Thanks mate. I'm the same as you to this point, other than going to the Jim Stynes Grill once a year or so. I think I need to go to a neutral game and just wander around and explore but being regional attending a neutral game is rarely a priority. cheers

dee_mac

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Congratulations ... I've been a full member for years ... yes, I'm really old. Level 2 is IMHO the best viewing area.

Quite a few good bars ... Blazer Bar is fine ... level 2, there's the Long Room, but you need to be 'togged up' to get in there so it's a bit w#nky, Percy Beames Bar, Frank Grey Bar (Level 3), Robert Flower Bar (Level 4), particularly on a balmy night ... Perhaps check them out in turn. The Bullring on the lower level is usually a bit crowded.

Thanks for that. I'm familiar enough with the Bullring bar. Might have to venture upwards tomorrow night! I'll buy you a beer for sure. Just look for someone who looks like they're from the country

Crimson Azure

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2007
Mariana Trench
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Lamb on the spit

My old man has been a member for around 65 years. I think now he only pays a token fee of $15 or so each year now (since he hit 50 years I think). I became a member (junior restricted) as a 16 and progressed to a restricted member but when it came to full membership in 2000 I gave it up as it was going to cost me two weeks wage and at that stage I was going to 1-2 games a year.

Have you been to the restaurant? It ain't cheap that's for sure. Also, do you still get into finals free with your membership? I remember going to the prelim finals every year in the 90's as I didn't have to pay to get in.

Put my name down again in 2010 so I'm still quite a few years off getting back in.

ImissFrosty

Tout Oublier
Mar 4, 2020
home
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Fighting Furies Atlanta Reign (OWL)
happy with Banchero Scythe94? Without paying too much attention i reckon Holmgren is better

Dyson Daniels the Aussie went pick 8 to New Orleans which is cool. He's really ******* good

Scythe94

100-7 🏆
Aug 12, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
happy with Banchero Scythe94? Without paying too much attention i reckon Holmgren is better

Dyson Daniels the Aussie went pick 8 to New Orleans which is cool. He's really ******* good
Holmgren may end up being a total stud, but too much risk for Orlando to take him at Pick 1. They desperately need a go-to scorer, so while surprising, Banchero looks like the right option.

Good fit for Daniels too

ImissFrosty

Tout Oublier
Mar 4, 2020
home
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Fighting Furies Atlanta Reign (OWL)
Holmgren may end up being a total stud, but too much risk for Orlando to take him at Pick 1. They desperately need a go-to scorer, so while surprising, Banchero looks like the right option.

Good fit for Daniels too
OKC are ******* OP, they need to restrict how many picks you can have. They already got Giddey, Shai and Dort, add 3 guns including a pick 2 ******* spiderman. then 3 more next year, the year after, year after. They'll probably trade some but ******* hell if they do it right they should have a dynasty

Crimson Azure

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2007
Mariana Trench
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Lamb on the spit
B4373E39-5AE3-47DB-8E6E-41B956BE6922.jpeg

NorthcoteDee

Senior List
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
My old man has been a member for around 65 years. I think now he only pays a token fee of $15 or so each year now (since he hit 50 years I think). I became a member (junior restricted) as a 16 and progressed to a restricted member but when it came to full membership in 2000 I gave it up as it was going to cost me two weeks wage and at that stage I was going to 1-2 games a year.

Have you been to the restaurant? It ain't cheap that's for sure. Also, do you still get into finals free with your membership? I remember going to the prelim finals every year in the 90's as I didn't have to pay to get in.

Put my name down again in 2010 so I'm still quite a few years off getting back in.
There are now 3 membership categories ... First stage is provisional, which allows members access to all games other than certain big games such as Anzac Day/Anzac Eve/QB and of course the finals. Second stage is restricted, which allows access to all matches other than the GF. Third stage is full membership.

So, you'd be a few years off provisional membership. And, at a guess, another 7-10 years off restricted membership. And another 15 or so years off full membership.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crimson Azure

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2007
Mariana Trench
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Lamb on the spit
How did it turn out?
Good. The flat was a bit dryer than I like but that was my fault as got stuck in a zoom meeting and went about 45 minutes past the time I should have wrapped it. Point was still awesome though.

Quality of meat was good but I’d still take the king island brisket I’ve been doing. Will try their wagyu brisket though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad