Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat - BBQ, Other Food, Cats, Whatever

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty damn good

Feel like a fat campaigner today though

Glad to hear that it was really tasty.

Feeling like a fat campaigner , for me, will happen in a month and a half time as well, with Chrissie coming up. Only that time it will be a food coma gauntlet. Gonna eat til I explode, then I'll do it again.

Glad to hear that it was really tasty.

Feeling like a fat campaigner , for me, will happen in a month and a half time as well, with Chrissie coming up. Only that time it will be a food coma gauntlet. Gonna eat til I explode, then I'll do it again.
Make sure you take photos!
1667697014238.jpeg

Any cat tips, MM?
Well they are rather independent so best bet is to try to be patient. Don't try and force the issue, let it organically eventuate. Let them sniff and lick you, they are trying to scan you. It's kinda like the wands in HP: you don't choose your cat, the cat chooses you.

When the time is right, buy a cat tower or two. They are much safer on a higher vantage point. Also give them plenty high spaces and areas up top to escape if they feel threatened.

Research what food they like and medicine they can tolerate. Change the food according to the seasons because cats require a lot of fluids/water from foods, especially in the summertime and provide ample sources of water around the house and a catio. Don't overfeed them and provide them with plenty of toys/entertainment to keep them preoccupied. A busy cat is a tired cat and they are less likely to misbehave if they are tired.

As far as grooming is concerned, they are much more wiggly than dogs in that department in that they get stressed much more e.g. they'll try to scratch/bite you. If you see them starting to pant due to stress or looking to attack you, stop immediately, let them de-stress

Most importantly, keep them safe. They are your companion and they will keep you company always. When they purr and trill it is one of the best sounds in the world.

Also, don't need to tell you, but if you really love your cat you make sure that they are de-sexed i.e. spayed/neutered, for obvious reasons.

I recently found out that my ex wife is related to the late (great) Norm Smith via her father. So obviously my kids are also related to him (Norm Smith) ... which is beaut because they are all Demons' supporters.

Conversely my ex wife is not interested in the connection. She hates football. In fact she pretty much hates everyone and everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any cat tips, MM?

Well they are rather independent so best bet is to try to be patient. Don't try and force the issue, let it organically eventuate. Let them sniff and lick you, they are trying to scan you. It's kinda like the wands in HP: you don't choose your cat, the cat chooses you.

When the time is right, buy a cat tower or two. They are much safer on a higher vantage point. Also give them plenty high spaces and areas up top to escape if they feel threatened.

Research what food they like and medicine they can tolerate. Change the food according to the seasons because cats require a lot of fluids/water from foods, especially in the summertime and provide ample sources of water around the house and a catio. Don't overfeed them and provide them with plenty of toys/entertainment to keep them preoccupied. A busy cat is a tired cat and they are less likely to misbehave if they are tired.

As far as grooming is concerned, they are much more wiggly than dogs in that department in that they get stressed much more e.g. they'll try to scratch/bite you. If you see them starting to pant due to stress or looking to attack you, stop immediately, let them de-stress

Most importantly, keep them safe. They are your companion and they will keep you company always. When they purr and trill it is one of the best sounds in the world.

Also, don't need to tell you, but if you really love your cat you make sure that they are de-sexed i.e. spayed/neutered, for obvious reasons.

Also an addendum: Never ever declaw any cat. For a few reasons

1) Claws are like the second part of your finger. Declawing is like amputating your first or second knuckle.

2) Claws provide protection when they go on the litter box/toilet to go. Taking away their claws means that's its rather painful to step on litter and they are much more likely to urinate and defecate anywhere but the box because it reminds them of a painful experience.

3) By declawing them you are removing the first 2-3 lines of their defence and they are much more likely to bite you instead.

You can trim their nails when they get too long that's fine. That's like cutting your nails when they are getting too long or manky. Declawing them is a no. There are even places that outlaw that barbaric practice.

If you have issues with your cats claws, purchase a scratching post or two as like their punching bag/ nail file.

Keeping in Melbourne stereotypes has anywhere tried Penfolds Grange in the past?
Im not a wine expert but id say id more of a snob, I love Coonawarra Estate Merlot, Devil Lair Cab Say (Margret River) .

The region does a lot for weather I buy or not, but any one actually tried good Pendfolds or Henschke? either if its well aged or where it comes from but love to hear from you

Last edited:
Keeping in Melbourne stereotypes has anywhere tried Penfolds Grange in the past?
Im not a wine expert but id say id more of a snob, I love Coonawarra Estate Merlot, Devil Lair Cab Say (Margret River) .

The region does a lot for weather I buy or not, but any one actually tried good Pendfolds or Henschke? either if its well aged or where it comes from but love to hear from you
Nope, but I dropped $500 on a bottle of Dom Perignon at the Pier Farm in Williamstown on the strand a couple of months back if that counts....

I'm not a snob by any means though

The FIL received several bottles as gifts during his career. All of the 95-98 vintage. He doesn't drink red, so they're pretty much mine.

There is a bit of ceremony involved. You have to decant and let breathe for 4 hours (which is why I'd be hesitant ordering at a restaurant or the like).

I've found it to be pretty underwhelming, but having said that, it was not cellared correctly, so I don't know.

Nope, but I dropped $500 on a bottle of Dom Perignon at the Pier Farm in Williamstown on the strand a couple of months back if that counts....

I'm not a snob by any means though

For that price you could have bought 20-25 bottles of wine or 10 bottles of spirits. Must be one hell of a drop if it's worth half a grand.

I've had a few. The ones I remember were the '86 which I drank in 2007 and it was spectacular. I also remember trying the '93 grange in 2007 which I was underwhelmed by, but I had been on a winery tour through SA and was getting over drinking red wine. A 20 year old Bin 707 is probably the best Penfolds wine I've had along with the '86 grange.

Had a 2010 Henschke hill of grace in 2020 which wads nice but not what I expected for the price. Also opened a 1979 Grange that night which I tipped down the sink as it had gone bad.

Bang for buck, the sweet spot is in the $50-$150 range and you'll get much better wines than Penfolds produce in that price range.

For that price you could have bought 20-25 bottles of wine or 10 bottles of spirits. Must be one hell of a drop if it's worth half a grand.
So its about $330 retail, so that price is actually not too bad in a restaurant. Wine is normally about double.

It's a bloody good drop, easily the best champagne I have had. Wouldn't be dropping that kind of cash on a regular basis though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back