Prediction New Senior Coach

Who should be appointed our new coach from 2020 onwards?

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 42 14.1%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 31 10.4%
  • Horse Longmire

Votes: 41 13.8%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 108 36.2%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 28 9.4%
  • Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 35 11.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's only ever coached teams with a significant onfield advantage over the comp.

Sydney - COLA

Dees - priority picks

Let's get Lance Armstrong in to coach us on how to be elite endurance athletes the way he managed to come first in all those Tours.

Yep and Beveridge only has a flag because of umpires, Hardwick only has a flag because of a charmed injury run, Scott was handed a flag by Bomber, Worsfold only has one because of drugs, Horse only because of COLA etc.

Mighty tough to win an untainted flag these days.

Yep, the diminution of Damian Barrett has been awful to watch.
Some of his winners this year include: "Freo are genuine contenders" and "should ruffling your opponent's hair after you kick a goal be outlawed for workplace mental health reasons".

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep and Beveridge only has a flag because of umpires, Hardwick only has a flag because of a charmed injury run, Scott was handed a flag by Bomber, Worsfold only has one because of drugs, Horse only because of COLA etc.

Mighty tough to win an untainted flag these days.

No, the Dogs/Tiges etc are subjective footy fan whinges.

Roos had a TEN PER CENT higher salary cap to work with at the Swans!!!!!!!!!

Imagine what Clarko could do with that.

Plus free swings at talented 'local' players.

The competition was and is so compromised even North Korean election officials are said to find it on the nose.

No, the Dogs/Tiges etc are subjective footy fan whinges.

Imagine what Clarko could do with that.

He won a flag with Jason Ball as his ruckman and Nic Fosdike nearly winning a Norm Smith. It's not like he had some super list, but he created an enviable culture there where blokes played for each other. If anything Hall not getting suspended for punching Maguire is more of an asterisk than COLA.

Are Clarko's flags compromised because Freo handed them Hodge and then they tanked and got Franklin, Roughead and Lewis in the same draft?

I dislike Roos as much as you do but let's not pretend he wasn't a very good coach just because he was mean once to Cunnington and Ziebell.

Last edited:
He won a flag with Jason Ball as his ruckman and Nic Fosdike nearly winning a Norm Smith. It's not like he had some super list, but he created an enviable culture there where blokes played for each other. If anything Hall not getting suspended for punching Maguire is more of an asterisk than COLA.

Are Clarko's flags compromised because Freo handed them Hodge and then they tanked and got Franklin, Roughead and Lewis in the same draft?

I dislike Roos as much as you do but let's not pretend he wasn't a very good coach just because he was mean once to Cunnington and Ziebell.

I'll agree he was a very good coach but he's not in the great coach bracket, let alone the elite like say Barassi or Clarko.

He's in the same bag as Hardwick for mine - premiership coaches, created good culture sure.

Step below the likes of Pagan - who won multiple flags, or Blight.

And as discussed, another step again below the true legends.

As I said, if Rhys gets the job and wants him there, I'm all for it and if it brings flag five, ya for Roosy.

If Shaw gets him down and it doesn't bring five, indeed it leads Roosy to pontificating about how he COULD have won the flag apart from x/y/z failings at North, you will be brought to account for that my friend.

I can cope with a 4 year deal provided it is performance based. They never seem to be. How about you agree that after two years we should be XYZ and if not the contract can be terminated. Seems to me clubs are so keen to lock in a particular coach the contract is all about them.

Anything concrete about Roosy coming to North?

I'm on the other end of the spectrum - 100% behind getting him in.

Why? What has he done at any club of recent years with a positive result. His reputation baffles me. No Roos please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can cope with a 4 year deal provided it is performance based. They never seem to be. How about you agree that after two years we should be XYZ and if not the contract can be terminated. Seems to me clubs are so keen to lock in a particular coach the contract is all about them.

I think the mentality previously has been about providing coaches enough time for them to make brave choices rather than planning always for just the next 12 months... whether that is the right choice, I'm not so sure.

Personally I think that the move in the industry over the next few years will be further towards the football department / manager being the longer term structural force and the coach less so than they have been previously. For that kind of structure I'm not convinced you need to give coaches 5 year rebuild carte blanche - as long as the expectations and resources are fair to both parties.

Why? What has he done at any club of recent years with a positive result. His reputation baffles me. No Roos please.
I'm okay with his record. I don't think he's a coaching messiah, nor a mentoring messiah, but I can see how he could offer some value in bringing in a new perspective and experience at the same time.

My concerns with Roos is that he believes his own hype (you can see it in his feeble attempts to fend off praise) and that he'll be a 'tell-er' not a facilitator. What I want from someone in a Director of Coaching role, is that they 'hold space' for and to mentor the coaches, and ensure good solid decision-making after taking into account a range of views. (I can see this position chairing the Selection Committee, if done well.) I think they're there to support, to the hilt, the Senior Coach and to also be devil's advocate for him.

With Roos, I'm concerned he's too prone to advocating his own views, at the expense of evoking and considering other views, and that means, if the suggestions that Brad was a one-man band are correct, we'll simply end up with a similar problem. He tries to disguise it with false modesty, but he's got a pretty big ego and I'm not sure how he'll go with reporting to Brady, which I assume would be the structure.

Again, people seem to think if Roos walks through our doors, the coaching style changes and he's effectively coaching in all but the role and Shaw has zero influence, voice, and impact if he was mentored.

You're a stubborn bunch, really are.

spot on. Roos will provide a mentoring role and oversee all the other stuff surrounding being a senior coach that doesn't involve game day coaching. Shaw mentioned a while ago that he didn't realise how much time away from just coaching.

56% w/l with the swans
+27% w/l with the dees over 3 seasons
56% w/l in finals

I think it's more to what Scooby is saying though. It would be for him to allow Shaw to remain hands on and closer to the playing group.

Can’t wait to see what Shaw does with our boys in 2020 when or if he gets that contract

His style and direction with the way he wants us to play will come to tuition with a full pre-season

Exciting times ahead IMO

Can’t wait to see what Shaw does with our boys in 2020 when or if he gets that contract

His style and direction with the way he wants us to play will come to tuition with a full pre-season

Exciting times ahead IMO

On exposed form the style is boundary first which is going to create games that are a grind of contest after contest played between the 50s.

We'd want to clean up our ability to convert from inside 50s when it's highly contested.

56% w/l with the swans
+27% w/l with the dees over 3 seasons
56% w/l in finals

I think it's more to what Scooby is saying though. It would be for him to allow Shaw to remain hands on and closer to the playing group.
Yesterdays hero. Please no Roos.

Yesterdays hero. Please no Roos.

Can't argue against what you feel. I think his record is strong but understand there's a general dislike out there for his personality.

Poor Caro, her North sources must be drying up.... she's missed one we've spoken too!

I stopped watching Footy Calcified ages ago, Caro bores me know end with her innane hyperbole.

If the club deems Shawy the right person for the job, so be it. If Roos comes with him in some capacity, then ok.

Not at all. The Blakey family are dead to me.
Whilst I wouldn’t go as far on the John playing career criticism, I do find looking at him and his son makes my skin crawl.
How ANYBODY who has played a significant amount of games for this club, or the son of, who has followed North his whole life, can then turn around and choose that propped up, total antithesis of North, type club just baffles the mind.
Says to me you never got what it was to be a North supporter. How could unot desperately want take North to the promised land.
So yeah, a bit dead to me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back