New Saints Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Sainter

What do you think of the sacking of Nathan Burke as Saints captain? Who do you think will replace him?

It's almost like a repeat of what Blight did in Adelaide. There, he sacked Jarman, McDermott, and McGuiness to establish his authority over the club. Here he seems to have done the same by looking at changing the captain.

I think everyone expects a few heads to roll...

scene.gif
scene.gif
scene.gif
scene.gif
scene.gif
scene.gif
scene.gif

Blight's modus operandi is very intruiging

Get in there and shake a few up

Keep them guessing while ocaching and perhaps get some (largely unexpected) success

Don't worry too much about the future, You'll get out when you are bored anyway

Get Gary Ayres in to pick up the pieces. Gary will be an 'expert by the time he gets to st Kilda

Geelong survived (just) and adelaide will. But will the saints ? It's certainly a 'High Risk' Strategy

But would they care if they had a premiership or two ?

It's amazing this time of year.

The newspapers print any old crap & try to make it look like a major scoop...

Burke is on record for saying that he wanted to pass on the captaincy from the START of the season when it was reported that he had been re-appointed. He said he was keen to share it around with others.

Now I read how it's a major shake up....blah blah blah....

My tip is Harvey or Thompson.

Shinboners,

I don't know what to think to be honest.

I suppose a changing of the guard is not neccessarily a bad thing. Burkey was captain for 5 years and in line with the club seemingly being in a transitional stage, a new leader seems to be a logical decision.

Regardless of whether he is captain, he is always going to be an ongoing source of inspiration to the players and supporters alike. Next year he and Stewie will play their 300 games and pass the games record holder and that will be an exciting time for two true-blue saints.

As for who will be the next captain, that is a difficult question. It depends entirely on what kind of leader the club are looking for. The obvious candidates are Harvey, Thompson and Everitt.

The best argument for Spider becoming captain is that it will bring the best out of him. Personally I don't think he has earned that privilege. Malcolm Blight should be a positive influence on his career and for our sake, let's hope he matures as a person as well as a player.

Harvey and Thompson are both quiet achievers but both would do a great job. Being the type of people that they are, both would let their footy do the talking.

The dark horse would be someone like a Max Hudghton. Maybe he isn't even in consideration but I think he is worth being looked at. He has just turned 24, has been at the club since 1997 and has missed very few matches. He is quite vocal on the field and puts his heart and soul into every game. He is also a long term option, capable of leading the club for 6 or so years.

Mags,

Another beautifully articulated message. Keep up the good work!

Pessimistic,

The St Kilda Football Club are always going to be in a no win situation. Obviously we would love to win a few premierships and I am wondering what you are getting at. Blight may very well extend his 2 year deal in the future. No doubt there will be a lot of people hoping he won't so they can blame the St Kilda Football Club for failing again.

Thanks for the encouragement there sainter i will keep up the good work!

[This message has been edited by Mags (edited 27 September 2000).]

Is captaincy really that important in Ausie Rules. it's not like cricket where the captain runs the show. In footy, the coach runs the show.

All the captain does is toss the coin.

Sure, they are a leader, but what makes you think Burke wouldn't still be a leader even if he wasn't captain ? The captain isn't the only one who is vocal out there. I'm sure Gary Lyon was still the spiritual leader at melbourne even though Todd Viney was the captain in Lyons last season.

If someone is NOT the captain, that doesn't man they can't be a leader, or show leadership traits on the field.

If James Hird wsn't captin, all the players would still look up to him the same, as he would still be a leader. He just wouldn't toss the coin, that's all.

Is it really important for St.Kila who toses the coin.......really ?

i reckon andrew thompson is probably a good choice, think harvey is a bit old to become captain this late in his career, they need someone who will be around a while to help develop their young kids

there where whispers about spider everitt in an effort to make him take his footy a bit more seriously, a bit like hawthorn did with shane crawford
but i still think andrew thompson

just another this is mags quickly becoming as annoying and unintelligent as geelong4eva???

WIth the re-building faze that St Kilda are going through now i would suggest Blight would give to someone who is young, about 23 or 24 and still has nearly a decade left in him, giving him an opportunity to get used to the role of captaincy.
That is the reason i dont think Harvey or Thompson won't get it because they are 29 and 28 respectively, while Burke is 30. So they all have a pretty similar amount of time left in football.
The problem with that theory is that St Kilda dont really have any 23/24 year olds that have deserved the captaincy. Aussie Jones (25) could be a choice although his standard of football is really declining. Barry Hall (24) is another one around that age, altough you don't really picture him as a captain.
So there really aren't any youngsters that already reached a level where they have deserved the captaincy. So it will probably go to Thompson or Harvey.
To me, it seems stupid to take the captaincy of a 30 year old and give to a player who is 1 or 2 years younger.

------------------
For all your footballing needs be sure to visit my AFL web-site at http://www.geocities.com/eastsydney5/index.html

walshy1993 its looks to me your another one of those arrogant bomber pricks too me!
And it is not mags its spelt like this Dickhead! M-a-g-s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back