Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat - BBQ, Other Food, Cats, Whatever

Remove this Banner Ad

At the time you could only get it through Bendigo Bank and Bank Australia although I think CommBank are involved now. Exclusive to first home buyers and you couldn't have a household income of $200k+ pa iirc. For Metro/Geelong areas the house price was capped at around $950k for regional I think it was $600k. You neeeded a 10% deposit and the govt would go in up to 25%, so in the banks eyes you could have a 35% deposit. No obligation to pay it back until you sell unless you started earning above that household income, although we intend to pay it back as soon as out finances allow so we can hold more equity long-term. There are some conditions about windfalls above $10k but if I were winning that much on a multi I would want to put it back into the house anyway.

Had a lawyer look over the contract when we signed. The conditions basically give the govt the right to do valuations and inspections (within reason), basically they just want to make sure you haven't trashed the place and you're not renting it out. Only been here 6 months but haven't heard from them once so it's already less contact than a landlord.

They have to approve major renovations. Basically you can make changes to the house but if you want to knock out a wall or build a second story they need to tick it off. One trick the lawyer pointed out was that if we make any changes that might improve the value of the house then we get to keep the equity from those changes. The flipside to that is if you destroyed the place and lowered the value they still want at least how much they put in.

With the uncertainty around interest rates and the market expected to stagnate we saw it as too good of a deal to pass up.
$950k seems a lot in Melb/Geelong considering the median is $800k

So if your improvement improves the value of the house your equity increases to replicate that value add? So 60% equity could rise to 65% for instance?

$950k seems a lot in Melb/Geelong considering the median is $800k

So if your improvement improves the value of the house your equity increases to replicate that value add? So 60% equity could rise to 65% for instance?
We actually didn't use the scheme to increase our purchasing power as it would have defeated the point of making our mortgage smaller.

Yeah that's right. This is how our lawyer put it in their advice letter

Improvements and Modifications to the Property

Any major improvements you make to the property that increase its value are attributed to your share of the property only, provided that the improvements were approved in advance by the Scheme Provider.

However, if you make modifications to the property that decrease the value, this decrease in value is attributed to your share only, which would result in the Scheme Provider having a a greater share of the resulting value than their initial contribution.

For example, if you purchase the property for $650,000, with the Scheme Provider contributing 25% as above, and you make approved improvements to the property such that its value increases to $700,000, the Scheme Provider’s share is still 25% of the initial $650,000 value ($165,000), but their share of the actual equity would have been reduced to 23.6%. If you made modifications to the property that decreased its value to $600,000, the Scheme Provider’s share would remain 25% of the initial $650,000 value ($165,000) and their share of the actual equity would have increased to 27.5%.

As far as 'approval' goes they basically told us to inform the govt of everything we did to improve the property. Even if it's something as simple as adding some new light fixtures or power sockets etc. We're not required to inform them about that but if it's seen to add value to the property then informing them leaves a paper trail.

Last edited:
We actually didn't use the scheme to increase our purchasing power as it would have defeated the point of making our mortgage smaller.

Yeah that's right. This is how our lawyer put it in their advice letter

As far as 'approval' goes they basically told us to inform the govt of everything we did to improve the property. Even if it's something as simple as adding some new light fixtures or power sockets etc. We're not required to inform them about that but if it's seen to add value to the property then informing them leaves a paper trail.
yeah ok that is quite interesting.

Good stuff

Yeah all this talk of inflation, supply chain issues making everything more expensive... cost of living due to war or whatever is all bullshit.
Shell was buying crude oil from Russia after the war started at the cheapest price it's been for a century and doubled their profit from last year.
Coles sell Kettle Chippies for $8.50 which is $5 more than the IGA near me. Don't tell me the little asian dude down the road talked Kettle Chippies into a cheaper wholesale prices for his tiny store than the supermarket chain with a thousand locations in the country.
Mate told me a can of beer was $17 at a pub near him (that's mostly because of tax I assume)

Granted I don't understand how economics works but I reckon prices are so high because campaigners are charging whatever the * they like.
Coles and woolworths can get ****ed who is paying $8.50 for Kettle chippies!??

Yeah all this talk of inflation, supply chain issues making everything more expensive... cost of living due to war or whatever is all bullshit.
Shell was buying crude oil from Russia after the war started at the cheapest price it's been for a century and doubled their profit from last year.
Coles sell Kettle Chippies for $8.50 which is $5 more than the IGA near me. Don't tell me the little asian dude down the road talked Kettle Chippies into a cheaper wholesale prices for his tiny store than the supermarket chain with a thousand locations in the country.
Mate told me a can of beer was $17 at a pub near him (that's mostly because of tax I assume)

Granted I don't understand how economics works but I reckon prices are so high because campaigners are charging whatever the * they like.
Apparently the supply chain is so ****ed chip prices have exploded even though potatoes are the same price they've been for the better part of a decade.

Was pretty funny they all went back down to a $3.50 'special' this week near me. Assuming none of that stock was moving at all.

Yep, monopoly type businesses have less volume of goods coming at the moment so they are using the relative lack of volume to do a little profiteering. You can buy the chippies from the IGA but everyone can't. Coles don't give a s**t who else gets a bargain because they can sell their massive share of the market for 40% more because * you.

Capitalism baby.

That is kinda a part of how inflation works too. More money in the economy and everyone wants a piece of the pie so everything goes up in price.

I

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

That is kinda a part of how inflation works too. More money in the economy and everyone wants a piece of the pie so everything goes up in price.
... yeah not in my economy their isn't. I've even resorted to growing my own vegetables.

Mind you I had a multi of Gentleman Roy into Pounding at 40-1. They dont give you the protest payout on them. :mad:

Chain of Lighting bloody unlucky too, should have won, if that had won and I'd lost on Gentleman Roy losing the protest I'd be so pissed. $2700 return.

Screenshot_2023-02-11-17-10-57-99_83e199cd358967ea9d0a9ebeedae12e2.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Australian Mens Cricket when they go outside of Australia ☠️
I feel like that's pretty most cricket sides these days, bar the Windies who are s**t everywhere. Although last series in Aus we flogged the Indians in the first test, but lost the series 2-1, so it is possible to turn around a s**t start. Trying to play silly buggers with selection and leaving out your form batsman doesn't help.

A diabolical display by our top order bats , can’t see it getting any better . * Warner off for a start . We used to laugh at Englands Dads army , that’s where we are now . Not to worry , I’m sure the bank baiances of the senior players will help them get over it .

So apparently seinfeld did use the real Stienbrenner but Larry cut his scene from the show because it didn't work.
How did you come across this?

How did you come across this?

I saw an interview with Larry David who mentioned they did some scenes with him. Larry said that Stienbrenner's acting was weak so he had to cut it. Apparently when Larry David called Stienbrenner to tell him they are cutting his scene, Stienbrenner said 'I'm a big boy, I can handle it' Anyway I decided to google Stienbrenner on seinfeld because I felt like watching him, and sure enough it was the first video. I just wanted to see the Larry David version.

I like pina coladas ... not so much getting caught in the rain though. And I've never even been to the dunes on the cape.

I was in Sydney recently. A bar advertised "we make any cocktail". "2 pina colados my fine lady" said I ... After a few minutes, she came back with the news that they didn't have all the required ingredients.

Rather than responding with FMD, I proferred the suggestion that the sign should be amended by inserting an asterisk (*) immediately after the words "any cocktail" and again below followed by the words "other than pina coladas".

The woman hitherto referred to as a "fine lady", or more particularly "my fine lady" took umbridge at my suggestion. My fall back request - Malibu and pineapple juice - was also out of the question. I settled for some random cocktail instead. If I'd thought of it, I would have ordered a Harvey Wallbanger, but I suspect it would have met with a similar outcome.

Subsequent requests for pina coladas at other venues serving alcoholic beverages have been similarly unsuccessful.

I saw an interview with Larry David who mentioned they did some scenes with him. Larry said that Stienbrenner's acting was weak so he had to cut it. Apparently when Larry David called Stienbrenner to tell him they are cutting his scene, Stienbrenner said 'I'm a big boy, I can handle it' Anyway I decided to google Stienbrenner on seinfeld because I felt like watching him, and sure enough it was the first video. I just wanted to see the Larry David version.
I didn't know that and I thought I was pretty much across everything Seinfeld

I like pina coladas ... not so much getting caught in the rain though. And I've never even been to the dunes on the cape.
The song actually has nothing to do with pina coladas, it's about a guy who is bored with his relationship and wants some variety

Last edited:
The song actually has nothing to do with pina coladas, it's about a guy who is bored with hos relationship and wants some variety
Him and his wife bond over how they were trying to cheat on each other.

Babooshka by Kate Bush has a pretty similar premise although the tone is a little more sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back