Analysis New rule changes for or against us ???

New rule changes are hurting our game style

• Yes

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Just missing Mcginnity's manic influence as sub ?

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

wraglesweb

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
6 rounds in how do you think the new rule changes are affecting us if at all ?

Last edited:
Watched a game from last year and I think the 10m is affecting our setup.
I immediately noticed in that game that when the opposition had a mark on their half back someone would come in the 90 degree angle and stop them switching in board. Got really close to them so they had to try and play on around them if they wanted to switch. Now they are able to get a kick away.

Yes but shouldn't we better like the other teams ?
Home scores 166, 92, 125, 142

Avg 131.25

Impressive - not sure we could do much more - perhaps kick straighter? lol I know right?

Away scores 53, 49

Avg 51

Plenty room for improvement - so yes we could improve. But we played two extremely hard opponents with Geelong to come away this rnd.

Pretty difficult to score heavily when away from our fortress, something we've all discussed at length.

Home scores 166, 92, 125, 142

Avg 131.25

Impressive - not sure we could do much more - perhaps kick straighter? lol I know right?

Away scores 53, 49

Avg 51

Plenty room for improvement - so yes we could improve. But we played two extremely hard opponents with Geelong to come away this rnd.

Pretty difficult to score heavily when away from our fortress, something we've all discussed at length.
Look this wasn't just about how much we score etc it's about how it effects our game style entirely and other teams . Teams are playing attacking Football similar to us last year AFL is taking credit for it in the rule changes but is debatable. It was such a weapon of ours last year and if it is down to rule changes it's helped teams to get to our level and style of game plan faster which in essence hurts us a little. It's good to watch though to be honest i just don't think we have clicked into gear yet or we have had at stages but haven't mantained it for four quaters

Last edited:
Your OP said that our scoring was down this year.

Now it doesn't, of course.
Yeah i didn't want the thread to be just about our scoring more about how the rule changes are generally effecting us. Our scoring is a little down though and on average other teams are up but i put that down to form more than anything

Yeah i didn't want the thread to be just about our scoring more about how the rule changes are generally effecting us. Our scoring is a little down though and on average other teams are up but i put that down to form more than anything
Yea I agree, nothing to do with new rules, think we are just down on confidence away from home, and we played 2 top teams on the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lower boundary throw ins is affecting us as we aren't able to use Nic Nats dominance as well and have our defence set up at the same time.
Yeah was thinking the same thing i noticed last year one of our methods to stop halting opposition momentum, Was to go wide and get as many boundary throw ins to reset etc and to stop the opposition getting a run on..

Look this wasn't just about how much we score etc it's about how it effects our game style entirely and other teams . Teams are playing attacking Football similar to us last year AFL is taking credit for it in the rule changes but is debatable. It was such a weapon of ours last year and if it is down to rule changes it's helped teams to get to our level and style of game plan faster which in essence hurts us a little. It's good to watch though to be honest i just don't think we have clicked into gear yet or we have had at stages but haven't mantained it for four quaters
I think the last bit is the part we need to improve, as even with the wins have not played well for four quarters yet. Let's hope this week against Geelong is when this changes.

Our gameplan relies a lot on running teams of thier feet ...so lower rotations would affect us yes

On the flip side we play our narrow ground well so the new deliberate out if bounds interpretation has probably benefited us

I don't think having less boundary throws in impacts us too much ....at boundary throw ins Nics leaping ability is neutralised a bit anyways .....plus we aren't a great at bursting away from packs ...we are a decent stoppage team but shuey is the only one who can accelerate away from congestion consistently

Just further to my prior thoughts.

I think the deliberate OOB is compounding with our low/poor tackling. We arent controlling where the stoppages are taking place and they are largely breaking up our offensive movements rather than the oppositions. When we try to attack centrally and get held up the opposition have many more options when they win the stoppage because we arent hard up against a boundary.

This makes it much harder for our zone to hold up as we are forced to defend much more ground ie one kick away is a much larger area

Back