Prediction New Senior Coach

Who should be appointed our new coach from 2020 onwards?

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 42 14.1%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 31 10.4%
  • Horse Longmire

Votes: 41 13.8%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 108 36.2%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 28 9.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 35 11.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a stats person however some smarter peeps than me have posted stats about changes in key areas under The Shaw Thing as coach like kicks to handball ratios, other posters have commented on playing players in their natural positions and I believe we have had 3 of our biggest consecutive scores ( not to mention wins) for quite some time. Now I admit I may be completely clueless however if I was Sherlock Holmes and you were mr Watson I would be saying "it's elementary my dear Watson, north are no longer playing to Scott's plan".

Stern look

You forgot this -> :

The kick to handball ratio is the only thing, and frankly I'm surprised its as low as it is cos the game doesn't look that much different. More direct but that's about it. The players are playing in the same positions they were playing. JZ is back in the middle. When that happened under Scotts everyone was "Oh Noes Not Again" but its worked out okay. They aren't doing that much different but they are doing it much better.

The only two changes i can think of are "Move it on faster" and "Don't handball as much". Naturally this brings better results cos the ball gets down to the forward line faster and leaves less opportunity for the defense to structure up. But we've only played an undermanned Richmond defense and the Suns so it could have just been the luck of the draw in terms of forward line effectiveness.

Before the Carlton game we had over 50 i50s once. Since then had less than 50 only twice and one of those was the win against Richmond. In that game our forward pressure was immense and probably kept the ball in there enough to count as the equivalent of another 10 i50s as well.

One change is the Goal Assist ratio. Its been higher than the opposition since Scott's last game. And in fact its been lower than the opposition only once since we lost to * but noticeably higher since the Dogs game.

Interestingly someone posted something about Higgo's stats being similar over the season - not many till the last few weeks then significantly more as well.

REPORTS: Roos to fight hard for Longmire
The Swans have a fight on their hands here.

STEPHEN MARSON
EDITOR
JUNE 11, 2019 - 10:20 AM
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 29: John Longmire, coach of the Swans looks on during the round two AFL match between the Sydney Swans and the Adelaide Crows at Sydney Cricket Ground on March 29, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/AFL Media/Getty Images)
North Melbourne are set to throw everything they can at John Longmire, as they continue to search for a successor to Brad Scott.

Despite Longmire being contracted at the Swans until the end of the 2020 season, the Roos believe the former North Melbourne 200-gamer is “gettable”, according to Channel 7’s Tom Browne.

Browne believes Longmire is the Roos’ number one target, and the club could offer him a deal worth over five years, at over $1million per season.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

In the wake of North Melbourne’s interests, the Swans are set to offer Longmire an extension, but that may only be a new two or three year deal, with North Melbourne set to offer him a longer, more lucrative contract.

If Longmire accepts North Melbourne’s offer, he’ll likely become the highest-paid coach in the afl.
7NEWS.com.au understands there’s no way the Swans release Longmire from his contract, with Sydney set to seek clarification from the AFL Coaches Association surrounding the Roos’ interest in an under-contract coach.

While there are currently no rules stopping a club from poaching a contracted coach from another club, the AFLCA would likely ask North Melbourne to approach the Swans before they speak to Longmire.

Longmire has a 64.9% winning record from 208 games as Sydney coach, and took them to premiership success in 2012.

Don't really understand the appeal of Horse - Has underachieved with that Sydney list. To bring in the best forward of the modern era and not win a flag, is enough to justify a no from me.
Franklin aside, their list had a distinctly average look about it for the past 5 or so years, yet they mostly played finals and had a very recognizable hard at it brand of football. His winning percentage is extremely high. He is a Premiership coach, and he has rebuilt the list without top picks or any major list management master strokes. I think if Shaw doesn't force our hand with an unexpected run of wins, Horse is very close to the best available, just behind Clarkson IMO.

Don't really understand the appeal of Horse - Has underachieved with that Sydney list. To bring in the best forward of the modern era and not win a flag, is enough to justify a no from me.
i second this, will be the same or worse than BS imho.

Franklin aside, their list had a distinctly average look about it for the past 5 or so years, yet they mostly played finals and had a very recognizable hard at it brand of football. His winning percentage is extremely high. He is a Premiership coach, and he has rebuilt the list without top picks or any major list management master strokes. I think if Shaw doesn't force our hand with an unexpected run of wins, Horse is very close to the best available, just behind Clarkson IMO.
I’m greedy and want both Shaw and Longmire.
I believe the biggest decision we can make as a club at the moment is director of football. Some who’s above the coach but is across all aspects, development, recruitment, etc. I think, it’s where Longmire would be fantastic.

STEPHEN MARSON
EDITOR
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 29: John Longmire, coach of the Swans looks on during the round two AFL match between the Sydney Swans and the Adelaide Crows at Sydney Cricket Ground on March 29, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/AFL Media/Getty Images)
North Melbourne are set to throw everything they can at John Longmire, as they continue to search for a successor to Brad Scott.

Despite Longmire being contracted at the Swans until the end of the 2020 season, the Roos believe the former North Melbourne 200-gamer is “gettable”, according to Channel 7’s Tom Browne.

Browne believes Longmire is the Roos’ number one target, and the club could offer him a deal worth over five years, at over $1million per season.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

In the wake of North Melbourne’s interests, the Swans are set to offer Longmire an extension, but that may only be a new two or three year deal, with North Melbourne set to offer him a longer, more lucrative contract.

If Longmire accepts North Melbourne’s offer, he’ll likely become the highest-paid coach in the afl.
7NEWS.com.au understands there’s no way the Swans release Longmire from his contract, with Sydney set to seek clarification from the AFL Coaches Association surrounding the Roos’ interest in an under-contract coach.

While there are currently no rules stopping a club from poaching a contracted coach from another club, the AFLCA would likely ask North Melbourne to approach the Swans before they speak to Longmire.

Longmire has a 64.9% winning record from 208 games as Sydney coach, and took them to premiership success in 2012.

I like this strategy. Forcing Sydney to sign Horse keeps them out of the market for potentially available coaches and ties them to him just as things are getting bad, ideally keeping them out of the 8 for a few years in a row. This hurts our competition on two fronts.

I love how this Josh Kelly narrative is rearing its head again too. I wonder how much truth there is to this story and how much of it is some dickhead manager trying to get Horse a better deal.

STEPHEN MARSON
EDITOR

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

So we will be known to have the highest payed coach in the AFL? No thanks. I dont understand the appeal of Horse either....

I’m greedy and want both Shaw and Longmire.
I believe the biggest decision we can make as a club at the moment is director of football. Some who’s above the coach but is across all aspects, development, recruitment, etc. I think, it’s where Longmire would be fantastic.

If we did get Longmire, I am sure Shaw would consider staying on. He has only been with us for 1 year, and wasn't going anywhere prior to Brad leaving.
In saying that, I still think it's Shaw's job to lose the way he started. If he can win 5 or more games from here, he'd be hard to go past. If he wins as much as 7, he's got the job.

Would have won one in 2016 were it not for #freekickbulldogs. One of the most blatantly fixed grand finals in memory.

Taken them to 3 grand finals. Has their list been so much greater than everyone else's? It was Mitch bloody Morton that won them the 2012 granny of his own boot.

I'm not sold on him either, but not so much for his record at Sydney, and more for the horrendously dull game plan.

Without commenting on getting Longmire per se how's this. Lols. Don't recall Sydney checking with us before running extra players on the ground. They can G&GF if they think we owe them anything.

Does anyone have any inside info regarding Horse? All I see is Barrett flogging a dead story (didn’t want to say horse) to make himself look good if a deal was to come off. I think all other contenders (Clarkson, Mitchell, Simpson) are off the table. Surely that leaves Shaw? Who else would we look at?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negativity towards Horse here is laughable.

We've got more votes for Sam Mitchell, who's been an assistant for two years, than a premiership-winner who has the fourth best winning percentage of anyone who has coached more than 100 games in the history of the sport.

Glad you lot don't get a say on this decision. Mitchell could be the next Clarkson, but he's far more likely to be the next Neeld.
Not a Mitchel fan either but I still reckon Longmire has underachieved with a good list, extra cap money etc etc. Interested in why you disagree.

You forgot this -> :

The kick to handball ratio is the only thing, and frankly I'm surprised its as low as it is cos the game doesn't look that much different. More direct but that's about it. The players are playing in the same positions they were playing. JZ is back in the middle. When that happened under Scotts everyone was "Oh Noes Not Again" but its worked out okay. They aren't doing that much different but they are doing it much better.

The only two changes i can think of are "Move it on faster" and "Don't handball as much". Naturally this brings better results cos the ball gets down to the forward line faster and leaves less opportunity for the defense to structure up. But we've only played an undermanned Richmond defense and the Suns so it could have just been the luck of the draw in terms of forward line effectiveness.

Before the Carlton game we had over 50 i50s once. Since then had less than 50 only twice and one of those was the win against Richmond. In that game our forward pressure was immense and probably kept the ball in there enough to count as the equivalent of another 10 i50s as well.

One change is the Goal Assist ratio. Its been higher than the opposition since Scott's last game. And in fact its been lower than the opposition only once since we lost to * but noticeably higher since the Dogs game.

Interestingly someone posted something about Higgo's stats being similar over the season - not many till the last few weeks then significantly more as well.

We're going long down the boundary more instead of short passes or fart arsing around with handballs by the D50 trying to break their zone. Several players are also noticeably more proactive (LDU + Polec) due to a change in messaging. Higgins is an interesting one, and honestly what I was seeing the last couple of weeks was him NOT pausing for a half second with the ball in hand looking for a lateral option, which seems to have resulted in more fast first choice options being executed (Still hacking it from the middle a bit too much though!). Add in a 'hunt and hurt' focus and we're getting great results, albeit against some poor opponents.

Not a Mitchel fan either but I still reckon Longmire has underachieved with a good list, extra cap money etc etc. Interested in why you disagree.

If underachieving is averaging 16 wins a year including three seasons of 19 wins, you don't know the meaning of the word. Flags are very tough to win and getting to the pointy end of the year is most of the battle. I haven't done the year by year analysis of why they didn't play to their best in finals, but that record is the envy of every coach not named Alistair Clarkson.

If underachieving is averaging 16 wins a year including three seasons of 19 wins, you don't know the meaning of the word. Flags are very tough to win and getting to the pointy end of the year is most of the battle. I haven't done the year by year analysis of why they didn't play to their best in finals, but that record is the envy of every coach not named Alistair Clarkson.

Personally, I think more people don't want to see us play the Longmire brand of football and this is used as excuse.

Negative coach who in my mind should have played in the last game of the year more in his time. Had the world and delivered nice stats in win/loss ratio, but one flag says underachieved. The word I hear is that he is the only target and some suggest a done deal (nod, handshake). I suspect we will get our chance to judge his ability.

Completely agree and written previously.

Longmire is a good coach.

Not a great coach despite his W/L record (which is like saying Cameron is a great coach.....when you take a Ferrari it's very highly likely your driving ability won't determine if you still beat a Corolla to the line)

Completely agree and written previously.

Longmire is a good coach.

Not a great coach despite his W/L record (which is like saying Cameron is a great coach.....when you take a Ferrari it's very highly likely your driving ability won't determine if you still beat a Corolla to the line)

How many years has it been since they haven't had COLA?

How many years has it been since they haven't had COLA?

It was already built though, as per Academies. They had a big head start and Sydney already established.

I'm not anti-horse, as i said he's no doubt a good coach and his record reflects that, just don't think he's as special as some think.

If Rhyce keeps delivering I'm more than happy to give him the position without thinking Longmire automatically would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back