News New Sandringham jumpers for 2019

thequarry

Team Captain
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thread starter #1
Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but add it to the collection of VFA clubs being absorbed by AFL clubs, and their jumper designs being incorporated bit-by-bit as part of the process.
https://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/latest-news/sandringham-releases-clash-guernsey-for-2019

The new clash jumper, to be worn against Box Hill this Sunday in the curtain raiser at Docklands, and at the three games at Moorabbin (one of the few footy jumpers that can claim to have five colours):
saintsclash-wflgqbjqchqb.png

And Sandy's home jumper now has the St Kilda logo on the back:
sandyguernsey-wfyigirifmtg.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fumbler

Cyber enhanced for lulz
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but add it to the collection of VFA clubs being absorbed by AFL clubs, and their jumper designs being incorporated bit-by-bit as part of the process.
https://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/latest-news/sandringham-releases-clash-guernsey-for-2019

The new clash jumper, to be worn against Box Hill this Sunday in the curtain raiser at Docklands, and at the three games at Moorabbin (one of the few footy jumpers that can claim to have five colours):
View attachment 650478
That’s some serious disgusting right there.

AFL Club
St Kilda
When we announced we were going standalone Sandy almost folded. This was pretty clearly part of the deal to stay aligned.

It's sad though and I'd rather we try a bit harder to maintain their heritage in the clash. Surely there's a middle ground.

George

AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Liverpool
Moderator #10
Should've just put the side in a Red/Yellow/Black strip similar to our war era guernseys. We wore these for 7 years in the early 1900's

Would incorporate both the Sandy colours as well as a nod to a bit of our own heritage.

And this is just an idea from 5 minutes of spitballing. These guys had months to sort out a strip.

It looks absolutely disgusting as it stands now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
The jumper which I decide that they should wear is actually a historical jumper in the history of the Sandringham Football Club, the first jumper of the club itself. The club started out as a merger of three suburban football clubs, and each colour represents a colour of those clubs.

It wasn't a copy of the local team in the then VFL, as St.Kilda was still at St.Kilda at this time, and this was Sandringham in 1929.

This would bring together these two jumpers as the Sandringham jumpers.

The new clash jumper is just a modified St.Kilda jumper and shows no nothing of the history of Sandringham except for the addition of blue arm holes.

SparkleNarkle

Insert Quote Here
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
DJRTP, REN, MIA, UTA
Not sure why everyone's so worked up about Sandy's clash jumper. If it was the home jumper that was changed to look like the Saints, then I'd understand the frustration. But it's the clash jumper. It'll be worn three-four times in the season and it's an effective way of bringing a little St Kilda into Sandy. Big whoop

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
The AFL love killing the tradition of the VFA clubs so this was of no surprise to me

I swear I saw a picture of Port v South Adelaide where South Adelaide wearing a Geelong type top. WTF going on in our nation with our traditional club football jumpers? Really annoying across the board.

If it ain't broken, we'll **** it up seems to be the policy this decade on club jumpers.

raboyle

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District (SANFL)
I swear I saw a picture of Port v South Adelaide where South Adelaide wearing a Geelong type top. WTF going on in our nation with our traditional club football jumpers? Really annoying across the board.

If it ain't broken, we'll **** it up seems to be the policy this decade on club jumpers.
That design came from a jumper used during the Dan Moriarty years.

Chuckie357

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
People obviously missed the news that when moorabin was redeveloped that Sandringham would play a few games a year there IN a St Kilda guernsey. But that is just trash, what a sellout. Just make it the saints home jumper ffs

Rickee

Senior List
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Would they accept that in the AFL? Would St. Kilda fans be keen on adopting Sandringham's colours as their clash jumper?
I'm a St Kilda member and I despise it.
But I'm also A Port Melbourne member, so I never fully adopted Sandringham (or Springvale before that) anyway.

The AFL has mercilessly destroyed the independent history of Preston, Box Hill and Springvale already, so this isn't surprising, sadly.

Rickee

Senior List
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Not sure why everyone's so worked up about Sandy's clash jumper. If it was the home jumper that was changed to look like the Saints, then I'd understand the frustration. But it's the clash jumper. It'll be worn three-four times in the season and it's an effective way of bringing a little St Kilda into Sandy. Big whoop
Because we've seen it before, and it's the beginning of another non AFL club having it's independent identity and history erased to suit the AFL machine.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!

All good then. I assumed it was always a monogram SAFC
Their website (https://www.safc.com.au/premierships.html) has quite a few photos, including this one of their 1877 premiership side:
1555200503522.png

Top Bottom