Strategy New recruiters

Remove this Banner Ad

But 50% of our list is from WA. They are cheaper to keep (salary cap). They have support networks already in place which made them into elite juniors so can keep building. Most kids don't leave home at 18 knowing how to be independent adults. I find their is often a stagnation in the development of a 1st / 2nd year Vic kid compared with the growth of the home grown talent. Who was the last Vic kid to hit the ground running? And don't say Mundy, many questioned his lackadaisical approach. Forgot about Neale, he's been excellent from the start.

Great post

33% of our list is from WA but I see your point.

The one thing we have not done well the last 5-6 years is to bring in WA talent and to scout the WAFL for 19-22 who are late developers and get them.

The hard bit with only one pick per round is sometimes a player is not worth pick 16, but goes before pick 34 like Adams this year and there is nothing you can do about that.

I think you could throw into the mix that there hasn't been the talent in WA for some time. It is interesting that although next year is supposed to be great for overall draft talent, this year is the best for WA talent - when is a better time to go to the well?

Last edited:

I got a strong feeling Mayne already signed two years deal like D.Pearce.:)

I think you could through into the mix that there hasn't been the talent in WA for some time. It is interesting that although next year is supposed to be great for overall draft talent, this year is the best for WA talent - when is a better time to go to the well?
Yeah. Only 12% comes from WA. A lot of that is top 5 talent that we have missed.

I can't believe people are considering another midfielder when we're getting scarily close to a Taberner delisting, Pav retirement, and Apeness rookie-listing. Not an ounce of hyperbole, but we'll have no bonafide full forward on our senior list. Wooooow!

Freo could miss out on an A Grade mid to reach for a C grade forward. :thumbsu:

Best available could be another Fyfe, then we can move the actual Fyfe to forward, and we'll have an a-grade mid and an a-grade forward!
Or... *cough* Petrevski-Seton *cough* and the ball would be coming in so smoothly we could keep Fyfe in the middle winning the ball and our forward line will be getting silver service so Tabs, Ape, McCarthy will suffice inside 50.

Or... *cough* Petrevski-Seton *cough* and the ball would be coming in so smoothly we could keep Fyfe in the middle winning the ball and our forward line will be getting silver service so Tabs, Ape, McCarthy will suffice inside 50.
Or the first bit, but Apeness is our Coleman medalist for 2017

I got a strong feeling Mayne already signed two years deal like D.Pearce.:)

D Pearce's manager is best in the business.

Then again list management doesn't seem to be our strong suit so maybe I'm overselling the prowess of Pearce's manager. Even Suban and De Boer et al. manage extraordinary longevity for the D grade players they are. We are like Noah's Ark for plodders.

I mean 2 year extension ( why 2 years? [ it's not like he was going anywhere] and why D Pearce?)

D Pearce should have been delisted 2 years ago not have had his contract extended by 2 years.

I'd be annoyed but not surprised if we took Petrvsky-Seton or kind in the draft. I'd rather us stock up on talls, and this is our chance to get the creme de la creme of talls, rather than pick 70 outcasts who have a 1/10 chance of making it.

Walters, Fyfe, Bennell, Hill, Neale = best in the business. Also Weller et al. showing good signs. All under 25. Our midfield area is set, it's the rest of the ground which is letting us down, has been the case for 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D Pearce's manager is best in the business.

Then again list management doesn't seem to be our strong suit so maybe I'm overselling the prowess of Pearce's manager. Even Suban and De Boer et al. manage extraordinary longevity for the D grade players they are. We are like Noah's Ark for plodders.

I mean 2 year extension ( why 2 years? [ it's not like he was going anywhere] and why D Pearce?)

D Pearce should have been delisted 2 years ago not have had his contract extended by 2 years.
we tend to do the opposite when come to draft ,trade and contract extension. I still think 1 year is fair for both parties.

Freo could miss out on an A Grade mid to reach for a C grade forward. :thumbsu:

C grade forward still better than no forward, which is where we may be (likely) heading.

Even if Tabs continues to develop he still can't anchor the forward line. Apeness might be 50/50 to make it with his injuries - still unexposed to AFL level & an unknown quality etc.

I'm really liking Josh Battle - I hear he's in the "Jack Darling mould". Who would have thought we'd ever have the chance to get a player like Darling?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/draft-picks-not-priority-for-dockers-20160516-gowjxy.html

Changes imminent in list management perhaps. Me thinks so.

"With Fremantle sitting at 0-8 and having dropped from the top to the bottom of the AFL home-and-away ladder, Rosich also revealed that the club was nearing the end of an extensive list management review in the recognition improvement was required in that area.

The club has brought in founding captain and recently retired football director Ben Allan to help oversee the list review which will come to a conclusion next month. Rosich, Lyon, football boss Bond, list manager Brad Lloyd, along with three club directors, have contributed to a new strategic list plan."

I'd be annoyed but not surprised if we took Petrvsky-Seton or kind in the draft. I'd rather us stock up on talls, and this is our chance to get the creme de la creme of talls, rather than pick 70 outcasts who have a 1/10 chance of making it.

Walters, Fyfe, Bennell, Hill, Neale = best in the business. Also Weller et al. showing good signs. All under 25. Our midfield area is set, it's the rest of the ground which is letting us down, has been the case for 5 years.
I'd be more annoyed if we have a top 5 pick and reached for a B or C-grade tall because there are none that aren't academy players worth a top 10 pick in the draft to my knowledge. KPPs that get picked early often have such high expectations as it is, let alone if a club uses a higher pick than they were really worth at the time due to needs.

If there was a Weitering or Schache again this draft, no question, but this draft has some phenomenal footballers in the top 5 but none of them are KPPs. Shouldn't stop us from picking up a decent tall with a second (if we can create one somehow) or third - and more again the following draft.

I have been very critical of our list managers for some time . Bond ,Lloyd and Walls have got us in the position we are in now because they have not been prepared to trade players for better draft picks .They've kept players on our list who under performed ,never had it or not continued to improve
Duffy ,Vandeleur and Menegola . They also have not done due diligence on some of the players they have recruited .Gumblton ,Simpson and Sylvia
Just look at our list over the last few years and the fact that aging players have broken down in the last weeks of the seasons and the current list contains players that are struggling at WAFL level .
Hannath ,Crozier and Smith
Players that have not improved or are past their best
DeBoer , Barlow , Suban , Mayne ,Mzungu , C Pearce and Clarke .
Players that will retire either this year or next IMO
Pavlich ,Johnson ,Dawson ,D Pearce , Griffin and Sandilands .
Morabito is the other player that a hard decision will have to be made on at the end of the year .If we can't get him on the paddock and playing regular games then the call must be made .
That's not all of the players on our list that are in the sights of the list management . Of the new recruits Collins and Nyhuis need to show more .
If we are to go forward then hard calls must be made on the coaching panel , Medical department and the recruiting personal .
The Peel arrangement has to be worked on and that means who ever is Coaching the team must apply the same team rules and game plan as the league team .

I have been very critical of our list managers for some time . Bond ,Lloyd and Walls have got us in the position we are in now because they have not been prepared to trade players for better draft picks .They've kept players on our list who under performed ,never had it or not continued to improve
Duffy ,Vandeleur and Menegola . They also have not done due diligence on some of the players they have recruited .Gumblton ,Simpson and Sylvia
Just look at our list over the last few years and the fact that aging players have broken down in the last weeks of the seasons and the current list contains players that are struggling at WAFL level .
Hannath ,Crozier and Smith
Players that have not improved or are past their best
DeBoer , Barlow , Suban , Mayne ,Mzungu , C Pearce and Clarke .
Players that will retire either this year or next IMO
Pavlich ,Johnson ,Dawson ,D Pearce , Griffin and Sandilands .
Morabito is the other player that a hard decision will have to be made on at the end of the year .If we can't get him on the paddock and playing regular games then the call must be made .
That's not all of the players on our list that are in the sights of the list management . Of the new recruits Collins and Nyhuis need to show more .
If we are to go forward then hard calls must be made on the coaching panel , Medical department and the recruiting personal .
The Peel arrangement has to be worked on and that means who ever is Coaching the team must apply the same team rules and game plan as the league team .
D Pearce has at least 2 more years after this

It will never happen Coulda, maybe moving to Cockburn might change but can't see how it can happen.

Calls were made on the coaching panel, we got 3 new ones
Just use three of them as a good excuse to point finger at them , since they are new and we are losing match.

.... our list managers for some time ..... have not been prepared to trade players for better draft picks .

This is it to me in a nutshell. Many of us say "player X wasn't available at our pick" - well what we should have done (perhaps we tried - but there's no evidence) is trade for better position in the draft.

A hypothetical 'Ibbotson and our 16 for your pick 12' might have enabled us to land McCarthy before GWS swooped. And IIRC a lot of talls were taken in the 2015 draft right before our picks :(

It just seems as though we've been treading water, list-wise, for some time.

This is it to me in a nutshell. Many of us say "player X wasn't available at our pick" - well what we should have done (perhaps we tried - but there's no evidence) is trade for better position in the draft.

A hypothetical 'Ibbotson and our 16 for your pick 12' might have enabled us to land McCarthy before GWS swooped. And IIRC a lot of talls were taken in the 2015 draft right before our picks :(

It just seems as though we've been treading water, list-wise, for some time.
That's the issue though. Talls kept getting taken before us from 2008-current and the recruiters just waited for the next year and allowed it to happen all over again. The only time they reached was for Apeness and he's been injured ever since. They also get tabs onto the rookie list and give him an astonishing timeframe to prove himself while not adding any extras.

Alex Pearce looks like he will make it but the cupboard is bare now due to the previous 5 years of recruiting and the draft won't solve it for another 3 years till they are big enough. We have to use our first pick on a tall forward though, have to. It can be for a trade but we have to have someone decent up front to replace Pav.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back