Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat - BBQ, Other Food, Cats, Whatever

Remove this Banner Ad

For one reason it allows government to redo the constitution. Could you imagine what we might end up with in the current climate?

lionel hutz simpsons GIF

People imagine we'd get the above. The reality is below.

Animated GIF
I do love Hank Scorpio, so I have mixed feelings on this

I'm in a 70s rock music FB group.

A topic was songs about cheating. Several peeps posted Your Cheating Heart. It's a freaking country/western song released in 1952!! Nothing 70s rock music about it .... How annoying!! It's kinda ruined my day.

Hopefully the Dees win tonight, which might help me get over that annoyance.

A topic was songs about cheating. Several peeps posted Your Cheating Heart. It's a freaking country/western song released in 1952!! Nothing 70s rock music about it .... How annoying!! It's kinda ruined my day.

Maybe they are trying to tell you something? Nothing like a bit of Hank Williams to get ya' juices flowing. And if we lose tonight you can console yourself while you learn the words of "there's a tear in my beer". :);):cool:;)

The Pina Colada Song and Dirty Work come to mind.

Also the entire catalogue of Fleetwood Mac

Anyone remember the ad of a guy on a wood life raft who is dreaming of a steak with cheese on it and when he gets rescued they say 'you must be starving!' and he responds with, 'couldn't possible fit another thing in.'

Trying to find the ad or at least what it was about. Can't remember if it was for beef or cheese.

Anyone remember the ad of a guy on a wood life raft who is dreaming of a steak with cheese on it and when he gets rescued they say 'you must be starving!' and he responds with, 'couldn't possible fit another thing in.'

Trying to find the ad or at least what it was about. Can't remember if it was for beef or cheese.
This it?

or possibly this

100% fake "Part Time." is a meme line from Crystal Skull.

In any case, no idea why they're making another Indiana Jones movie. Who wants to watch an 80 year old Ford pretend to be an action hero? How did they not their lesson with the last one?

100% fake "Part Time." is a meme line from Crystal Skull.

In any case, no idea why they're making another Indiana Jones movie. Who wants to watch an 80 year old Ford pretend to be an action hero? How did they not their lesson with the last one?

Trying to find GF tickets been a nightmare so far, from what I can tell there's no room for public tickets meaning I'll have to buy them off a scalper or get one of those big packages that costs 2000 bucks, any suggestion?

Trying to find GF tickets been a nightmare so far, from what I can tell there's no room for public tickets meaning I'll have to buy them off a scalper or get one of those big packages that costs 2000 bucks, any suggestion?
Send me 2000 dollars then await my further instructions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to give me the duck ragu recipe I'm waiting for first.
Right. This recipe can easily be halved - a little goes a long way.

Anyways get 4 duck Maryland thingies, and chop a carrot, a celery stalk and an onion. Doesn’t have to be a fine dice - you’re going to chuck them later in the school of attempting to look posh cooking.

Combine the duck, carrot, celery, onion, a small head of garlic chopped in half (don’t worry about removing the skin, 6 or so thyme sprigs and a fresh bay leaf. Or two. Doesn’t matter. Stick them in a bowl or some kind of container and pour over a bottle of a full-bodied red wine like maybe a cab sav or something. Also chuck in a teaspoon of whole pepper corns. No idea whatsoever if they really to change the taste, but this seems to be a thing with red wine marinades so yeah. Also if you have a couple of juniper berries, and you like a juniper flavour, belt them a bit with a heavy thing and chuck them in too.

Leave it soaking overnight, or do it in the morning and give it at least 4 hours.

Strain out the duck and vegetables, reserving the strained marinade. Pick out the duck from the vegetables - they will have gone an interesting purple colour only with some light skin disease type patches where a carrot piece or something got stuck to them. Dry them off as best you can and season with salt and pepper. They will still spit like a camel when seared in oil what with still being a bit damp, but wear long sleeves and let someone else clean the stovetop afterwards.

Heat some oil in a large, deep frying pan with a decent fitting lid, to smoking point, and sear the ducks for a couple of minutes each side or until well coloured. Dodge the rainshower of boiling oil particles spitting around the kitchen. Remove and set aside your duck legs. If there is more than a tablespoon of duck fat in the pan (likely) remove all but a tablespoon. I tip it down the sink and my partner goes bonkers because eventually we have to get a guy come around to unblock the gully trap, except for the time when I tried to do it and then we had to get two swearing guys to work for half a day to fix the problem.

Reduce the fat to medium heat, add all your vegetables which will probably spit also just to get in on the action. Saute for 5 minutes or until noticeably golden brown, which is hard to notice since they will have gone pretty purple also. Neil Perry is silent on how you do this but winging it seems to work.

Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and stir around a bit. Then add 3 tablespoons of flour and stir around for half a minute so you don’t end up with raw flour which is apparently not good. Raise the heat to high again, chuck in your reserved marinade with the bay leaves and thyme and pepper and optional juniper. Bring to the boil while scraping any nice brown bits from the bottom. Boil for about 5 minutes, then add 750 mls of chicken stock, plus the duck and vegetables. Bring to the boil, then turn right down to a gentle simmer, cover with the lid and simmer for 2 and a half hours.

Use a slotted spoon to remove duck, vegetables and whatnot from the pan. This task is annoying. Simmer the liquid lid off for another 20 minutes or so until it is reduced and thickened. You might skim a bit if the duck has made it very fatty.

Tear or shred the duck meat. I include the skin, but some people find the texture too fatty, so skip the skin if this is the case. Fold the duck through the sauce. You can also fold the vegetables through the sauce too (sans thyme stalks, bay leaves etc). I don’t mind doing this. It looks more posh if you leave the vegetables out though.

Cook some pappardelle to al dente. 400g is a generous 4 people thingy. Once cooked lift the papadelle with tongs and dump it in with the duck, tossing a bit so that the sauce coats the pappadelle. Divide between four bowls - pasta bowls are nice - like those sort of flat bowls that are a nuisance when they are all you have clean to have a serve of cocoa pops. By all means use Parmesan And definitely fresh ground pepper.

EDIT: definitely check for seasoning before serving. It will need some salt to taste. Salt is frowned upon by some but it’s an essential and anything you cook at home probably has one eighth the salt and sugar of almost every takeaway meal.

Last edited:
Anyone a monkey magic fan?

thought it was the greatest show in the history of mankind as a kid in the 80’s.
Brilliant show! Fantastic dubbing. Everyone at school would get hold of a toothpick and colour it black with yellow sections at each end and stick it behind their ear as a magical staff

Watching the AFLW match tonight, I could not help thinking that the old saying "the early bird catches the worm" was not applicable. It was more a case of "the second mouse gets the cheese".

I should probably have posted this on another thread, but it was a case of ceebs ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back