Analysis New Rule Changes 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nine new AFL rule changes announced for 2019 season
By Nic Negrepontis 41 minutes ago
17RiFr15JW_0625.jpg

The AFL has today announced nine new rule changes for the 2019 AFL season.

The immediate standout is the scrapping of the hands in the back rule – a staple of the game for a long time.

A push in the back will remain a free kick, but the placing of hands on the back will no longer result in a free.

While we will not see an 18 metre goal square, the player on the mark after a behind will be placed five metres further back.

Players can now run through the goal square and take off without having to kick the ball to themselves. They can also now handball the ball out from a behind.

The much-touted 6-6-6 set-up at centre bounces has been approved. This means all clubs must have six players in each area of the ground after a goal.

Read the AFL’s full breakdown of the new rule changes below, as per AFL.com.au

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.

• Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.

Kick-ins

• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.

• Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.

Marks and free kicks in defence

• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.

Runners and water carriers

• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.

• Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.

Umpire contact

• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.

50m penalties

• The player with the ball:

• Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.

• Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.

Kicking for goal after the siren

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:

• Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick

• BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.

Marking contests

• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:

• Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest

• PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.

Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.

• Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire

Meh, some good, some bad.

Traditional playing positions at centre bounces
Be interesting to see how many frees are awarded. Does it just get awarded to the ruckman?

Kick-ins

I like the change in the kicking to self aspect. Not sure why they ever changed from 10m to 5m, good to see it return.

Marks and free kicks in defence
They already allow defenders space. Not sure why forwards aren't accorded the same when they're jammed against the fence.

Runners and water carriers

Logical. What will be the penalty if a runner is still exiting when the ball is bounced?

Umpire contact

Meh.

50m penalties

Finally. Ridiculous that an infringing player can slow the progress. Wish they'd looked at players who deliberately delay returning the footy by laying on it or holding the player down so they can't get up to take there kick. They're both clearly deliberate delaying tactics.

Kicking for goal after the siren

Ridiculous.

Marking contests

Return to the old school interpretation.

Ruck contests: prior opportunity

The uncertainty over designated ruck looks like it'll continue to be a cluster-f*^#

Haven't you always been able to snap a goal after the siren as long as you stayed in line with the mark? I don't get it.

Nah, can't move of your line which is what you do as soon as turn side on and take a step. Not sure how it'll work or why they think it's an advantage given the number of times players tried it and missed (ie Raynor)

I think you’ll be allowed to move off your mark then walk back onto the mark as you snap but I’m not sure.

Doesn't help if you're jammed against the fence (nowhere to walk to) but that's my reading as well.

It was my New Year's resolution from a few years ago to focus on the positive. I've lapsed, because I am a profoundly miserable bastard, but AFL rule changes are always a good occasion to look on the bright side:

- Kick-ins: sounds sensible.
- Runners: they are an eyesore, a blight upon the game. Any initiative to limit their movement is a positive.
- 50m penalties: sounds sensible.
- Hands in the back: I like the relaxed interpretation, but we just need to see it implemented in a consistent way.

I apply the simplest of all rules:

• Does it benefit Collingwood?

Yes - great rule change

No - dreadful rule change

Can not get fairer than that.

Last edited:
I don't mind these changes.
Normally when the AFL change rules I jump up and down having a tantrum yelling out stop f***ing with the game.
This year; all calm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The water carriers one is a bit harsh given some of the very hot days we have early on in the season or when playing in the NT.

Wish they had addressed the most annoying one for mine and that is incorrect disposal/holding the ball rule.

I'm pleased with the 6-6-6 starting positions, bloody thankful they didn't extend the goal square as that would have altered the cosmetic of the game forever while the only rule change I'm somewhat concerned over is that I haven't missed the days when players could push there opponent blatantly in the back with both hands and be awarded the mark.

Overlooking incidental contact in the back is a good move but it's a very fine line between a player simply holding his position with his hands and a genuine push in the back and introducing more grey areas that invite an umpires interpretation genuinely only leads to more confusion and frustration for players and fans alike.

I'm pleased with the 6-6-6 starting positions, bloody thankful they didn't extend the goal square as that would have altered the cosmetic of the game forever while the only rule change I'm somewhat concerned over is that I haven't missed the days when players could push there opponent blatantly in the back with both hands and be awarded the mark.

Overlooking incidental contact in the back is a good move but it's a very fine line between a player simply holding his position with his hands and a genuine push in the back and introducing more grey areas that invite an umpires interpretation genuinely only leads to more confusion and frustration for players and fans alike.
Also validates monstering Cox.

Playing on without the kick to yourself is sensible and a much better resolution than extending the goal square. Not sure what implications it will have on stats though, but that's changed a few times anyway.

Playing on without the kick to yourself is sensible and a much better resolution than extending the goal square. Not sure what implications it will have on stats though, but that's changed a few times anyway.

Don't think kick-to-yourself (or kick-ins themselves, for that matter) are counted by Champion Data as "Disposals".

That subject came up a few years ago. I vaguely remember that it was in reference to Yagmoor officially not registering a touch on debut, despite taking kick-ins...

The water carriers one is a bit harsh given some of the very hot days we have early on in the season or when playing in the NT.

Wish they had addressed the most annoying one for mine and that is incorrect disposal/holding the ball rule.

Amendment to the heat policy...?

Don't think kick-to-yourself (or kick-ins themselves, for that matter) are counted by Champion Data as "Disposals".

That subject came up a few years ago. I vaguely remember that it was in reference to Yagmoor officially not registering a touch on debut, despite taking kick-ins...
This tweet might clarify things

That is correct kick ins or kick to self are non stats just restarting play.

Which would mean if a player roosts the ball from a kick in and it went through for a goal, it would be deemed like an out on the full or kick in that reaches the boundary line without being touched.

(Yes this is theory only.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back